ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence from UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aboudi

Absence from UK

Post by aboudi » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:17 pm

Quick question to anyone who knows, why does the home office ask for all absences from the uk on the SET(O) form? dont they already know them or keep records of them?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:42 pm

Government departments generally operate on the principle that the onus is on the applicant to satisfy them of the facts of an application. I think the reasoning is probably that if they had to do all the research, applications would take infinitely longer to determine.

I think the Home Office could probably assemble a list of the dates on which you arrived in UK if they were prepared to put the work in but, given the lack of passport control on departure from UK, they would find it difficult (probably impossible) to ascertain the dates you left the country.

So they wouldn't be able to establish long long you were out of the country on each occasion. You presumably have this information, though, and they can check the accuracy of your claim by comparing your list with stamps in your passport and whatever records they have available from other government departments, etc
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....