ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR + Outside UK since August 2019 + BRP NTL + Covid19

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sonimukhia
Newly Registered
India

ILR + Outside UK since August 2019 + BRP NTL + Covid19

Post by sonimukhia » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi there lovely people,
I am away from the UK since almost 2 years and I am currently in India. Due to the ongoing pandemic I had to postpone my return.I contacted the Covid Immigration Helpline (CIH) at CIH@homeoffice.gov.uk but all they do is respond with generalised email like copy paste.
  • Under the guidelines for returning residents:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 3.0ext.pdf it says they may consider entry due to Covid19 obligations if one is out of the UK for more than 2 years & can prove strong connections with UK. My entire family is in the UK and I intend to continue living in UK.
  • I do not have vignette visa and have a valid BRP card with NO TIME LIMIT, valid until end of December 2024. Would that by any chance forbid the same 2 year absence rule?
  • India is in total lockdown and has been red listed by UK.
  • I came across this form
    https://hsforms.smartcdn.co.uk/form_208.html and I would be filling it to get some clarification, but not intending to fly sooner as I do not have international airports close to my current location & it is still unsafe to travel around in India. This form mentions:
    If we determine you are eligible, we will authorise your chosen airline or other international carrier to permit you to board a flight or other transport to the UK. We will also notify you if you are not eligible and advise you on next steps.
Kindly help with suggestions/advice if you have faced similar dilemmas. Stay safe. Thank you :)

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR + Outside UK since August 2019 + BRP NTL + Covid19

Post by zimba » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:11 pm

If you are absent for more than 24 months then your ILR status will be lost. You then should apply for a returning resident visa and prove you have strong ties to the UK for your ILR to be reinstated: https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

Travel from India has only recently been restricted. Nothing stopped you from returning since August 2019. It is your responsibility (if your ILR is lost) to prove you have strong ties to the UK and I do not think arguing that the recent restrictions prevented you from returning is a very strong argument. However, UKVI may exercise discretion as you have family here
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice