ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship, Passport and Working

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jmandjf
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship, Passport and Working

Post by jmandjf » Thu May 20, 2004 1:09 am

My husband has received Irish citizenship through his Grandmother and is now waiting for his Irish passport. We want to know if this will automatically qualify him for work permit(s) in Ireland and other EU countries. We are presently living in Mexico (but are US citizens) and hopefully will be able to live/work in Europe in the future.

Thanks,
JC

krash
Newly Registered

Post by krash » Thu May 20, 2004 5:02 am

jmandjf,

You do not need a work permit to work in Ireland now.

Besides, my husband's grandfather was born in Belfast, Ireland. Is he eligible for Irirsh citizenship?

If yes, can you please explain how we can apply for it.

marka
Newly Registered

Post by marka » Thu May 20, 2004 9:35 am

Once your husband recives the Irish passport he will not need a work permit to work in any EU contry. You will need an EEA family permit as the non-EU spouse of an EU national which you will have to obtain form whichever EU country you choose to settle in.

Marka

jmandjf
Newly Registered

Post by jmandjf » Fri May 21, 2004 2:45 am

jmandjf,

You do not need a work permit to work in Ireland now. -Okay.

Besides, my husband's grandfather was born in Belfast, Ireland. Is he eligible for Irirsh citizenship?
- I don't know about Belfast because it is in the North and part of England. My husband's family is from the South.

If yes, can you please explain how we can apply for it.
-You could call the Irish Consulate General in NY or the one closest to you and find out what information they can give you.

jmandjf
Newly Registered

Post by jmandjf » Fri May 21, 2004 2:46 am

Marka,

I plan to also go through the paperwork for myself and our daughter. Will I then also be able to work in the EU?

JC

marka
Newly Registered

Post by marka » Fri May 21, 2004 10:57 am

Hiya,

One thing to remember that Ireland only came into exsitance about 80 years go. Until then anyone born in what is now Ireland was a British Subject. However, Britain does not allow cirtizenship to be passed through grandparents, only through parents. There is an anecstry visa for those who have british granparents and are commonwealth citizens, but as the US is not in the commonwealth that dosen't apply to you so you better stick with the Irish route.

Also, Belfast is not part of England or Britain, its is however, part of the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. :)

In terms of your EU working rights. Its important to remember there is not such thing as an EU work permit. Each country issues its own paper work. The treaty of Rome (1957) requires EU members to allow free movement of labour. In practice this means an EU state cannot impose any requirements on EU nationals to reside/study/work that it does not impose on its own nationals. Remember that some EU contries are more berocractic then others. So a German could just enter the UK and go apply for a job with their German passport or identity card. If, however, a Brit wanted to move to germany they would have to first go to the local beurocracy in Germany and get their papers sorted out. Its a fairly simple procedure and Germany is obliged to issue a Brit papers under EU treaty, but the Brit has to jump through more hoops simply because a native german would have to have these same papers to work in germany while a British person dosen't need any paperwork except their passport to work in Britain.

In terms on non-European spouses of European nationals exersising their treaty rights in third countries. That is if you and your husband choose to move to the UK for example you would be the non-EU spouse. You would need an EEA family permit from the British embassy. If you choose to move to France you would need an EEA family permit from the French Embassy. You can only use get your EEA family permit for the country your EU national spouse is moving to and it is only valid in that country. THat is you cannot move to France and leave your husband in the UK.

You might be able to do the EEA permit in country, but it might depend on the particular EU contry. Most of the time when entering the UK for example you are assumed to be a tourist. You might be asked how long you plan to stay and if you say you plan to live there and you have no visa they won't be pleased.

I would suggest you contact the embassy of the particular EU country where you plan to live and ask them about what requirements they have to issue an EEA family permit.

Marka

jmandjf
Newly Registered

Post by jmandjf » Fri May 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Marka - Thanks for the clarification about the work permits and about Northern Irelands status. I can't ever seem to keep that straight. I know that the Republic and N. Ireland are under different gov'ts but I can't always remember how the North is associated w/ England other than the religious aspect. - Julia

eurosceptic
Newly Registered

What's the deal with the so called EEA-RESIDENT PERMIT ?

Post by eurosceptic » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:25 am

HI PEOPLE !

What's the deal with the so called EEA-RESIDENT PERMIT ?
EEA-means "European Economic Area"-witch means ALL the EU-countries plus FEW MORE (Norway, Iceland) WHOW !
Any "EEA-Resident permit" holder should HAVE THE RIGHT to reside and live in each of those countries,part of the EEA (All the EU+Norway,Iceland.)
OK SO WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE :

" You can only use your EEA-RESIDENT PERMIT in UK if you live in UK -AND IS ONLY VALID IN THAT COUNTRY"...bla bla bla

Same problem with EEA FAMILY PERMIT :

"You would need an EEA family permit from the British embassy. If you choose to move to France you would need an EEA family permit from the French Embassy. You can only use get your EEA family permit for the country your EU national spouse is moving to and it is only valid in that country"

The EEA-FAMILY PERMIT doesn't matter ,it's just temporary anyway...
But what about EEA-RESIDENT PERMIT which is valid for LIFE ?

WHY THEY CALL IT *EEA* if it's not valid all over EEA ?
WHY NOT JUST Uk-resident permit, or French-resident permit etc.
WHY THE HELL EEA !!!!!!!!!!IF IT DOESN'T MEAN *EEA* ?????????????
WHY NOT ABC OR BULLSHIT !!!

sorry...
PLEASE ANYONE MAKE IT CLEAR !!!!!!