ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on ILR: Dependent visa 2yrs & Work permit 4 yrs

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ravikiran28
Newly Registered

Post by ravikiran28 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:27 am

My overall stay in UK as of now is about 6 yrs 6months.
I had been on a 'Dependent' visa in the UK for 2 years (July 2000 - September 2002) and switched to a work permit visa (Oct 2002 - to date) afterwards.
Hence I have been on a work permit visa for 4 yrs 4 months.

Can I apply for ILR now bearing in mind that I had been in UK for more than 6 yrs or do I have to wait till I complete 5 yrs on the work permit visa?

I would appreciate any advice on the above.

Thank you,

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:31 am

The time you spent as a dependent counts for squat. You now need to complete five years on your work permit.

The only instance when you can use dependent time is when qualifying for the ten year (legal) stay or 14 year (legal + non-legal) stay rules. If you're fidgety about waiting eight months, I'm sure there's no way you'd be interested in holding out for at least another six years!

If you haven't done your Life in the UK test, do it now. You'll need it when you apply for ILR later this year.

ravikiran28
Newly Registered

Post by ravikiran28 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:48 am

Thanks Robin.

My work permit visa is for 5 years and it expires in September 2007. When is the earliest I can apply for ILR? Also do I need to renew my work permit before I apply for ILR?