ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency permit for spouse leaving UK?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

confused-residence
Newly Registered
Germany

Residency permit for spouse leaving UK?

Post by confused-residence » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Hello,

I'm new here and was referred to this site by someone who said it has been very helpful! My husband (EU citizen) has applied for pre-settled status 3 years ago, while I (non-EU) have applied for it as his spouse recently (although I have also been in the UK for over 3 years on a student visa). It is possible that I may take up a job outside the UK (while he remains in the UK), and I'm wondering how that affects my pre-settled status. Do I automatically lose residency if I leave the UK for a job abroad and can only enter the UK to visit him as a tourist? If I don't lose the residency permit, do I still need to pay taxes even if I'm not in the UK for more than 6 months? Is this something easy to get information on online, or is it too complicated and something we need to contact a lawyer in regards to?

Hoping to get some advice. Many thanks in advance :)

seekingadvice87

Re: Residency permit for spouse leaving UK?

Post by seekingadvice87 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 am

If you’ll be living and working abroad and then been away from the UK, you’ll be classed as resident in the country where you spend the most time. If you’re outside the UK for 2 consecutive years and more, you’ll lose your presettled status. If you’ll be back and forth and spending only short visits in the UK however, longer abroad because you live and work there, you may run the risk of an immigration officer asking where in one of your entries where you actually live. This is my guess and usually happens with people on a visit visa who are back and forth but spending more time in the UK so I’ve heard. You may run the risk of losing your status then because it’s really for those who live in the UK OR, you may have difficulty renewing your presettled status when you can’t prove that you’re resident in the UK.

All the above are my guesses. Good luck

confused-residence
Newly Registered
Germany

Re: Residency permit for spouse leaving UK?

Post by confused-residence » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:43 pm

seekingadvice87 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 am
If you’ll be living and working abroad and then been away from the UK, you’ll be classed as resident in the country where you spend the most time. If you’re outside the UK for 2 consecutive years and more, you’ll lose your presettled status. If you’ll be back and forth and spending only short visits in the UK however, longer abroad because you live and work there, you may run the risk of an immigration officer asking where in one of your entries where you actually live. This is my guess and usually happens with people on a visit visa who are back and forth but spending more time in the UK so I’ve heard. You may run the risk of losing your status then because it’s really for those who live in the UK OR, you may have difficulty renewing your presettled status when you can’t prove that you’re resident in the UK.

All the above are my guesses. Good luck
Thanks a lot for the response! :) That makes sense. Will have to think carefully about how to go about this then, lots of things to consider.