ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Use this section for queries concerning applications on any of the EEA series of forms, and also for applications for EEA Family Permits.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

ryuzaki
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by ryuzaki » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Ours finally came. It took over 5 months!

Thanks for your help.

A Canadian
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Canada

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by A Canadian » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:57 pm
Ours finally came. It took over 5 months!

Thanks for your help.
Congratulations, Ryuzaki! I've been waiting for 2 months so guess I should brace myself for 3 more... did you do anything to speed it up (call, write, MP?) or did you just wait patiently? It's a long time to wait... did you travel in the mean time?

lifeandfate
Newly Registered
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm
Hong Kong

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by lifeandfate » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:02 am

I hadn't heard from the HO for a while so I was thinking about my wife's application while trying to get myself out of bed – got up and switched the computer on to post on the forum and that exact second got a text from my wife saying "I got a text 'Your UK Visa & Immigration item(s) are scheduled for delivery today". A bit weird! Anyway I have my wife's card in my hand now.

We sent a German paper vignette so my wife got a credit card size residence card.

My timeline.
8 October: Call and request a paper form.
11 October: get the paper form
16 October: send the form with all the necessary evidence and documents.
19 October: Receive back our passports and National ID (HK national id, sadly not an EEA one). With a biometrics form.
19 October: Submit biometrics immediately at the Post Office
30 October: Receive COA (letter sent 28 October).
6 March: Receive COA.

lifeandfate
Newly Registered
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm
Hong Kong

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by lifeandfate » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:09 am

It won't let me edit for some reason, that should say.

6 March: RECIEVE RESIDENCE CARD.

Total time: 5 Months from first calling Home Office.

nol
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm
Mood:
Brazil

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by nol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi all,

I applied for the settle status about 6 months ago. However, I am still awaiting for a decision.

Here is my timeline

Form received by HO: 10th of Sept 2019
Form Sent:24th Sept 2019
Passport returned: 30th Sept 2019
Biometrics letter received: 30th Sept 2019
Biometrics enrolled: 30th Sept 2019
COA: 26th Oct 2019
Approval email received: ***Waiting***
BRC received (Pre-settled status): ***Waiting***

I contacted my MP last week, and 2 days ago I received an email from her saying they contacted the Home Office and they should receive a response in 20 days.

Let's see what happens, this situation is being frustrating and is causing some anxiety issues. :(

worrieduk
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by worrieduk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭

A Canadian
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Canada

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by A Canadian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am

worrieduk wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭
Hi WORRIEDUK, would you mind sharing which link you're using, as the 'old' link I have hasn't worked for me over the past 2 weeks?

Your message probably means that they've updated the system as over the past two weeks I got a message that said that the system is not currently working and to try again later....

worrieduk
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by worrieduk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 am

A Canadian wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am
worrieduk wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭
Hi WORRIEDUK, would you mind sharing which link you're using, as the 'old' link I have hasn't worked for me over the past 2 weeks?

Your message probably means that they've updated the system as over the past two weeks I got a message that said that the system is not currently working and to try again later....
Hey! This is the site I check.

https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status

nol
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm
Mood:
Brazil

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by nol » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

worrieduk wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭
What document did you use to check it, passport or brp?

worrieduk
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by worrieduk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:11 am

nol wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am
worrieduk wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭
What document did you use to check it, passport or brp?
Just his passport number.

nol
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm
Mood:
Brazil

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by nol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:21 pm

worrieduk wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:11 am
nol wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am
worrieduk wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Hi all. I’ve been checking my husband’s status everyday online and it said “details don’t match our records” but today I checked and the following message showed up:

We cannot find your status
This might be because your application is in progress.

Even if you do not have settled status, you may have continuing rights to stay in the UK as an EU citizen or as a family member of an EU citizen under the Free Movement Directive or under existing immigration law. You can evidence this using your ID document or an immigration document issued by the Home Office.

I wonder what this means. I really hope it’s not a refusal. Did anyone else get this before finding out the result of their application?

As if I wasn’t anxious enough already 😭
What document did you use to check it, passport or brp?
Just his passport number.
I am using my passport number, but it says 'The details entered don't match our records'.

Obie
Moderator
Posts: 15015
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 am
Location: UK/Ireland
Ireland

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Obie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Only once a decision is made, will a paper applicant be able to access a status online.

If a status is not showing online, then it means a decision has not been reached.

Just a bit of update for an application I made on behalf of a Surinder Singh applicant.


Application lodged on 25th September 2019.

BIOMETRIC ENROLLED ON THE 18th October 2019.

Strongly worded complaint and JR threat lodged on 7th March 2020.

Status issued 11-03-2020, accompanied by an apology for delay.

Status can be viewed online.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

nol
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm
Mood:
Brazil

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by nol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Only once a decision is made, will a paper applicant be able to access a status online.

If a status is not showing online, then it means a decision has not been reached.

Just a bit of update for an application I made on behalf of a Surinder Singh applicant.


Application lodged on 25th September 2019.

BIOMETRIC ENROLLED ON THE 18th October 2019.

Strongly worded complaint and JR threat lodged on 7th March 2020.

Status issued 11-03-2020, accompanied by an apology for delay.

Status can be viewed online.
Hi

When you say strongly worded complaint made, who did you addressed the complaint to? I have sent several email to the Settlement Resolution, but their response is 'we apologise for the delay, but we advise you to be patient until a decision is made.

This is what I found online, the best way to fast track an application:

What if the Home Office has not decided your case within the timeframe?

You have six potential ways to seek expedition to your case. Below are the steps you can take, and it is not necessary to follow the same order.

Contact the Home Office, preferably in writing. You should include the following information in your letter/email:
Your full name, date of birth, nationality.
Your current address.
The Home Office reference number.
Type of application you submitted.
The date the application was submitted.
When you expected the decision to have been made by in accordance to the Home Office timeframe.
Give dates of any previous chase up letters sent to the Home Office.
Most importantly, the effect of the delay in considering your application is having on you and/or your family.
If you applied within the UK, then you should write to the Home Office department where you initially sent your application to.

If you submitted your application out of the country, you should direct your email to https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk. You can call the UK Visas and Immigration, but it is advisable to have something written to them and have a written response, which you can use for the steps below.

2: Make a formal complaint via https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure, If you have not received a reply to your chase up letter or if the response is not what you expected. You should provide all the information as mentioned in step 1 and enclose any chase up letters and responses you have received from the Home Office. The complaints department will investigate and should respond to you within 20 working days.

3: Contact your local MP. You can find your local MP via https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/. It is essential that you provide all the information related to your case so that your MP can make the appropriate enquiry.

4: Complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if the Home Office internal complaint process did not resolve your issue, or the MP was unable to assist you further. You must ask your MP to refer the matter to the Ombudsman, who will make a final decision.

5: Consider legal action by submitting a pre-action protocol letter. You can use the following proforma: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ial-review. The pre-action protocol is a mechanism used to resolve the issues between two parties before considering lodging court proceedings. The Home Office aims to respond within 21 days.

6: Lodge a Judicial Review application as a last resort, if all above steps do not resolve your issues. As a case has been lodged against the Home Office, this usually resolves the matter quickly. Judicial Review is complex, costly and should only be used if there is a significant delay which renders the Home Office action as unlawful.

worrieduk
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by worrieduk » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Only once a decision is made, will a paper applicant be able to access a status online.

If a status is not showing online, then it means a decision has not been reached.

Just a bit of update for an application I made on behalf of a Surinder Singh applicant.


Application lodged on 25th September 2019.

BIOMETRIC ENROLLED ON THE 18th October 2019.

Strongly worded complaint and JR threat lodged on 7th March 2020.

Status issued 11-03-2020, accompanied by an apology for delay.

Status can be viewed online.
Thank you Obie. I just found it strange how all of a sudden the online status check site changed. It even had my husbands email to send a confirmation code to use to check the status online. I know I’m just worrying too much (hence the username lol)

I’m glad the person you helped was able to get their status :)

worrieduk
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by worrieduk » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:38 am

I just checked his status online again and...

MY HUSBAND GOT HIS PRE-SETTLED STATUS!!!! :D :D :D :D

His timeline as follows:

Application form requested: 23/09
Application Received: 28/09
Application Form Sent: 28/10
Received by Home Office: 29/10
Biometrics Letter Received: 05/11 (dated 01/11)
Biometrics Sent: 05/11
COA: Received 16/11 (dated 13/11)
Decision: 15/03/2020

No contact to or from home office.

I will update when he receives his BRC.

Thank you all so so so sooooo much for all of your replies and assistance. This forum has been a life-saver.

To all those that are still waiting, I hope you get the response you're looking for! :D

A Canadian
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Canada

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by A Canadian » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Good news for all of us?

Hubs / EU Free Movement

Home Office abandons “centre of life” test in Surinder Singh cases

The Home Office has updated its guidance on Surinder Singh cases to remove all reference to a “centre of life” test. This follows the case of ZA (Reg 9. EEA Regs; abuse of rights) Afghanistan [2019] UKUT 281 (IAC) in which the Upper Tribunal found that the test was made-up nonsense and incompatible with EU law.

Surinder Singh is an immigration route that allows British citizens who have moved to another EU country to return with non-European family members, bypassing the strict rules on UK family visas that apply to people who have not exercised free movement rights. The Home Office has always hated what it sees as a backdoor, and from 2014 demanded proof that Brits trying to avail of Surinder Singh had moved the centre of their life to the EU country in question. That this was clearly incompatible with the EU law on the subject did not bother officials.

With the Upper Tribunal finally saying so explicitly, the Home Office has bowed to reality and stripped the centre of life test from its decision-making manual. The document now states:

Any previous references to a ‘centre of life’ requirement are no longer relevant following the determination in the case of ZA (Afghanistan) (UKUT 281 2019).

The precise legal status of the Surinder Singh route now that the UK is no longer formally a member of the European Union is complicated, to say the least. But for the time being it remains open and can be applied for via the EU Settlement Scheme.

nol
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm
Mood:
Brazil

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by nol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Only once a decision is made, will a paper applicant be able to access a status online.

If a status is not showing online, then it means a decision has not been reached.

Just a bit of update for an application I made on behalf of a Surinder Singh applicant.


Application lodged on 25th September 2019.

BIOMETRIC ENROLLED ON THE 18th October 2019.

Strongly worded complaint and JR threat lodged on 7th March 2020.

Status issued 11-03-2020, accompanied by an apology for delay.

Status can be viewed online.
Thank you Obie, hope I get it resolved soon

Meppdg
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Meppdg » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 pm

Have anyone tried to switch from pre-settled status to settled status?

I applied last year and was granted pre-settled status because I had a little over 4 years of resistance and I didn’t want to wait for a another year. Now I’m getting closer to complete the 5 years and the updates regarding the Covid-19 left me wondering how to get the paper application (they said that they won’t answer calls and won’t post any documents)

I can’t really find much information about this process either but I assume it’s the same steps all over again and with a paper form for having a British sponsor.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

A Canadian
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Canada

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by A Canadian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Meppdg wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 pm
Have anyone tried to switch from pre-settled status to settled status?

I applied last year and was granted pre-settled status because I had a little over 4 years of resistance and I didn’t want to wait for a another year. Now I’m getting closer to complete the 5 years and the updates regarding the Covid-19 left me wondering how to get the paper application (they said that they won’t answer calls and won’t post any documents)

I can’t really find much information about this process either but I assume it’s the same steps all over again and with a paper form for having a British sponsor.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Apparently this is only while everyone is transitioning to work from home.. they will hopefully start taking calls again in a short while.

Dyrokwoyo
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:57 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Dyrokwoyo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:05 pm

My wife has to go give her biometrics within 30 days...Given the current situation does my wife just go and give biometrics (are they even still doing that in the Post Office?) or try and contact them and ask for an extension/exception?

Obie
Moderator
Posts: 15015
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 am
Location: UK/Ireland
Ireland

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Obie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Crown post office are open, there is no reason why your wife should not visit them and enrol her biometrics. This is exemption for centres, but not post offices.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9431
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by secret.simon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm

@Obie , I could be wrong, but I think that while Post Offices are open, the enrolment services in Post Offices have been closed, in line with the other biometric enrolment centres.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Dyrokwoyo
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:57 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Dyrokwoyo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I checked on the post office site, home office biometric enrolment is still going on in the easiest branch for us to get to, I assume that's the service we'd need, although the letter says we don't have to pay and the PO site says we have to pay about £20

Obie
Moderator
Posts: 15015
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 am
Location: UK/Ireland
Ireland

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by Obie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:27 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm
@Obie , I could be wrong, but I think that while Post Offices are open, the enrolment services in Post Offices have been closed, in line with the other biometric enrolment centres.
The Crown post office are open Simon, and they provide this service in most post office, as far as i am aware.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

JAMAA
- thin ice -
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by JAMAA » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 am

Any news from any one, what to EU resolution team at Liverpool, they should work at home we don't know.

Post Reply
cron