ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Fees 2017-2018

Please use this section of the board for queries about Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However please use the EEA-route section for queries about the EEA-route equivalent of Permanent Residence (PR).


This section is relevant irrespective of whether current status is Tiered or Non-Tiered.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

chenzz
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by chenzz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:40 am

paradoxical wrote:I think the main mistake you are making is the assumption that the 'visa administration' should be self sustaining and this is all.
That is the justification that the Home Office is using for the increasingly high fee, the objective being to make it self-sustaining and without relying on tax-payers money (and to that extent I completely agree)

(and yes if the UK wants to attract tourists and students but not charge them a high fee then that is another reason for high ILR fees)
Work through the table of costs from the Home Office and you should be able to conclude that, that is not the reason.

Actually the high cost should be used to make people thing a lot if really worth them to go for ILR. that is what self selection means
This is a flawed argument, and using this argument, there is no limit to what can be charged. At some point if the rules change and an additional requirement is to donate one kidney before getting ILR (since a person can still live with one kidney), your argument will still hold (i.e. people should be made to think a lot if it is really worth getting an ILR) and that just shows that the argument you presented puts no bound on what is reasonable and what is unreasonable.
In order to be eligible for ILR, one has to live for 5 years and pay taxes and earn a decent amount of money (and hence pay decent amount of taxes) or live legally for 10 years (which is a significant time of one's life). If after that, a person picks a form, fills it and pays a "reasonable" fee (which should be ~£500), that still is quite a long process and a person must have thought a lot if it is worth it or not etc. But to charge someone of the order of 5 times more (which can amount to ~10,000 for an average family) is simply brutal. To put the 10,000 in perspective, think of the recent Brexit debate. The politicians were trying to convince people on either side by making arguments like how a family will be ~80 pounds better off/120 pounds worse off etc. THAT is the amount which many politicians deemed to be a decent amount to change someone's opinion. And here, we are talking about charging a family with ~10,000 to get ILR, the amount of money that an average person might save over several years....simply preposterous

very solid argument.
I just wanna point out the main reason why the price of the ILR is going unreasonably high is simply due to the nature of democracy. We, as foreigners, are not holding any voting power, so to speak.
The expense of student/visitor visa will impact the tourism/education business, which inevitably will hit many local business and employees.
while we, ILR applicants, are already residents to the country. Whether we decided to apply for ILR or not won't affect anyone else locally.
The only financially reasonable thing for UKBA to do is raise the price for ILR, which effectively will at least make a good profit, if not reducing the numbers the applicants, which ultimately is their goal, aligning with the proposal to limit the numbers to 100000 before 2020.

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:54 pm

chenzz wrote:We, as foreigners, are not holding any voting power, so to speak.
That is not correct. Commonwealth citizens resident in the UK on any visa other than a visit visa have the right to vote. So, Indian, Pakistani and Nigerian migrants, to name just three of the fifty-plus nationalities in the Commonwealth, can and should register to vote, as I did since my arrival in the UK.
seasky wrote:I think the main mistake you are making is the assumption that the 'visa administration' should be self sustaining and this is all.
It is a stated objective of the Home Office for the immigration system to be self-funding by 2019-20.
paradoxical wrote:As I mentioned, the immigration fees regulations, which are due to be laid in Parliament in mid-March and will come into force in April, will remain completely within the parameters agreed by Parliament and in line with the impact assessment published with the 2016 order.

This is from https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... )Order2017
In the debate linked to above, the minister for immigration has stated "The regulations for the 2017-18 fees are due to be laid before Parliament in March.".

I would also like to thank all sides of the discussion in this thread in keeping the discussion intelligent, informative and courteous, while exploring differing and divergent points of views on what would normally be a one-sided discussion. I, for one, am enjoying the thoughtful exploration of the topic.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Also, see earlier similar discussion on Home office fees.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

paboluuk
Junior Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:31 am

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paboluuk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi All, Was there any major changes in Immigration rules during 2017-18 for ILR category ?

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 78612
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:18 pm

paboluuk wrote:Hi All, Was there any major changes in Immigration rules during 2017-18 for ILR category ?
No. This topic is about ILR fees, not general immigration rule changes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paradoxical
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 am

I just wanna point out the main reason why the price of the ILR is going unreasonably high is simply due to the nature of democracy. We, as foreigners, are not holding any voting power, so to speak.
The expense of student/visitor visa will impact the tourism/education business, which inevitably will hit many local business and employees.
while we, ILR applicants, are already residents to the country. Whether we decided to apply for ILR or not won't affect anyone else locally.
The only financially reasonable thing for UKBA to do is raise the price for ILR, which effectively will at least make a good profit, if not reducing the numbers the applicants, which ultimately is their goal, aligning with the proposal to limit the numbers to 100000 before 2020.


That is not correct. Commonwealth citizens resident in the UK on any visa other than a visit visa have the right to vote. So, Indian, Pakistani and Nigerian migrants, to name just three of the fifty-plus nationalities in the Commonwealth, can and should register to vote, as I did since my arrival in the UK.

Actually I partially agree to chenzz. I agree that Commonwealth citizens have the right to vote here in all elections (provided they are resident in the UK) but that is not enough to address this issue because this issue affects a relatively much smaller segment of population. Not enough numbers to have this an issue to form part of any election campaign, or pledge/promise. In fact, most likely, the majority of MPs are not even going to be aware of this issue. The other option is to actually write letters to one's MPs detailing the issue. This is what any person resident in the UK can do, but again, that is a slow process and in the meantime, the MP/MPs in charge see little prospects of being challenged no matter how high a fee they propose for charging, and therefore they continue to do so.
I would also like to thank all sides of the discussion in this thread in keeping the discussion intelligent, informative and courteous, while exploring differing and divergent points of views on what would normally be a one-sided discussion. I, for one, am enjoying the thoughtful exploration of the topic.

Thank you :)

paradoxical
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:21 am

It's strange that the new visa regulations are not announced yet. This might well mean that fees wouldn't rise in April (since there is some notice period isn't? )
Perhaps the government is waiting for Article 50 to be triggered and would then lump the ILR and Residence Card for EU together as one category..

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 78612
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am

paradoxical wrote:It's strange that the new visa regulations are not announced yet. This might well mean that fees wouldn't rise in April (since there is some notice period isn't? )
Perhaps the government is waiting for Article 50 to be triggered and would then lump the ILR and Residence Card for EU together as one category..
Until the day we leave the EU in a couple of years time, this is not possible, they are still two separate routes and different rules/requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chenzz
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by chenzz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 pm

paradoxical wrote:It's strange that the new visa regulations are not announced yet. This might well mean that fees wouldn't rise in April (since there is some notice period isn't? )
.
That's indeed very strange.
Let's hope our dreams come true.

paradoxical
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Until the day we leave the EU in a couple of years time, this is not possible, they are still two separate routes and different rules/requirements.
You are probably right but I wouldn't be so sure. The rules/requirements are different but even within ILR, there are a number of different routes for obtaining ILR, and it is possible to rename the EU residency as "ILR" and proceed from there. As far as I have understood, the right of permanent residency after living for 5 years is provided by an EU directive and that will stay for at least until March 2019, and surely the MPs wouldn't come up with any legislation that could be challenged in EU court. However, the British Nationality Act of 1981 requires evidence of permanent residency for at least 12 months for naturalisation (non-EU provides that by having ILR, and those from EU now have to show a permanent residence card from November 2015 as part of a naturalisation application).
so I think we can't completely rule this out, it would be very drastic to suddenly jump from ~60 to ~2,000 but perhaps keeping the figure as low as 60 until March 2019 will again be problematic if suddenly there is a massive jump then.. So I thought that the delay in coming up with new visa fees might have to do with this issue. In any case, I am sure that those responsible are pondering over all these issues and soon we will find out :-)

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
paradoxical wrote:It's strange that the new visa regulations are not announced yet. This might well mean that fees wouldn't rise in April (since there is some notice period isn't? )
Perhaps the government is waiting for Article 50 to be triggered and would then lump the ILR and Residence Card for EU together as one category..
Until the day we leave the EU in a couple of years time, this is not possible, they are still two separate routes and different rules/requirements.
+1

Until Brexit day itself (presumably 29th March 2019), EU law continues to apply in the UK and the UK government can't charge a fee higher than that of what a British citizen would pay for an equivalent document in the UK. As we do not have ID cards in the UK, therefore the cap for fees for applications under the EU route is that of what a British citizen would pay for a passport.

So, the fees for applications under the EEA & non-EEA routes will continue to differ until at least that date. Note that these routes terminate at ILR & PR. Naturalisation procedures (including fees) are the exclusive province of the nation-state and EU law does not apply to that.
paradoxical wrote:It's strange that the new visa regulations are not announced yet. This might well mean that fees wouldn't rise in April (since there is some notice period isn't? )
I believe that I was wrong earlier when I advised that there is a 40 day notice period. The Immigration Act 2014 got rid of any requirements subjecting the fees orders and regulations to Parliamentary scrutiny and hence also of the 40 days notice to Parliament requirement.

However, the government has made an Order that lay out the maximum fees for specific applications. But from time to time, it can modify those fees by Regulations (without notice) as long as they are below the maximum amount specified in the Order.

So, it is not impossible that the fees could be increased by Regulations issued on 5th April itself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

paradoxical
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Until Brexit day itself (presumably 29th March 2019), EU law continues to apply in the UK and the UK government can't charge a fee higher than that of what a British citizen would pay for an equivalent document in the UK. As we do not have ID cards in the UK, therefore the cap for fees for applications under the EU route is that of what a British citizen would pay for a passport.

So, the fees for applications under the EEA & non-EEA routes will continue to differ until at least that date. Note that these routes terminate at ILR & PR.
Thanks for the clarification secret.simon. Now this clearly explains that CR001 was stating earlier.
I believe that I was wrong earlier when I advised that there is a 40 day notice period. The Immigration Act 2014 got rid of any requirements subjecting the fees orders and regulations to Parliamentary scrutiny and hence also of the 40 days notice to Parliament requirement.

However, the government has made an Order that lay out the maximum fees for specific applications. But from time to time, it can modify those fees by Regulations (without notice) as long as they are below the maximum amount specified in the Order.

So, it is not impossible that the fees could be increased by Regulations issued on 5th April itself.
Fair enough, thank you for letting us know. I am already mentally prepared for a very high fee anyway (and I still have some time left ;) )

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 30402
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:01 am

See also Fees 2017.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sunshine16
Junior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by sunshine16 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 am

When it is going to be implement ?

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 30402
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 am

Mostly on 6 April 2017.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sm12
Diamond Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:14 am

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by sm12 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 am

Thank you for sharing the announcement here, Vinny. Surprising that they gave absolutely no notice like they used to.

paradoxical
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by paradoxical » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks Vinny.

So the new ILR fee has been increased from £1875 to £2297
And if someone wants to apply in person, then I believe it is an extra (£490 + £100) £590 (Correct me if I am wrong on this part, I have added the entries from Table 17 (17.1.2 and 17.2.1)).
This means that the total cost of an ILR application in person will now be:
£2297 + £590 = £2887

RRSB2012
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by RRSB2012 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this comment.....

Am I reading incorrectly or is it correct that fee for naturalisation had been reduced from £1236 to £1202 ........ seems like I am reading something wrong.

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:58 am

paradoxical wrote:So the new ILR fee has been increased from £1875 to £2297
Another way of looking at it is that ILR fees have more than doubled in three years, from £1093 on 6th April 2014 to £2297 on 6th April 2017, an increase of about 110%.

The rate of increase in ILR fees
2012 - £991
2013 - £1051
2014 - £1093
2015 - £1500
2016 - £1875
2017 - £2297
sm12 wrote:Surprising that they gave absolutely no notice like they used to.
secret.simon wrote:I believe that I was wrong earlier when I advised that there is a 40 day notice period. The Immigration Act 2014 got rid of any requirements subjecting the fees orders and regulations to Parliamentary scrutiny and hence also of the 40 days notice to Parliament requirement.

However, the government has made an Order that lay out the maximum fees for specific applications. But from time to time, it can modify those fees by Regulations (without notice) as long as they are below the maximum amount specified in the Order.

So, it is not impossible that the fees could be increased by Regulations issued on 5th April itself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mql1985
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:19 am

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by mql1985 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am

Hi, I think I read somewhere if you book an appointment for in-person application, you pay the current fee (2016 level, £2375)? Is it true?

chenzz
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by chenzz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

chenzz wrote:
paradoxical wrote:Following that link, here is the relevant part:

As I mentioned, the immigration fees regulations, which are due to be laid in Parliament in mid-March and will come into force in April, will remain completely within the parameters agreed by Parliament and in line with the impact assessment published with the 2016 order.


This is from https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... )Order2017

So expect a fee rise soon...I wish they get a bit easy on ILRs...it is crazy amount now!

I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240

proposed maximum in 2019-2020 is £3250

Apparently I underestimated the cruelty of UKBA.
Totally my fault.

User avatar
Casa
Moderator
Posts: 25132
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 pm

chenzz wrote:
chenzz wrote:
paradoxical wrote:Following that link, here is the relevant part:

As I mentioned, the immigration fees regulations, which are due to be laid in Parliament in mid-March and will come into force in April, will remain completely within the parameters agreed by Parliament and in line with the impact assessment published with the 2016 order.


This is from https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... )Order2017

So expect a fee rise soon...I wish they get a bit easy on ILRs...it is crazy amount now!

I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240

proposed maximum in 2019-2020 is £3250

Apparently I underestimated the cruelty of UKBA.
Totally my fault.
No point in blaming the UKBA. They were disbanded in March 2013 due to being 'unfit for purpose' and replaced by the UKVI :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

chenzz
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by chenzz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Casa wrote:
chenzz wrote:
chenzz wrote:
paradoxical wrote:Following that link, here is the relevant part:

As I mentioned, the immigration fees regulations, which are due to be laid in Parliament in mid-March and will come into force in April, will remain completely within the parameters agreed by Parliament and in line with the impact assessment published with the 2016 order.


This is from https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... )Order2017

So expect a fee rise soon...I wish they get a bit easy on ILRs...it is crazy amount now!

I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240

proposed maximum in 2019-2020 is £3250

Apparently I underestimated the cruelty of UKBA.
Totally my fault.
No point in blaming the UKBA. They were disbanded in March 2013 due to being 'unfit for purpose' and replaced by the UKVI :idea:

UKBA, UKVI, poteito, potato
whatever
same evil!

secret.simon
Moderator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:59 pm

chenzz wrote:I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240
The actual fees were £2297. You were almost spot-on!!! At least your calculations give us a rule-of-thumb to guess at the potential ILR fees in the coming few years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

chenzz
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ILR Fees 2017-2018

Post by chenzz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 pm

secret.simon wrote:
chenzz wrote:I think it will be £2250.00 this year, based on the calculation as

2016-17 1875
2017-18 1875*1.2=2250
2018-19 2250*1.2=2700
2019-20 2700*1.2=3240
The actual fees were £2297. You were almost spot-on!!! At least your calculations give us a rule-of-thumb to guess at the potential ILR fees in the coming few years.

LOL. I guess deep down, I wished I was wrong. :(

Locked
cron