ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When are the new ILR rules expected to be announced?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raghusn
Newly Registered

When are the new ILR rules expected to be announced?

Post by raghusn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:45 am

I came to UK in Sept. 2006 on a work permit and switched to HSMP in Oct.2007 and got extension with Tier-1 which is valid till Oct 2012.
I was hoping to get the ILR in Aug 2011 but then the rules changed to Provisional Citizenship for one to three year effective July 2011.

At present I believe the picture is unclear. When do we expect some clarity to emerge?
I am anxious to know since my second and third children come into university in 2011 /2013. I was hoping we would have the ILR / PC by then and they will not pay the international fee. (We are already paying international fee for my first one doing the six-year medicine course at Cambridge)
Once I get the picture clear, I will have to plan the future course and hence my anxiety - may be we need to send the second and third to India for their studies, which I hate to do as they are doing great in their studies here.
Any advice about which way things are likely to go and when we can expect to know the picture will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading and for your thoughts.
(moderators, sorry about the duplicate post - I think it belongs here and could you please remove it from the Tier-1 General board)

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:13 am

Under the old government, the transitional arrangments stated below were planned (they used to be on the UKBIA website). I guess with the new government you will just have to watch he developments in due course

The Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act received Royal Assent on 21 July 2009.

Sections 39-41 and 47-49 of Part 2 of the Act give effect to earned citizenship, which is planned for introduction in July 2011.

As the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill progressed through Parliament, the government listened to the views of both the House of Lords and the House of Commons.

The government subsequently agreed the following transitional arrangements:

•If a migrant has already been given indefinite leave to remain (ILR – also known as settlement) on the date when earned citizenship is introduced, they will automatically be considered to be a ‘permanent resident’. They will not need to pay or apply for this to occur. They will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.
•If a migrant has applied for indefinite leave to remain before the date when earned citizenship is introduced, and is subsequently granted indefinite leave to remain, they will be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the current rules during the first two years after earned citizenship is introduced.
•The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.
•The introduction of earned citizenship has been postponed by six months, to give people time to adjust to the new system and to allow more applicants who are already in the United Kingdom to apply under the current rules. Earned citizenship will now be introduced in July 2011.
All applications for indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship received before earned citizenship is introduced will be dealt with under the current system.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I think we will hear some thing very soon. May be Sep/Oct times.