ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Applications - 5 Year Residence and 3 Year's Married to Irish Citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dub23
Ireland

Citizenship Applications - 5 Year Residence and 3 Year's Married to Irish Citizen

Post by Dub23 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for some opinions...

In June 2020 I submitted my naturalisation application based on 5 years legal residence in the state. I am still waiting for my approval.

This month I will be married to an Irish citizen for 3 years. I did disclose my marriage in my original application, so they should be aware of the marriage.

Do you reckon there will be any benefit in me informing the department that I am now also eligible based on being married to an Irish citizen for 3 years (and living together)? I am naively thinking that this might speed up the processing of my application.

Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Citizenship Applications - 5 Year Residence and 3 Year's Married to Irish Citizen

Post by Vorona » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Since your applications is a standard one, it will be processed as a standard, residency-based application. Although speaking from my own experience, I think that your marriage will be considered, but it will not be a major factor when making a decision. I have also been married to Irish citizen at the time of my application, but applied on the basis of residency and received my decision already.

I don't think that there's any point of informing them about it, since they already have your marriage certificate.

Dub23
Ireland

Re: Citizenship Applications - 5 Year Residence and 3 Year's Married to Irish Citizen

Post by Dub23 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Thanks Vorona, what you're saying makes sense.

I also got my FOI back this afternoon (I will post on the FOI topic later) and other than Garda Vetting in February 2021 nothing has been done on my application. There's not even any hand written notes in my file. :-) There is one page that looks like a screenshot from their system where the application records are stored and there is a column called High-level Status and the status agains my application is 'Application Awaiting Processing'. So to me it looks like nothing has been done.
Vorona wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 pm
Since your applications is a standard one, it will be processed as a standard, residency-based application. Although speaking from my own experience, I think that your marriage will be considered, but it will not be a major factor when making a decision. I have also been married to Irish citizen at the time of my application, but applied on the basis of residency and received my decision already.

I don't think that there's any point of informing them about it, since they already have your marriage certificate.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:38 pm

They don't give all data related to the application for some reason. I requested my file after receiving the decision, to see what has been done. There was no Garda report at all, and the copy of the referee's letter was missing (my friend was contacted to give a short reference about me). Just wait.