ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status and EU national is full time student

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jafferdeen
Member of Standing

Settled Status and EU national is full time student

Post by jafferdeen » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:06 pm

My friend is French national. He has settled status under EUSS.He got married in India in October 2020.
He is in full time education in the UK.He wants to bring his wife from India .

Q 1 :- Can he apply under EUSS for a family permit ?

Q.2 As he is in full time education and not working will it make any difference to application ?

Q 3 : What are the main documents required ?
J Khan

kamoe

Re: Settled Status and EU national is full time student

Post by kamoe » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm

jafferdeen wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:06 pm
Q 1 :- Can he apply under EUSS for a family permit ?
Just to correct: He's not the one who needs to apply since he already got the status, it's the wife who needs to apply.
So the right question is can the wife apply for a EUSS family permit? And the answer is Yes. She can apply as a "joining family member".
Q.2 As he is in full time education and not working will it make any difference to application ?
The only requirement of the EU Settlement scheme is UK residence. There is no requirement of being in employment, and no requirement of minimum income. Therefore no, it does not make any difference wether he is a full time student, a full time worker, or a self-sufficient person.
Q 3 : What are the main documents required ?
The application system will let her know what documents she needs to upload. I believe roughly the requirements of applications similar to hers are:

Proof of identity and nationality of the EU sponsor (valid passport)
Proof of status of sponsor (the system will ask the 16-digit application number the sponsor was given when applying/getting the status to link the application to the sponsor)
Proof of identity of applicant (valid passport)
Proof of relationship to EU sponsor (marriage certificate)
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:05 am

Is a CSI needed (or the EHIC or another country) for his wife?

If you began studying in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you may use your EHIC for medically necessary healthcare until the end of your course in the UK. You must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if your course extends beyond 30 June 2021.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare- ... in-england

Students on a course that started before the end of the transition period
Students from the EEA or Switzerland who were studying at an accredited Higher Education institute in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 can use their EHIC or PRC to cover medically necessary healthcare for the duration of their course. They must apply to the EUSS if their course extends beyond the 30 June 2021 and they wish to remain in the UK (unless they already have indefinite leave to remain).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... k#overview

If he is studying in England.
Guidance on implementing the overseas visitor charging regulations
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ations.pdf

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:13 am

JB007 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:05 am
Is a CSI needed (or the EHIC or another country) for his wife?
As she will be granted pre-settled status?

jafferdeen
Member of Standing

Post by jafferdeen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks Kamoe for your information .Yes indeed i was talking about his wife.

Can somone explain as mentioned by JB007 that" Is a CSI needed (or the EHIC or another country) for his wife?
"
J Khan

jafferdeen
Member of Standing

Post by jafferdeen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 am

My friend is studying in Scotland not in England
J Khan

jafferdeen
Member of Standing

Post by jafferdeen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:39 am

I have read this on a website
This is not a requirement for European nationals and their family and extended family members who have been granted pre-settled or settled status. However, this does not extinguish the requirement for Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for periods before the grant of pre-settled or settled status for students or self-sufficient persons
J Khan

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am

This is not an issue unless friend wants to apply for naturalisation where CSI is being asked for as part of the "Good Character" requirements - though we have yet to hear of cases where applicants where rejected on the basis of CSI issues.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:11 pm

jafferdeen wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 am
My friend is studying in Scotland not in England
From a Scottish university-

Pre-settled status

You are still required to possess Comprehensive Medical Insurance for the duration of your pre-settled status, even though you will not be asked about this during the application.

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/guides/healthc ... s-students

It appears that access to benefits and healthcare are still under the same rules as they were when the UK was in the EU, as the English charging regulations states (link above). The former being ruled as such in the EU courts last year.

However as your friend has been granted Settled Status, I was asking about healthcare costs for his wife who will only be pre-settled status? I don't know what the EU rules were when the student had PR and their family membes did not.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:22 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am
This is not an issue unless friend wants to apply for naturalisation where CSI is being asked for as part of the "Good Character" requirements - though we have yet to hear of cases where applicants where rejected on the basis of CSI issues.
And when they want to use an NHS it seems, in England at least. Links given above. Students can still use the EHIC of their own country to pay when they want to use the NHS.