ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spanish Airport Transit Visa for Cuban trying to return home from UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

elpidiovaldez5
Newly Registered

Spanish Airport Transit Visa for Cuban trying to return home from UK

Post by elpidiovaldez5 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:20 pm

My Cuban mother-in-law is staying with us in Jersey. Her tourist visa has already expired (3 times she has been given a 'special assurance' that she can stay due to covid preventing travel home). We currently can't find any direct flights from UK to Cuba. There are rumours of flights next year.

There is a possibility of her travelling from UK to Cuba via Madrid. However Cuban nationals require an Airport Transit Visa to travel through Spain. The Spanish website implies she needs to apply for the transit visa in Cuba (which she can't because she is stuck in the UK). I say implies because the text says that she must apply from the country in which she 'legally resides'. I am not sure how to interpret the word 'resides'. Can she be said to be legally residing in UK right now, because she came on a visa and has the 'special assurance' ? I emailed the Spanish Embassy asking for clarification, and if the visa could be obtained in London, but am not surprised that they did not bother to reply. There does not seem to be any way to communicate with them.

Is there any way around this problem ? Does anyone know of a viable way of getting a Cuban back to Cuba from UK ?

CarlH88
Newly Registered

Re: Spanish Airport Transit Visa for Cuban trying to return home from UK

Post by CarlH88 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am

Hi, did you manage to sort this? I have the same problem but the opposite way round with my wife needing to come back to the UK after a 2 week visit.