ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestry visa via stepfather?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mapleleaf
Newly Registered

Ancestry visa via stepfather?

Post by mapleleaf » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:15 am

My great-grandparents were born in the UK but not my grandparents and so I seem to not be eligible for the Ancestry Visa.

However, I wondered if either of these 2 situations might apply (hopefully!).

1. My stepfather has right of abode due to his mother (my step-grandmother) being born in the UK. My step-sister got an Ancestry Visa. Can this apply to me at all as I was under 18 when my mother married my stepfather? No he did not adopt me.

or

2. My great-grandfather was in the British Army and while stationed in India (now part of Pakistan) my grandfather was born. I do not know if they went back to the UK afterwards before coming to Canada. So my grandfather was not born in the UK but it was due to my great-father being the British army.

Thank you for any assistance.

mapleleaf
Newly Registered

Ancestry visa via stepfather & also overseas military ba

Post by mapleleaf » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:55 am

Hi,

I finally found a page - I believe it was a Home Office page - which indicated that neither of my situations would be allowed for an Ancestry Visa.

So for anyone else wondering the same thing: No Ancestry Visa for stepfamilies and no for grandparents born overseas due to military station.

I was fairly sure it would not be allowed but wanted to make absolutely sure.

Thanks.