ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship ceremony at different place

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

raikal

citizenship ceremony at different place

Post by raikal » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi,
I live in surrey and my council is always busy with citizenship ceremonies. Usually people are not getting one for at least 45 days. as they only do 30 at a time in a month.
I am in the process of applying next week and thinking to mention a different council. Is that ok ? Has any one applied to a different council than they live ?

Regards

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:52 pm

I think we've all seen that the Home Office are dealing with many applications commendably quickly at the moment, with a number of decisions beng taken within days or weeks, when it's not so long ago that naturalisation applications were taking a couple of years, or even more.

But anything that makes an application non-routine is going to take it out of the "assembly line" process, and when that happens there is potential for delay.

I might be worrying unnecessarily, but I suspect that while asking to have your ceremony elsewhere might have the desired effect, it could also result in your application taking longer then the norm to get through the consideration process. So you might end up in a worse position than if you had simply let things take their course.

I don't think I'd risk it, in your place...

paul

raikal

Post by raikal » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 am

Thanks for the input paul.

But in the application it looks like a straight forward question to chose in another council.

I live in Croydon and at the moment it is 6 weeks waiting list. Nearby bromley has 2 weeks.

Just curious to know if anyone has done this before and approved in usual time.

Regards

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 am

I wouldn't worry about designating a different council. But, you should check with the council beforehand to make sure that their backlog and frequency of ceremonies is better than your council.
A good place to start would be the councils that are also NCS centres. When I visited them, it seemed to me that the Haringey Council had frequent ceremonies (once a week).

Joseph

John

Post by John » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:52 am

In this context, anyone within reasonable distance of Birmingham might like to note that the Council here do ceremonies on two days per month, with a minimum of two separate ceremonies of each of those days, with scope to go up to a maximum of four ceremonies per day.

In other words, here the delays are minimal.
John

raikal

Post by raikal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:29 am

Thanks for your inputs.

I would check with other councils before applying. But do you think it might delay the application as paul commented.

Raikal

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:40 am

I personally don't think it would delay the application. Since it would speed up the ceremony, I think it's worth trying, but that's just my guess.
Joseph

raikal

Post by raikal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi Josehph,

I have called the Nationality help line and asked the same question. What she said is,
"There should be valid reason to give a different council e.g., moving house etc" then I said about the waiting time her response was "Send a covering letter to explain the same"
It looks complex ...so I am avoiding the same and using the same council where I live.

Raikal

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The instructions say nothing about cover letters, but you have heard it from them directly, so it must be true.
Joseph

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:12 pm

I am sure you must have thought about this before... but here it goes: my council (Richmond Upon Thames) would only offer a cerimony in 40 days' from my approval letter last year.

I then opted for an individual cerimony and they were able to set up it the following week. £50 set back though. Maybe you could check with them if they would offer a private cerimony any time soon. R.