Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a British citizen get a visa for his non EU wife if....

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Post Reply
Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by Bombom70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Hello,

From what i've heard its getting really hard to get a visa for SEA girlfriends/wives for England now.
I recently heard of an english guy's wife being refused for a visa in England but she got one for Ireland and they are now both settled there now.

I am from England and have never been to Ireland but am up for a change anyway.

I'm thinking i could get work quite easily in Ireland, but how easy is it likely to be for her to get her foot in the door there?

Would i need to go to Ireland first on my own and get a regular job beforehand, or could we both enter together and go from there?

Cheers

shpirtshqipe
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I’m assuming you’re a British Citizen so,

Once Britain is out of the Block then the freedom of movement rights may or will very likely stop to exist. This means you will not be able to exercise such rights since you’ll no longer be considered a EU Citizen.

Pure speculation here but if Ireland employs a “Skilled worker” scheme for British people then there’s nothing stopping you from getting a work permit and bring your wife over under those conditions.

Good luck

Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by Bombom70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:57 am

Cheers,

As it stands at the moment then, could we both fly into Ireland on the correct visas and just i get work until she gets sorted with the paperwork to be able to live there permanantly?

Thanks again

Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by Bombom70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

Also, dumb question but my girlfriend has to arrive and stay in Ireland for 6 months for the application to remain to be processed right?

She has to arrive on a special visa and stay in Ireland? Right?

ryuzaki
Junior Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by ryuzaki » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:36 am

Basically you need to move over there, for work or if you have sufficient savings and other income to be self sufficient. You can apply for a visitor visa for your GF before you go, as long as you have documentation showing you will exercise treaty rights (e.g. employment letter with start date etc.)

Otherwise you can apply once you arrive and start working.

Once you are there and they issue her visa she can come and join you, and then you immediately apply with the EU1 form for a residency card. She can stay while they decide, which can take up to six months or even longer if there are additional questions or issues.

The UK government tends to be suspicious if you move back soon after getting a residency card, so if you are thinking of ultimately returning I'd wait until she has been there for at least a year if possible. Obviously Brexit is a massive problem and unknown quantity right now too.

One thing I would say as someone who has done it, make sure you check prices in the area you want to move to. In much of Ireland rent is extremely high, like €1500/month for a small 2 bed apartment. Make sure your job pays enough, and don't be afraid to ask for a lot more money than you would get in the UK if the local rents are high. €75k is pretty mediocre anywhere near Dublin!

Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by Bombom70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:36 am
Basically you need to move over there, for work or if you have sufficient savings and other income to be self sufficient. You can apply for a visitor visa for your GF before you go, as long as you have documentation showing you will exercise treaty rights (e.g. employment letter with start date etc.)

Otherwise you can apply once you arrive and start working.

Once you are there and they issue her visa she can come and join you, and then you immediately apply with the EU1 form for a residency card. She can stay while they decide, which can take up to six months or even longer if there are additional questions or issues.

The UK government tends to be suspicious if you move back soon after getting a residency card, so if you are thinking of ultimately returning I'd wait until she has been there for at least a year if possible. Obviously Brexit is a massive problem and unknown quantity right now too.

One thing I would say as someone who has done it, make sure you check prices in the area you want to move to. In much of Ireland rent is extremely high, like €1500/month for a small 2 bed apartment. Make sure your job pays enough, and don't be afraid to ask for a lot more money than you would get in the UK if the local rents are high. €75k is pretty mediocre anywhere near Dublin!
Cheers for that.

So basically are you saying that if my girlfriend doesnt have a job set up in Ireland before she go's, then i will have to go there alone and get work, and then after try and get her in after?

If possible i would rather not split apart, and would hope to enter Ireland together.

We are both hoping to work straight off the bat as soon as we enter Ireland, but not really possible i guess.

Cheers

shpirtshqipe
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by shpirtshqipe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Based on what the OP has posted thus far, I feel he’s being misled.

As far as I know Freedom of Movement can be applied to a Spouse of EU Citizen. That means being legally married. The OP states he wants his girlfriend to join him which is a different situation altogether because He won’t be able to exercise such rights.

Forgive my pessimism but you’re not married to this person and want to come over to apply whilst an EU Citizen. Your situation (of not being married) and the timing of Brexit makes it extremely difficult to achieve (not impossible) what you stated on your opening post before the end of March.

Unless by some miracle Brexit is postponed you may be able to come over and apply whilst a EU Citizen. It all depends how quickly you move things along.

Good luck.

Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by Bombom70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm
Based on what the OP has posted thus far, I feel he’s being misled.

As far as I know Freedom of Movement can be applied to a Spouse of EU Citizen. That means being legally married. The OP states he wants his girlfriend to join him which is a different situation altogether because He won’t be able to exercise such rights.

Forgive my pessimism but you’re not married to this person and want to come over to apply whilst an EU Citizen. Your situation (of not being married) and the timing of Brexit makes it extremely difficult to achieve (not impossible) what you stated on your opening post before the end of March.

Unless by some miracle Brexit is postponed you may be able to come over and apply whilst a EU Citizen. It all depends how quickly you move things along.

Good luck.
The "timing of Brexit"?

Does it really look like happening? LOL

max307
Senior Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:03 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm
Based on what the OP has posted thus far, I feel he’s being misled.

As far as I know Freedom of Movement can be applied to a Spouse of EU Citizen. That means being legally married. The OP states he wants his girlfriend to join him which is a different situation altogether because He won’t be able to exercise such rights.

Forgive my pessimism but you’re not married to this person and want to come over to apply whilst an EU Citizen. Your situation (of not being married) and the timing of Brexit makes it extremely difficult to achieve (not impossible) what you stated on your opening post before the end of March.

Unless by some miracle Brexit is postponed you may be able to come over and apply whilst a EU Citizen. It all depends how quickly you move things along.

Good luck.
Agree! EU Treaty Rights only applies to the spouse (legally married) of an EU citizen, you won't be able to bring your girlfriend to Ireland unless you get legally married first.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Bombom70
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Can a British citizen get a visa for his non EU wife if....

Post by Bombom70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:42 am

....he doesnt have a job set up before he enters Ireland?

For example, i (a British citizen) have money in the bank to support her. Is that enough, or are payslips needed from both/either of us to get the C visa.

Looking at this from the point of view of both of us living and working in Ireland and hopefully buying a small plot of land.

Cheers.

shpirtshqipe
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 am

Re: Can a British citizen get a visa for his non EU wife if....

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Bombom70 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:42 am
....he doesnt have a job set up before he enters Ireland?

For example, i (a British citizen) have money in the bank to support her. Is that enough, or are payslips needed from both/either of us to get the C visa.

Looking at this from the point of view of both of us living and working in Ireland and hopefully buying a small plot of land.

Cheers.
Dude are you married or not married to this woman?

sembe
Newly Registered
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm
Mood:

Re: Procedure for getting Burmese girlfriend settled in Ireland

Post by sembe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am

Bombom70 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 pm
shpirtshqipe wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm
Based on what the OP has posted thus far, I feel he’s being misled.

As far as I know Freedom of Movement can be applied to a Spouse of EU Citizen. That means being legally married. The OP states he wants his girlfriend to join him which is a different situation altogether because He won’t be able to exercise such rights.

Forgive my pessimism but you’re not married to this person and want to come over to apply whilst an EU Citizen. Your situation (of not being married) and the timing of Brexit makes it extremely difficult to achieve (not impossible) what you stated on your opening post before the end of March.

Unless by some miracle Brexit is postponed you may be able to come over and apply whilst a EU Citizen. It all depends how quickly you move things along.

Good luck.
The "timing of Brexit"?

Does it really look like happening? LOL
Unless UK leave without a deal (now very unlikely) there will be TWO years of transition period where everything remain as it is now.

..then again most important question is: are you married or not married to this woman? :lol:

Post Reply
cron