ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil partner Schengen visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

danielssfi
Newly Registered

Civil partner Schengen visa?

Post by danielssfi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:22 pm

I am EU/UK dual national and my partner is non-eu citizen.
My partner is in the UK on EUSS FP and now on COA as a durable partner through Lounes route under EUSS.

Is anyone aware of EU countries to which we can apply for Schengen once my partner gets her pre settled status?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Civil partner Schengen visa?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Not an expert in Schengen but if your partner would normally need a visa to enter EU Schengen countries s/he will need one after obtaining pre-Settled Status. Note this is a UK status only, doesn't give any EU travel privileges, as far as I know. Partner could even apply now as the COA allows travel.
List of Schengen countries: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/scheng ... ries-list/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

danielssfi
Newly Registered

Post by danielssfi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Thanks for your input.

She does need a visa to Schengen countries. Unfortunately it is not possible to travel with COA back to the UK as no airline accepts it as valid in immigration status. (This has been raised by many people before in similar situation).

My question is more specific as to which countries recognise civil/durable partnership for Schengen visa purpose.
I have contacted SOLVIT who gave specific advise in regards to France.
If she is not a registered civil partner or spouse, she is nevertheless, entitled to have her entry facilitated as a "durable partner".
As she is not a registered civil partner or spouse, the French authorities do not entitle her to apply for a visa described as a "Visa for a Family Member of an EEA National". She must apply for an ordinary short-stay visa.

So I would like to know if anyone is aware as to which countries facilitate entrance for durable partners.

danielssfi
Newly Registered

Post by danielssfi » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:19 am

It is worth specifying that I am trying to obtain Schengen visa for my partner as a family member of EU citizen as requirements for it are more favourable in comparison to ordinary Schengen visa.

danielssfi
Newly Registered

Post by danielssfi » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Received reply from Solvit.
As The Netherlands is your main place of visit, your partner should apply for a visa for a "Family Members Of EU/EEA Or Swiss Nationals" from the Dutch authorities:

The Dutch rules provide that she can apply for verification against EU law if she is an unmarried partner in a durable relationship (typically one that has lasted for at least 6 months):

"You are 1 of the following family members of the Union citizen:
- You are the spouse or registered partner of the Union citizen.
- You are the unmarried partner of the Union citizen. You have lived together for at least 6 months in a row before the date of the application or the decision. Or you have not (yet) lived together for 6 months. However, based on your personal situation you are in a long-term relationship."

To sumup, unmarried partners of EU citizen whom would like to get Schnegen as a Family Member of EU national can do so if applying for Schengen from Netherlands as long as its your main destination of visit.