ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a US co. hire me on WP in UK.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sam111
Newly Registered

Can a US co. hire me on WP in UK.

Post by sam111 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:26 pm

Hi Members

I am currently on a WP, friend of mine owns a co. in US. He is keen to hire me as a Marketing Executive to start uk operations. There is no branches here in K at the moment.Can I work for him legally. Is there any possibility to get a work permit. I am on 2nd year of my WP.

Your all suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam111

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:07 pm

You can work for him legally if you switch to HSMP and operate as a self employed consultant. That would be the easiest option for you.

If you can't qualify for HSMP, you can still go the WP route but it is more complicated. He would have to set up a new legal entity in the UK (branch of the US company) and that new UK company would file an application for a new WP for you. It will be much easier (no employment search) if the job is similar to your current WP job OR if you are a Director of the company (but without significant ownership). The success of this WP route depends on how established the US company is (with audited accounts and other documentation).

There may be other routes, such as sole representative, but I think they are more complicated.

Joseph

sam111
Newly Registered

Post by sam111 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:48 pm

Thanks Joseph

I am currently a teacher in UK and my friend would like to hire me as a Buisness Development Manager, however I have passed MBA. I am 5 Point short of HSMP. Could you please advise me, which is the best way to work legally for his co. Because I am fed up with teaching. US co. is about 1 year old. Another option my brother in law is also keen to set up his branch he is from Sydney and in IT. His co. is about 3 years old. Whish is the easiest way to get WP.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:36 am

sam

In your case it's not so easy getting WP with these companies, because the foreign companies don't have much of a "history" which is necessary for them to be a credible sponsor in the eyes of WPUK. Furthermore your current teaching experience is significantly different than any new job they would provide, which means an employment search would be needed. Finally, you don't have previous experience as a director, which also means an employment search (tier 2) would be needed.

Unless somebody else has a better idea, I think you should probably get professional advice to see what the best option is. Meanwhile, keep your current job and explore other advertised opportunities in your preferred business development field. One of these companies may sponsor you for a new work permit.

Joseph