ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unskilled work in Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Glenn
Newly Registered

Unskilled work in Ireland

Post by Glenn » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:09 am

I am looking for an unsilled job in Ireland. Everything I've researched has said that if there's a "skilled" job that you've found, they can arrange for a work permit for you. But what about a lower level hospitality/travel job, like waiter or bartender? I would really like to travel to Ireland for as long as possible and work in one of these positions. I am a U.S. citizen. Is there a specialized visa or work permit that I need in order to simply travel and work at a bar or restaurant in Ireland? Without having to pay for the Bunac program?

Awaiting any kind of answer,
Glenn

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:14 pm

HI,

I'm living over here myself and an on the Work Permit scheme. I came over in 2000 and the rules have tightened significantly since then. Do you have any Irish connection that you could use, such as Irish parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents in some cases? If so then you could apply for citizenship and gain access with no problems. If not, check out the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment website: www.entemp.ie they are in charge of issuing permits, all information is given there. I know that they previously stopped giving work permits to specific jobs because they were not high need of staff, to try and get more EU people working here and use the resources already here in the country instead of hiring non-EU people. Unfortunately, I believe that bars/pubs & hotels were on that list. But, they do update it quarterly I think and seeing as how the summer tourist season is stating here, maybe they've lifted some of the restrictions?

Your're best bet is to log on to the website, it's updated every day and has all the information you need about working here and what your options are.

Good luck,

Sincerley,

Maria

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:17 pm

Hi again,

Sorry forgot to mention Working Holiday Visa/Permit option. I'm not sure of the rules or how to apply but the same website would probably have a link for you to access the correct website.

Cheers

Maria

Glenn
Newly Registered

Post by Glenn » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:03 pm

Maria,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't have the Irish connection to apply for citizenship. And it looks like bartending is on the list of jobs that won't qualify for a work permit. As for the working holiday shceme, it's only open to citizens of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. So it seems I'm out of luck.

But I still don't understand how a Bunac participant can go over for four months and work any kind of job--the program even encourages them to get an unskilled job--but they won't let a normal citizen go over for a year and work an unskilled job. Does anyone know the logic behind this?

Cheers,
Glenn