ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gaps between visits to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tubs
Newly Registered

Gaps between visits to UK

Post by tubs » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:35 am

Hi,
First off I apologise if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a thread but if one has been posted please let me know :)

I am hoping someone can help clarify what I am finding to be rather confusing! I am wondering how long you need to wait before re-visiting the UK on the VWP.

From everything I have read (so far!) there appears to be no hard and fast rules and a lot depends on the IO on entry. I am a UK citizen and my boyfriend (US citizen) came to visit last year for 4 months, he left early February of this year. He was open and honest in answering the IO visiting his girlfriend and friends and was let in no problems (despite my weeks of worry before hand!) This was his first visit.

He is hoping to come in Oct/November for a few months again (naturally no longer than 6!) but I have read varying degrees of length of gaps between stays - some say a year after he left the country which would mean him not coming over until Feb 2010 :shock: Some say double the time he stayed here which would mean October. But then some saying it is a 'lottery' and depends on the individual IO's questioning and suspicions. Arghh! Although it shouldn't matter or make a difference, I am 38 years and he is 49. :)

Any help/advice much appreciated!
Thanks
Tubs

:?

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:39 am

The policy as given in the Border Force manual is that no more than 6 months out of 12 should be spent in the UK.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:00 pm

UKBAbble wrote:The policy as given in the Border Force manual is that no more than 6 months out of 12 should be spent in the UK.
He should be OK because of the policy above.

From Oct 08 to Oct 09, he will have only spent 4 months in the UK. From Oct 09, he can spend another 6 months total up to Oct 2010.

tubs
Newly Registered

Post by tubs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am

bani wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:The policy as given in the Border Force manual is that no more than 6 months out of 12 should be spent in the UK.
He should be OK because of the policy above.

From Oct 08 to Oct 09, he will have only spent 4 months in the UK. From Oct 09, he can spend another 6 months total up to Oct 2010.
Thanks for that.
It is what I was thinking and what I had worked out. However, it gets so confusing when you start reading some sites. Plus you get drawn into some real horror stories about people being bounced and I am just a worrier! That said I do like to have everything prepared :)

Thanks both of you
:)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 am

But be wary of the requirement that he be a 'genuine visitor'

Only takes one IO with an itchy nose to decide he's living here on a VV and possibly bounce him.

Search here and u'll see it's happened to many.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tubs
Newly Registered

Post by tubs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Wanderer.
I have read many experiences of that and it is something I am aware of and that worries me. I suppose that will continue to be the case. Last time he came I was sweating buckets waiting at the airport and worrying... and when he comes over next this will be doubled as it will be his second visit.

As I have read for others, it appears to be a 'lottery' with which IO you get and all we can do is be prepared (have a return ticket, prove ties to the US, funds to support him whilst here etc...). It will be a very nervous wait :shock: