ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing my German nephew to the uk permanently

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UXdesigner
Newly Registered

Bringing my German nephew to the uk permanently

Post by UXdesigner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:46 am

Hello,

I am A german citizen who has settled status in the UK and has lived in London for over 12 years. I have a family here in London (my wife my daughter and me) and our household income is around £200k/year.

I have a nephew who is 15 years old, he is a German national and he lives in Colombia - South America, In a small farm that I own. He lives there with live my parents and my sister (his mother)

They all depend on me financially as I send them money every month And they live in my property rent-free

I want to bring the boy here to the UK, to live with me permanently with my family so that he can have a proper education that he won't be able to get in Colombia because his parents (or my parents) can't afford since they all depend on me financially.

Is this possible? is there a way to bring him here to finish his secondary school here and just live with me?

My gratitude goes to anyone that can give some information.

secret.simon

Re: Bringing my German nephew to the uk permanently

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:54 am

Highly unlikely unless you can prove sole responsibility for him (which would be difficult if both his parents are alive).

Broadly, apart from spouses and minor descendants (children), it is quite difficult to sponsor other family members under UK immigration law. And it is too late to sponsor your nephew under EU law, which is much more permissive. Had you done so before 31st December 2020, your nephew could have moved to the UK under EU law.

As he is a German citizen, can he not do his schooling in the EEA? You would still be close enough to supervise him and visit him regularly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:54 am
As he is a German citizen, can he not do his schooling in the EEA? You would still be close enough to supervise him and visit him regularly.
As the OP's parents and sister live in Columbia, I think the OP might be Colunbian national who naturalised as a German citizen?

If this is correct, then I assume his nephew is not be a German citizen?
UXdesigner wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:46 am
Hello,

I am A german citizen who has settled status in the UK and has lived in London for over 12 years. I have a family here in London (my wife my daughter and me) and our household income is around £200k/year.

I have a nephew who is 15 years old, he is a German national and he lives in Colombia - South America,
I want to bring the boy here to the UK, to live with me permanently with my family so that he can have a proper education that he won't be able to get in Colombia because his parents (or my parents) can't afford since they all depend on me financially.
It would be very difficult for a 15 year old to join the UK education system: even harder for a 15 year old which you say is not getting a proper education in Columbia because your sister and your parents can't pay for it.

There is a UK child student visa but doesn't lead to settlement. That visa would also be very expensive as he could not use a UK state school and you would have to pay private school fees so that school would sponsor your nephew. Nor would that visa mean that your 15 year old nephew could have UK home university fees or student loans, even though he had lived in the UK for 3 years before university.

If you want a cheaper option than a child student visa for his education, have you looked into moving to an EEA country and havng your nephew join you under Free Movement?

Or with a hosuehoild income of 200k, you pay for your nephews education in Columbia?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 am

Sorry, just seen the title saying your nephew is German. Why can't your sister move to Germany, where he will get the education you want for him? Or another EEA country under the EU's Free Movement?