ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EEA-route section for queries about the EEA-route settled status under Appendix EU (EU settlement scheme)

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Asim007
Newly Registered
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by Asim007 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi everyone!

I have folowing questions about my wife’s ILR and absence situation.

She entered UK on 23rd April 2015 as tier 1 dependent. She got 3 years extension in april 2016. She needs 1 more extension in april 2019 to complete 5 years route for ILR in april 2020.

And this is her absense break down from UK

APR 2015 - APR 2016 (34 days)
APR 2016 - APR 2017 (112 days)
APR 2017 - APR 2018 (94 days)

1. is there any maximum number of absence limit for 5 years before applying for ILR?
2. We should only worry about 180 days per 12 months limit for absences after 11 january 2018? Or because she needs one more extension, all absences will count.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Asim

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 30527
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am
PBS Dependants' absences are not impacted during leave granted prior to 11 Jan 2108.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Asim007
Newly Registered
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by Asim007 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Thank's vinny for replying
So this means there is no maximum absence limit for 5 years but for only 12 months period

vinny wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 pm
vinny wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am
PBS Dependants' absences are not impacted during leave granted prior to 11 Jan 2108.

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Asim007 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am
Thank's vinny for replying
So this means there is no maximum absence limit for 5 years but for only 12 months period

vinny wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 pm
vinny wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am
PBS Dependants' absences are not impacted during leave granted prior to 11 Jan 2108.
Correct, the limit in her case is only for the time between April 2019 and April 2020
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

thippeshcam
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm
India

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by thippeshcam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:48 pm

marcnath wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 pm
Subhasisbilas wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Hi,

I am already Settlement (ILR) visa holder in UK(Main applicant).

This query is regarding ILR application for Tier 2 Dependents for wife and son.

Details of their TIER 2 VISA

Entry clearance Tier2 dependant Visa issued - 23 May 2012(Before 9 July 2012)
Date Entered in UK- 16 Sep 2012

Absence Details from UK

21 Apr 2013 to 6 aug 2014--17 Months Which is beyond 180 days per calendar year

but dependents are staying with me in UK continously since 6 Aug 2014 till today with No absence since 6 august 2014.


As a change in the existing current PBS Dependent ILR Application rule which were made on 7th Dec 2017 and 180 days absence in any calendar rule applicable for all applications made after 11 Jan 2018(where 180 days absence rules is extended to Dependents also) .

I am planning to apply for ILR 2 year route for them as entry clearance visa stamped before 9 July 2012.

As per 2 year ILR Route for Dependents rule , Tier 2 Visa Application and Entry clearance Visa Stamped before 9th July 2012 and Continous stay( 2 years of stay) with me in UK since August 6 2014 till date, Can i apply for ILR for Wife and son though there is a gap of more than 180 days in any calendar year in the year apr 2013 to Aug 2014.

Please confirm as i heard a rule got changed just last month as 180 days absence is applicable to dependents for ILR application. As i already booked on last week of Jan 2018 for Premium service slot in next month for dependents before their current leave to remain visa expires in February 2018 under 2 Year ILR Route considering their continous stay in UK since 6 August 2014 till date and Entry Clearance Visa Stamped before 9th July 2012.

Please advise whether should i continue with my ILR Dependent application(Premium Service) for wife and son under ILR 2 year route .

Thanks .
Yes, you can continue.

The recent changes:
1) do not apply to the 2 year rule
2) even if it did, it would only apply to absences after 11 Jan 2018
Hi Subhasisbilas,

Just wanted to know whether your dependent's ILR application was successful? I am also in the same route for my dependents.

Many thanks
thippesh

mahs
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by mahs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi All,

I and my wife are in a similar situation and will appreciate some help.

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant visa.
She got her visa in September 2017 and came to the UK in October 2017.
Her visa is valid until April 2021, so she needs to apply for an extension for 1.5 years in 2021 (I will hopefully get the ILR by that date).

Since March this year, she has already spent around 140 days out of the UK.

Considering she can normally apply for ILR in Oct 2022: What will happen is she continues to stay out of the UK right now for more than 40 more days (more than 180 days since March 2018)? She prefers to stay until February 2019, but is this going to be a problem for her ILR application in 2022?

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

M.

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

mahs wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi All,

I and my wife are in a similar situation and will appreciate some help.

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant visa.
She got her visa in September 2017 and came to the UK in October 2017.
Her visa is valid until April 2021, so she needs to apply for an extension for 1.5 years in 2021 (I will hopefully get the ILR by that date).

Since March this year, she has already spent around 140 days out of the UK.

Considering she can normally apply for ILR in Oct 2022: What will happen is she continues to stay out of the UK right now for more than 40 more days (more than 180 days since March 2018)? She prefers to stay until February 2019, but is this going to be a problem for her ILR application in 2022?

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

M.
The absence period does not apply to visas granted before Jan 2018, so it does not apply to your wife until her next renewal.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

mahs
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by mahs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

mahs
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by mahs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 pm

marcnath wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm
mahs wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi All,

I and my wife are in a similar situation and will appreciate some help.

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant visa.
She got her visa in September 2017 and came to the UK in October 2017.
Her visa is valid until April 2021, so she needs to apply for an extension for 1.5 years in 2021 (I will hopefully get the ILR by that date).

Since March this year, she has already spent around 140 days out of the UK.

Considering she can normally apply for ILR in Oct 2022: What will happen is she continues to stay out of the UK right now for more than 40 more days (more than 180 days since March 2018)? She prefers to stay until February 2019, but is this going to be a problem for her ILR application in 2022?

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

M.
The absence period does not apply to visas granted before Jan 2018, so it does not apply to your wife until her next renewal.
OK, may I ask a follow up question please.

So our understanding is that:
1- For visas granted before Jan 2018 there is NO absence period. So she could remain out of the country for example until the end of her visa in April and it won't affect her ILR application in 2022. Is this correct??

2- When she renews her visa in 2021, she then needs to be careful not to stay out of the UK for more than 180 days before her application for ILR. Is this correct please?

BTW, is there going to be a problem for her VISA if she continues to stay out of the country? Hopefully it is not going to be revoked in any case for not being in the UK; is it?!

Many thanks again for your replies, and sorry if the questions seem repetitive; this is a very stressful period for us and we just want to make sure we are not making any wrong assumptions.

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 pm

mahs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 pm
marcnath wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm
mahs wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi All,

I and my wife are in a similar situation and will appreciate some help.

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant visa.
She got her visa in September 2017 and came to the UK in October 2017.
Her visa is valid until April 2021, so she needs to apply for an extension for 1.5 years in 2021 (I will hopefully get the ILR by that date).

Since March this year, she has already spent around 140 days out of the UK.

Considering she can normally apply for ILR in Oct 2022: What will happen is she continues to stay out of the UK right now for more than 40 more days (more than 180 days since March 2018)? She prefers to stay until February 2019, but is this going to be a problem for her ILR application in 2022?

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

M.
The absence period does not apply to visas granted before Jan 2018, so it does not apply to your wife until her next renewal.
OK, may I ask a follow up question please.

So our understanding is that:
1- For visas granted before Jan 2018 there is NO absence period. So she could remain out of the country for example until the end of her visa in April and it won't affect her ILR application in 2022. Is this correct??

2- When she renews her visa in 2021, she then needs to be careful not to stay out of the UK for more than 180 days before her application for ILR. Is this correct please?

BTW, is there going to be a problem for her VISA if she continues to stay out of the country? Hopefully it is not going to be revoked in any case for not being in the UK; is it?!

Many thanks again for your replies, and sorry if the questions seem repetitive; this is a very stressful period for us and we just want to make sure we are not making any wrong assumptions.
That is correct as the rules stand today. Obviously, they can change it.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Johnnydep
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Mood:

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by Johnnydep » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Dear all,

I am in the process of waiting for my tier 2 visa decision. With a hope in achieving ILR in 5 years time.

I've been reading through all the posts to get an understanding but Im very confused.

Can somebody explain what does it mean by *for a period of 180 days or less in any of the 5 consecutive 12 months period preceding the date of the application.*

Does it simply mean that I am not allowed to stay away from UK for more than 180 days each year for 5 years or it has a more subtle meaning than that?

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Dear all,

I am in the process of waiting for my tier 2 visa decision. With a hope in achieving ILR in 5 years time.

I've been reading through all the posts to get an understanding but Im very confused.

Can somebody explain what does it mean by *for a period of 180 days or less in any of the 5 consecutive 12 months period preceding the date of the application.*

Does it simply mean that I am not allowed to stay away from UK for more than 180 days each year for 5 years or it has a more subtle meaning than that?
The highlighted part is the correct meaning. But a "year" is calculated backwards from the application date. So, if you apply on 24th June, the year is from 25th June to 24th June.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Johnnydep
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Mood:

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by Johnnydep » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:01 pm

marcnath wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Dear all,

I am in the process of waiting for my tier 2 visa decision. With a hope in achieving ILR in 5 years time.

I've been reading through all the posts to get an understanding but Im very confused.

Can somebody explain what does it mean by *for a period of 180 days or less in any of the 5 consecutive 12 months period preceding the date of the application.*

Does it simply mean that I am not allowed to stay away from UK for more than 180 days each year for 5 years or it has a more subtle meaning than that?
The highlighted part is the correct meaning. But a "year" is calculated backwards from the application date. So, if you apply on 24th June, the year is from 25th June to 24th June.
Thank you. I read other posts in this thread. They said they can count any 365 days within 5 years period. If I apply on 24th June. Is it still any 365 days within 5 years or the year counts from 25th to 24th?

Thank you again

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:01 pm
marcnath wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Dear all,

I am in the process of waiting for my tier 2 visa decision. With a hope in achieving ILR in 5 years time.

I've been reading through all the posts to get an understanding but Im very confused.

Can somebody explain what does it mean by *for a period of 180 days or less in any of the 5 consecutive 12 months period preceding the date of the application.*

Does it simply mean that I am not allowed to stay away from UK for more than 180 days each year for 5 years or it has a more subtle meaning than that?
The highlighted part is the correct meaning. But a "year" is calculated backwards from the application date. So, if you apply on 24th June, the year is from 25th June to 24th June.
Thank you. I read other posts in this thread. They said they can count any 365 days within 5 years period. If I apply on 24th June. Is it still any 365 days within 5 years or the year counts from 25th to 24th?

Thank you again
Depends on when you visa was granted. If it was before Jan 2018, then it is 180 days in each year
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Johnnydep
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Mood:

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by Johnnydep » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:59 am

marcnath wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 pm
Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:01 pm
marcnath wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Johnnydep wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Dear all,

I am in the process of waiting for my tier 2 visa decision. With a hope in achieving ILR in 5 years time.

I've been reading through all the posts to get an understanding but Im very confused.

Can somebody explain what does it mean by *for a period of 180 days or less in any of the 5 consecutive 12 months period preceding the date of the application.*

Does it simply mean that I am not allowed to stay away from UK for more than 180 days each year for 5 years or it has a more subtle meaning than that?
The highlighted part is the correct meaning. But a "year" is calculated backwards from the application date. So, if you apply on 24th June, the year is from 25th June to 24th June.
Thank you. I read other posts in this thread. They said they can count any 365 days within 5 years period. If I apply on 24th June. Is it still any 365 days within 5 years or the year counts from 25th to 24th?

Thank you again
Depends on when you visa was granted. If it was before Jan 2018, then it is 180 days in each year

Thank you. Right. My visa will only start from 2018 Dec. So it is not 180 days each year. How does it count for 180 days?

Is it 180 days for 5 years?

I just can't understand. Too complicated.

Many thanks

Bil_Ent
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm

New Rule Confusion For 10 Years Rout

Post by Bil_Ent » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:08 am

Hello All Guro's

i am bit confused about change in law for ILR for 10 years rout,
i came in Sept,2009 and going to complete 10 years soon lawfully via PBS System but i spent 178 days out of UK from March,2014 to September,2014.then i been out of UK in Jan,2015 to Feb,2015 for about 30 days,so the confusion is that will it concider over 180 days? or the 30 days will count in the previous year,and if it counts so should i apply in April,2020 to concider last 5 years till 2015? so that 2014 year will be minus?

your guideline will be Really helpful TIA

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 79859
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: New Rule Confusion For 10 Years Rout

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 am

Bil_Ent wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:08 am
Hello All Guro's

i am bit confused about change in law for ILR for 10 years rout,
i came in Sept,2009 and going to complete 10 years soon lawfully via PBS System but i spent 178 days out of UK from March,2014 to September,2014.then i been out of UK in Jan,2015 to Feb,2015 for about 30 days,so the confusion is that will it concider over 180 days? or the 30 days will count in the previous year,and if it counts so should i apply in April,2020 to concider last 5 years till 2015? so that 2014 year will be minus?

your guideline will be Really helpful TIA
This "new rule" is NOT for ILR based on long residence. It is ONLY for ILR based on 5 years residence PBS route!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mcsat
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm
Kazakhstan

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by mcsat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Does residence rule apply for PBS Dependent Children Born in UK?

Thanks

User avatar
marcnath
Moderator
Posts: 6134
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by marcnath » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:33 am

mcsat wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:10 pm
Does residence rule apply for PBS Dependent Children Born in UK?

Thanks
No, it does not apply to children - whether born in UK or not
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

ash2006
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by ash2006 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Is it okay for my wife still to go visit back home from Jan 29 to March 16 , she applying ilr in August when it expires she hasn't left uk the since she has been here in 2014 June, only now in January and she going for 5 weeks
Spouse Visa
Entered UK 10/06/14
Flrm applied Feb 2017
Expires 19 August 2019
Ilr application submitted 17/07/2019
Appointment bio metric super priority-31 July 2019

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 79859
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

ash2006 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 pm
Is it okay for my wife still to go visit back home from Jan 29 to March 16 , she applying ilr in August when it expires she hasn't left uk the since she has been here in 2014 June, only now in January and she going for 5 weeks
Yes as that is clearly less than 180 days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

IsabelleLoulou
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:24 am
France

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by IsabelleLoulou » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:11 am

Hello everyone!

I am very confused with all these changes... I am French and we live in Uk since the 20th April 2013..We used to travel during few weeks, as a break, since we are here..So, we almost spent 144 days outside Uk during this last 5 years ( including May 2018, and from April 2017 to April 2018: we spent 54 days outside Uk...and from may 2018 to the 6th of March 2019: we will have 30 days outside+ 93 days outside Uk (= 123 days outside Uk ) ...as we are actually spending time outside Uk for 93 days since the 3rd of December as our children are learning German during these 93 days...so, can we still apply and not failed? If yes, when shall we apply exactly ? When is the best time for us to apply as we will be back on the 6 th of March 2019?
It will be very helpful if you could bring some light on these points...
Thank you in advance💐

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 79859
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Big changes to continuous residence rule for ILR applicants under PBS

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 am

IsabelleLoulou wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:11 am
Hello everyone!

I am very confused with all these changes... I am French and we live in Uk since the 20th April 2013..We used to travel during few weeks, as a break, since we are here..So, we almost spent 144 days outside Uk during this last 5 years ( including May 2018, and from April 2017 to April 2018: we spent 54 days outside Uk...and from may 2018 to the 6th of March 2019: we will have 30 days outside+ 93 days outside Uk (= 123 days outside Uk ) ...as we are actually spending time outside Uk for 93 days since the 3rd of December as our children are learning German during these 93 days...so, can we still apply and not failed? If yes, when shall we apply exactly ? When is the best time for us to apply as we will be back on the 6 th of March 2019?
It will be very helpful if you could bring some light on these points...
Thank you in advance💐
This topic does NOT apply to EU citizens in the UK. It is for UK immigration rule PBS visa category.

Please post your questions in the sub forum link below for eea/EU route queries.

eea-route-applications/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Locked
cron