ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriages by proxy

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Marriages by proxy

Post by Sunshine08 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi

Due to travel restrictions over covid pandemic I was unable to travel to Pakistan to have my Islamic ceremony in person, so according to the laws of Pakistan it was conducted with my maternal uncles representing me and accepting the dowry on my behalf.
Nikah has been fully registered with the local council and attested at the foreign office over there. As far as I understand we are therefore legally married and I was told by the registrars office here in the UK that it will be recognised by the UK.

With regards to the Home Office and immigration purposes will my spouse application be likely to get refused without evidence of a wedding party. I haven't had my ruksati done yet (the cultural part where husband takes wife from family home) should I apply for spouse visa first for him to come and fulfil that part. Without evidence of a wedding will it not be deemed an authentic marriage? I have a copy of my marriage certificate but on the spouse visa forms when it asks why the two of us were not together at the time of ceremony would my reasons go against me?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Marriages by proxy

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Have you met your spouse in person, face to face before??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sunshine08 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes I definitely have in person. We've also known each other through other family members are whole lives.
CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm
Have you met your spouse in person, face to face before??

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sunshine08 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:07 pm

What specific evidence must I present to demonstrate our subsisting relationship for the home office/UKVI?

We have no shared financial responsibility just exchange of gifts and I have post office receipts for that and purchase receipts too.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:42 am

Sunshine08 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:07 pm
What specific evidence must I present to demonstrate our subsisting relationship for the home office/UKVI?

We have no shared financial responsibility just exchange of gifts and I have post office receipts for that and purchase receipts too.
The receipts you stated above, photos, evidence of communication over the years, if you have visited each other travel evidence of such e.g. tickets, boarding passes, hotel receipts if applicable.

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sunshine08 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Many thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

We have no wedding pics only pics of when we saw each other in person again months after.

Are still shots of video calls a must or would audio call logs and messages on WhatsApp and FB suffice?

Thanks again in advance. :)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:50 am

Sunshine08 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:23 pm
Many thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

We have no wedding pics only pics of when we saw each other in person again months after.

Are still shots of video calls a must or would audio call logs and messages on WhatsApp and FB suffice?

Thanks again in advance. :)
The still shots not required. Audio call logs and messages and other such evidence will suffice.

Jhelumi
Mood:

Post by Jhelumi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:11 am

Hello,

I know people who's visas have been refused for the reason that evidence provided for the marriage ceremony was not suffucient. In other words, Nikkah was done with a small party held in their house representing both sides (just close relatives invited only).

To apply like this, is taking a risk. So, best to have a wedding first which will also cover the requirement for a face-to-face meeting.

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sunshine08 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Also good to know. Many thanks.

Sunshine08
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sunshine08 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:27 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:42 am
Sunshine08 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:07 pm

The receipts you stated above, photos, evidence of communication over the years, if you have visited each other travel evidence of such e.g. tickets, boarding passes, hotel receipts if applicable.

We haven't had a wedding reception to celebrate our nikah therefore no pictures of a celebration. Will this be a cause for refusal?

Is it mandatory to have wedding pictures for initial spouse visa or would pictures from a face to face (after marriage) brief visit be more than acceptable? Obviously at the moment in the current climate we have a long distance relationship but constantly communicating over WhatsApp and FB messenger.

Thank you in advance