ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR or EEA PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adityansingh
Newly Registered

ILR or EEA PR

Post by adityansingh » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi .. My Name is Vishal .. I was married to An EEA national in Aug 2011 and since then I am on EEA Family permit ( granted Sep 2011 ) . I have just completed 4 years on the same visa in the mean while my wife got British citizenship a couple of years earlier ( around Jul 2013 ).

I was of the openion that i would qualify for ILR after 5 years on this visa, however since my wife is British now, can I apply through the " 2 year" route of ILR ???

Another question was - I believe i also have the option of applying for EEA PR which would be very very cheap in comparison to ILR. Could you please guide me if I am eligible to apply for any of these now ?

Special request to ''Manci'' to kindly help ...

Note : - I have been living lawfully althroughout and in regular employment.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR or EEA PR

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:34 pm

adityansingh wrote:Hi .. My Name is Vishal .. I was married to An EEA national in Aug 2011 and since then I am on EEA Family permit ( granted Sep 2011 ) . I have just completed 4 years on the same visa in the mean while my wife got British citizenship a couple of years earlier ( around Jul 2013 ).

I was of the openion that i would qualify for ILR after 5 years on this visa, however since my wife is British now, can I apply through the " 2 year" route of ILR ??? No, you cannot. There is no '2 year' route anymore. A spouse visa is also a 5 year route, there is no shortcut. As you are on the EEA Family Permit route, it will be quicker and cheaper for you to remain on this route rather than think of changing to the UK Immigration rules for spouse of British citizens.

Another question was - I believe i also have the option of applying for EEA PR which would be very very cheap in comparison to ILR. Could you please guide me if I am eligible to apply for any of these now ? You qualify for PR after 5 years on EEA FP, so next year.

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:48 pm

adityansingh wrote:Note : - I have been living lawfully althroughout and in regular employment.
More importantly, has your EEA national spouse been either working or otherwise exercising treaty rights (seeking work, studying or self-sufficient with Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for the last two) continuously since your marriage?

It is her exercise of treaty rights for five continuous years that will give you PR.

If she has exercised treaty rights for five continuous years since your marriage, you automatically acquire PR (i.e. you do not need to apply for it). You can apply to the Home Office for a PR card, but that is optional.

As the spouse of a British citizen, you can apply for naturalisation immediately on getting PR and do not have to wait for an extra year.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:08 pm

adityansingh wrote:Hi .. My Name is Vishal .. I was married to An EEA national in Aug 2011 and since then I am on EEA Family permit ( granted Sep 2011 ) . I have just completed 4 years on the same visa in the mean while my wife got British citizenship a couple of years earlier ( around Jul 2013 ).

I was of the openion that i would qualify for ILR after 5 years on this visa, however since my wife is British now, can I apply through the " 2 year" route of ILR ???

Another question was - I believe i also have the option of applying for EEA PR which would be very very cheap in comparison to ILR. Could you please guide me if I am eligible to apply for any of these now ?

Be aware there is a complication you may need to dig into.
When your wife was naturalised as a British citizen the HO would stop considering her to be an EEA national (even if she is a dual national).

So your status as the dependent family member of an EEA national will have terminated at that time.

It is important to note that a FP or RC is not a visa.
The status of the holder can change over time as the circumstances of the sponsor may change (for example due to divorce, or, in your case, as the sponsor has naturalised).

If you had a FP then you have started on the EU rules route which does not lead to settled status as ILR but to settled status as PR.
You cannot mix & match EU & UK immigration rules & regulations in mid-flow.
In any case, both paths now take 5 years to achieve settled status.

Suggest you take advice on your precise status in UK at this time before mapping out next steps towards settlement & citizenship.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

minion
Newly Registered

Post by minion » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 am

I am in same situation as you and I don't want to disappoint you, but by becoming British eea law does not apply to you any more(at least lawyer told me) . It's very tricky situation as 3 lawyers I spoke had different opinion, 2 said it's not a problem to apply through eea route but one said it is. If you find any information pls share. Good luck

adityansingh
Newly Registered

Post by adityansingh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi All

Thanks for your kind responses. So will wait for one more year and would straight apply for EEA PR. And it suits me as well as it is cheap :) ... thanks again for helping

jazzsingh1985
Newly Registered

Post by jazzsingh1985 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:39 pm

adityansingh wrote:Hi All

Thanks for your kind responses. So will wait for one more year and would straight apply for EEA PR. And it suits me as well as it is cheap :) ... thanks again for helping

Hi Aditya,

I am in the same situation as you.

I didn't get anything in writing, because I have emailed them and they said I need to go back to my own country and reapply under british law which doesn't make sense to me.

I have called home office many of times but they never keep their words and kept saying different everytime. I spoke to Mathew in Home office this morning, he said from the time your wife became british she didn't exercise her treaty rights so that's means I am not supposed to here under EU LAW. If she surrender her nationality then I can be able to stay here but 5 years time period will be start again.

What I did, I have called home office several times and I have recorded calls for my own safety where they completely said I don''t need to change any category and I can apply PR after 5 years. So do this unless you got grounds to stand on if they refuse your visa

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Also see:
vinny wrote:
vinny wrote:The UKVI's letter explicitly states in writing that the applicant may apply for ILR before the expiry of leave.

If that doesn't give an applicant a legitimate expectation, then is it better to treat all correspondence from the UKVI as meaningless or deceptive?

However, I suspect you are right and the courts may come to the same view with respect to the UKVI's correspondence.

The UKVI cannot have caseworkers making new policy that are contrary to the Immigration rules. But they should correct their mistakes without the applicants having to unduly suffer from their mistakes.
I think that Obie is correct.

Apparently, similar to telephone conversations, applicants cannot rely on Home Office correspondence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jazzsingh1985
Newly Registered

Post by jazzsingh1985 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks Obbie for your reply.

So what you suggest us in this occasion. Law is even not cleared. Spoke to couple of solicitors, they said you will be fine but not assuring me 100%.

Spoke to Home Office several times on phone, everyone got different opinion. So where would be rely on. As law is not cleared, we did our bit, we have confirmed with Home Office staff if they assuring us so why we can't take it to court for our evidence.

If its comes in court, I believe they have to understand applicant situation because we are not solicitors or we didn't get any letter to inform us that we need to switch in different category. So we did our part confirmed with home office, calls been recorded so why can't we take it to the court

Obbie can suggest something which is more convenient and makes sense to do. If we need to switch to UK Immigration category so we need to prove £18,600 which will lead another 5 years. So what if my wife reannounce her british nationality, will law be followed under EU Law.

Looking forward to hear from you all.....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:44 am

jazzsingh1985 wrote:Thanks Obbie for your reply.

So what you suggest us in this occasion. Law is even not cleared. Spoke to couple of solicitors, they said you will be fine but not assuring me 100%.

Spoke to Home Office several times on phone, everyone got different opinion. So where would be rely on. As law is not cleared, we did our bit, we have confirmed with Home Office staff if they assuring us so why we can't take it to court for our evidence.

If its comes in court, I believe they have to understand applicant situation because we are not solicitors or we didn't get any letter to inform us that we need to switch in different category. So we did our part confirmed with home office, calls been recorded so why can't we take it to the court

Obbie can suggest something which is more convenient and makes sense to do. If we need to switch to UK Immigration category so we need to prove £18,600 which will lead another 5 years. So what if my wife reannounce her british nationality, will law be followed under EU Law.

No need to rely on an unreliable HO helpline.

The Regulations are clear - it's very straightforward ...
EEA nationals who are also British citizens are not considered to be ‘EEA nationals’ for the purposes of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘the Regulations’)

This applies whether or not the British citizen has always resided in the UK.

A family member of a dual EEA national and British citizen does not have a right of residence under the regulations on the basis of their relationship to the dual national.

If they do not have a right of residence on any other basis under the regulations, they will need leave to enter or remain in the UK under the Immigration Rules
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf
- go to page 45

There was a transitional arrangement put in place - if one qualifies it offers a lifeline..

Hope it helps clarify next steps.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

jazzsingh1985
Newly Registered

Post by jazzsingh1985 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 am

noajthan wrote:
jazzsingh1985 wrote:Thanks Obbie for your reply.

No need to rely on an unreliable HO helpline.

The Regulations are clear - it's very straightforward ...
EEA nationals who are also British citizens are not considered to be ‘EEA nationals’ for the purposes of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘the Regulations’)

This applies whether or not the British citizen has always resided in the UK.

A family member of a dual EEA national and British citizen does not have a right of residence under the regulations on the basis of their relationship to the dual national.

If they do not have a right of residence on any other basis under the regulations, they will need leave to enter or remain in the UK under the Immigration Rules
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf
- go to page 45

There was a transitional arrangement put in place - if one qualifies it offers a lifeline..

Hope it helps clarify next steps.

Morning Noajthan,

I would like to say big thanks to you for researching the new law (god knows why home office staff doesn't know) and trying to help every one. You are star from among all guru's, Noajthan helping everyone without any cost and eager to help everyone.

Sorry Noajthan, I didn't catch one thing, I have issued family residence permit 26 July 2012 and my application submitted before 16 July 2012 but my wife was holding only EU passport on that time she just became british month ago, So I am covered under transitional agreement or not.

If yes so I can apply PR in 2 years time. Please correct me if I am wrong

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:05 am

Issue here appear to have been answered on this thread.

Looks like this thread is been hijacked.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 92914.html
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors