ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening bank account whilst on EU Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

input-output
Armenia

Opening bank account whilst on EU Family Permit

Post by input-output » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Hello forum,

My mother has arrived in Britain on EU Family Permit. We are applying for a GP registration, national insurance number, and importantly, bank account. She lives with us in the house, which belongs to the housing association and whereby my wife's mother is the lead tenant (secure tenancy) and we are co-tenants.

From your experience, what banks are more approachiable for opening the most basic bank accounts?

Any advice will be very, very appreciated.

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Opening bank account whilst on EU Family Permit

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:44 pm

The family permit is only valid for 6 months (a "visa" facilitating entry to UK, not a residency document), during which time she needs to apply for PSS.
It may be better to get that application done before opening a bank account. Here's an example of a bank's ID requirements: https://www.lloydsbank.com/legal/proof-of-identity.html (i'm not endorsing this bank - just for illustration).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 am

OK,I think that it may be of interest to some.

The simplest way is to register with a GP. Because EUFP applicants come to the UK to join their EU family members, the GP registration form basically asks for the copy of their non-EU passport (ID+EU Family Permit), whilst residence documents (proof of address, basically) can be provided by their EU sponsor. This is what we were told by BSO and submitted the application this week. Bank (Halifax) then advised that their passport with EU FP and a letter from the GP confirming address will suffice.

Fingers crossed.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 pm

If Halifax fails, Natwest allows you to use an online bill as proof of address and passport as proof of identity. I did this for a friend of mine recently, I added her name on the electricity bill and we opened her account in a few days. Good luck!
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:22 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 pm
If Halifax fails, Natwest allows you to use an online bill as proof of address and passport as proof of identity. I did this for a friend of mine recently, I added her name on the electricity bill and we opened her account in a few days. Good luck!
Thank you for this suggestion! We would try energy bill in her name if it comes to this.