ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (General) Tax and 322(5) refusals + Court of Appeal judgments

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

secret.simon

Tier 1 (General) Tax and 322(5) refusals + Court of Appeal judgments

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Court castigates Home Office over misuse of immigration law

Damning verdict says use of terrorism-related rule to refuse applications is legally flawed
The court also gave applicants threatened under 322(5) a new and extra layer of protection by finding that all further use of the clause must be subject to article 8 of the European convention on human rights, meaning the notice of liability to removal – which is the consequence of refusal of indefinite leave to remain (ILR) – will “constitute an interference with those rights which the secretary of state will have to justify”.

The judgment added: “His decision on that question will be reviewable as a matter of fact, whether in the context of a ‘human rights appeal’ or, where no such appeal is available, in judicial review proceedings.”
Judgment in full - Balajigari & Others -v-Secretary of State for the Home Department
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Re: Court of Appeal judgment on 322(5) refusals

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Major judgment finds Home Office policy of ejecting migrants over tax discrepancies “legally flawed”

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/paragra ... ly-flawed/

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm

A well deserved kicking for the purveyor of the hostile environment policy.

A good slap in the face for Theresa May and Sajid Javid, who had used migrant as a cover for their failed Brexit shambles.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

masterpeas
Vietnam

Post by masterpeas » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Finally!!!

are we still waiting for part C? the decision on how JR cases can be affected with human rights consideration or not?

will this be a long battle for some that further review is called upon by COA to UT to establish facts of dishonesty before refusals bluntly?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

322(5) Ruling

Post by bruteforce » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... lly-flawed

In case if someone interested in this.

vinny

Tax and 322(5) refusals

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 am

Zimba wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:08 pm
The tax amendment issues were discussed here at length when the Tier 1 General ILR were being refused. Data shows that many of the people involved had huge tax discrepancies. Accountant error as an explanation was also largely dismissed when these cases went to the tribunal. The success rate seems to be around 50%. If the errors were genuine and discrepancies were marginal, you have a case otherwise you will face difficulty.
More: https://www.ein.org.uk/news/breaking-co ... 5-refusals
Tax issues could affect ILR under all the routes

See also cases.

E.g. Balajigari v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [2019] EWCA Civ 673 (16 April 2019).

Tier 1 (General): Perspectives on Paragraph 322(5) and ILR.

Tax discrepancies and paragraph 322(5) refusals: what are they and how to challenge them.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Andkelso
Newly Registered

Post by Andkelso » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:14 am

masterpeas wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm
Finally!!!

are we still waiting for part C? the decision on how JR cases can be affected with human rights consideration or not?

will this be a long battle for some that further review is called upon by COA to UT to establish facts of dishonesty before refusals bluntly?
There is a update finally by Nov 2019, that HO has sent letters to most of the appeals returning their legal costs& they are reconsidering w.r.t decision of Balajigari case!
Aldo,due to infrenge of human Rights on 10 yrs long stay,it would be hard for HO to refuse easily,this will add additional out come for tax issues cases!
Hope for the best!
There r still cases 30,000 cases pending currently under 322(5) tier 1 refusals, all suspense right
Plszzz excuse for typo errors.
Guys,pls keep update this points regularly pls,helps all

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:27 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Andkelso
Newly Registered

Post by Andkelso » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:42 pm

masterpeas wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm
Finally!!!

Just a quick update :
HO sent case withdrawal letters to most of those who submitted on Time AR or appeal& returned their legal costs/fees from Around Nov 2019, their cases sent back to original case worker.
A) For all this on 5 yr based needed to recheck if if there is no tax difference, if there is they should rectify, if rectified they can submit explanations that should be vaid as per Tax refusals HO Doc PDF released 01 Nov 2019 guidance,
A1) Their case may be accepted ,however it is advised to look for other options of they have human rights claim that is out side immigration rules to win the case finally.

B) if it's under 10 yr ILR,they should do above exercise for all 10 years& prove their character & conduct is lawful+ always advised to bring out human rights claim or British child/dependents to a positive over all closure.

C) if there is no human rights claim along with above rectifications, it would be highly impossible to get ur BRP.
It's very rare remote chance,so pls look for all possible options before u blindly apply for 10Years Set LR or any other apps before wasting ur application fee which is extremely high these days!
D) Try highlight discretionary leave grants or human rights claim as a final closure to positive success.
Hope this helps all those looking for a final solution rather than temporary solutions!
Good luck&
plszzz all keep adding updating this posts or URLs or any other threads u may feel useful in these scenarios would much help millions who caught up due to innocent tax issues for no errors of their own.
Atgmail or google will help& not to be disappointed!
Good luck!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 am

I made this post sticky as it has some very good information :idea:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Re: Tax and 322(5) refusals + Court of Appeal judgments

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Old Guidance: Review of Tier 1 (General) settlement refusals > Tier 1 (General) operational instruction.

New Home Office Guidance on Refusing ILR for Tax Discrepancies.
On 16th January 2020, the Home Office issued new guidance for UK Visas and Immigration caseworkers assessing Tier 1 (General) ILR applications, entitled 'False representation: Tier 1 (General) earnings conerns'. The new information is intended to be used with the existing false representation guidance, which was released in Autumn 2019.

Section 322 (5) of the Immigration Rules

Section 322 (5) of the Immigration Rules (part 9: grounds for refusal) outlines grounds for the rejection of leave to remain or variation of leave to enter or remain in the UK. It states, "the undesirability of permitting the person concerned to remain in the United Kingdom in the light of his conduct (including convictions which do not fall within paragraph 322(1C), character or associations or the fact that he represents a threat to national security". As of November 2018, according to (then) Minister for Immigration, Caroline Noakes, nearly 1,700 applications had been refused on the basis of section 322(5). Of these, 1,490 had discrepancies between earnings declared to the Home Office and those on HMRC records.

The case of Balajigari v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2019] EWCA Civ 673 in April 2019 was significant in that it challenged a number of refusals by the Home Office on the basis of Section 322 (5) earnings discrepancies. It was concluded by the Court of Appeal that "the approach taken by the Secretary of State in deciding to refuse the applications for leave to remain in each of these cases on paragraph 322 (5) grounds - which we take to have been his general approach in all earnings discrepancy cases - was legally flawed". They reached this conclusion because the Home Office had proceeded immediately from the discovery of discrepancies to a decision that dishonesty had occurred. As such, the applicants had not been given an opportunity to provide an innocent reason for the discrepancy.

As a result of this ruling by the Court of Appeal, the Home Office published the October guidance, which some senior immigration law commentators considered to be an overly narrow interpretation of the conclusion reached. The October guidance introduced a new "Minded to Refuse notification" (MTR) procedure (i.e. notification that the application may be refused on the grounds of false representation). On face value this was a positive move as it allows the applicant to explain the reason for any financial discrepancy. However, the guidance imposes conditions on this new notification, including that "The applicant may not necessarily know about the information you have considered or its significance, for example information obtained directly from another Government Department".

What is the purpose of the revised guidance?

The new guidance expands on the use of MTR letters, and the considerations which must be made before one is issued. The broad process outlined is as follows:
  1. Initial consideration against all relevant factors
  2. Send MTR letter
  3. Consider response against all relevant factors
  4. Final decision
In some cases, Home Office officials have provided questionnaires to clarify earnings and tax returns (as opposed to formal MTR letters), but the new guidance clarifies that these cannot be used in lieu of MTR letters. In such circumstances, MTR letters will need to be sent in accordance with the process above.

According to the guidance, some of the factors which should be taken into account by case officers when considering applications include:
  • The extent of the discrepancy
  • Whether any difference between the amount declared and the formal tax recorded would have altered the points awarded when applying for settlement
  • Look for factors which indicate dishonesty including timing (i.e. dishonesty may be more likely if the declaration made to the Home Office was made around the same time a lower amount was reported to the Inland Revenue)
  • Whether there are any signs an error was made by the applicant's accountant
  • Whether there are any other mitigating factors which may explain the discrepancy
  • If there were any overseas earnings, could exchange rate variation explain the difference?
If there is reason to conclude that discrepancy occurred as a result of an innocent mistake, the new guidance states the case can be granted immediately.

It is also made clear that the Case Officer must provide unambiguous reasoning for their concerns within the MTR; "you must explain your concerns unambiguously to the applicant, to ensure they understand them and have a fair chance to respond".

Responses to MTR letters from applicants must show that 'on the balance of probability' any concerns raised have been addressed with "full, particularised and convincing explanation, and evidence where possible". As such, assertions made by the applicant will be disregarded. The guidance also makes it very clear that if there is any evidence that the response made appears to be a 'stock answer', or that it doesn't seem to have been written specifically for the application in hand, there will be strong grounds for refusal.

If any element of clarification requested in the MTR is not provided by the applicant, no further clarification needs to be sought in writing by the Case Officer; "If something is missing, you should check whether the applicant has responded to all the questions in the MTR letter and can have reasonably been expected to have provided it. You do not need to write out again for anything further providing the MTR letter was clear".

Final words

While it is positive that Tier 1 (General) settlement applicants will have a right to provide an explanation if there is a discrepancy between the income declared in their application and the income stated on their tax return, there remains a strong element of uncertainty that the application will be granted even if an MTR is issued. Even if the applicant is entirely innocent of any wrongdoing, if the Case Officer is not entirely convinced by the answer/s given, or something is missing, the application may be refused. As ever, it pays to be extremely diligent in your original application, and if problems do arise, seek the advice of an experienced immigration law professional who can help you navigate the increasingly complex rules and guidance being issued by the Home Office
False representations: Tier 1 (General) earnings concerns

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 am

masterpeas
Vietnam

Post by masterpeas » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 am
New Perspectives on Paragraph 322(5) and ILR
> Khan, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (Dishonesty, tax return, paragraph 322(5)) [2018] UKUT 384 (IAC) (3 May 2018)

Abbasi (rule 43; para 322(5): accountants' evidence) Pakistan [2020] UKUT 27 (IAC) (8 January 2020)

Court of Appeal holds paragraph 276B(ii) and paragraph 322(5) represent discrete tests for refusing ILR > Tahir Yaseen v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 157 (14 February 2020)

Tribunal’s guidance on paragraph 322(5) and accountants > Ashfaq (Balajigari: appeals) [2020] UKUT 226 (IAC) (17 June 2020)

Court of Appeal refuses to reopen paragraph 322(5) appeal > R (Akram) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2020] EWCA Civ 1072 (12 August 2020)
thank you so much for these helpful updates which give us strength to carry on and rely on.

is there anybody who is still fighting like myself?

I was offered with limited leave (30m) with a 1k Health surcharge to pay because HO made it up by saying I signed for some consent if ILR is not successful then they can vary my application to limited leave - i never signed such consent with my online application for SET(L) and they cannot prove i signed. totally nonsense and cannot believe they play people like such... :evil: say what they want and do what they want to manipulate people's life. :|

i am still fighting for JR. hope for some light at the end of the tunnel....

mikegrant
Newly Registered

Post by mikegrant » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:40 pm

@masterpeas Any update on your case? I also got 30months and placed on the 10 year route

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:19 pm

mikegrant wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:40 pm
@masterpeas Any update on your case? I also got 30months and placed on the 10 year route
The user hasn't logged on to the forum for 2 years!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chuck2020
Newly Registered

Post by chuck2020 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:13 am

mikegrant wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:40 pm

teeshabeesha
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by teeshabeesha » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:13 pm

@masterpeace@mikegrant and others did you get 30M extension after JR? I vary my application in late 2021to 10 year route and still waiting for the decision?
KR

teeshabeesha
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Tier 1 (General) Tax and 322(5) refusals + Court of Appeal judgments

Post by teeshabeesha » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:13 pm

Hi
I have received today MTR and a questionnaire of more then 30 questions , don't have enough clue how to give all these answers any suggestions ?

Manjeet007
Newly Registered

Post by Manjeet007 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:43 pm

Hi
Yu need a good lawyer to reply MTR
It's yur last chance so don't waste it
If yu need advice from me contact me since I was in this mess
Many sympathies for yu cos it's very hard battle yu are in..... :(

teeshabeesha
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by teeshabeesha » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:05 pm

@manjeet had compiled the MTR response with well known solicitors and hope to get the decision ...its a long wait since 2016...wat abt you did you get ilr after mtr or 30months ltr?

ashak
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by ashak » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:24 am

I was strucked in the same case T1G and 322 applied as well .. even JR was exhausted .. I fought the case from 2014 and in the end in 2019 I won .. HO withdrawn the case .. I cant imagine still there are professionals waiting for the desicion.. Good Luck all

teeshabeesha
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by teeshabeesha » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:46 pm

Yeah mate still quite a lot professionals are stuck in this mess....finally they refused me and gave 30 months with IHS fees.