ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:38 pm

A hypothetical scenario (in my case is real) when someone becomes an Irish citizen, but can't get a passport due to current restrictions even if it's emergency (I spoke to an agent on web chat and they confirmed this). What happens is that the citizen can leave (theoretically) Ireland and use their another passport to travel to their home country, but they won't be able to return since they don't have any documentation proving that they can enter Ireland: no visa, no IRP card and no Irish passport.

Have someone worked this out, is it possible to at least get a reentry visa based on .. being an Irish citizen?

nojoyfrominis
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: First time passport application

Post by nojoyfrominis » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:01 pm

Yes you can get stamp 6 on your existing passport. That will allow you to renter Ireland. You can also travel with your naturalisation certificate. You should be fine in this case when you arrive in Ireland. But it is a bit risky as the airline may not allow you to board plane based on this.
So you should get stamp 6 to be safe

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:04 pm

In addition to be above, you are always free to apply for a re-entry visa before you leave, or apply for an entry visa from your local embassy. With your naturalisation certificate, both should be easy enough to do.

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks! Stamp 6 would help if I'd also get an IRP like residence card, otherwise, as you mentioned, airlines or even border check in another country may not let me leave and board the plane.

Am I eligible for a reentry visa though? I can email the department I guess. Applying for any other visa is impossible as Ireland also stopped processing any entry visas.

Bealtaine
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 pm
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Bealtaine » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:42 pm

phoenix49 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:38 pm
A hypothetical scenario (in my case is real) when someone becomes an Irish citizen, but can't get a passport due to current restrictions even if it's emergency (I spoke to an agent on web chat and they confirmed this).
Sorry- I don’t mean to sidetrack here but why cant a ‘new’ Irish citizenship avail a passport in an emergency?

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes you are qualified for a re-entry visa. This page has more details: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/vi ... ly-stamp-6

(You don’t need to have a Stamp 6 in your passport to apply for re-entry visa. You just need to prove that you are an Irish citizen by showing your naturalisation certificate.)

I don’t know if re-entry visa offices are open. You should check with them by email first before sending out any documents to them.

Btw, as @Bealtaine said, an emergency passport is still possible when there is a genuine emergency (I.e. terminal illness or death of an immediate family member). Anything other than that wouldn’t be classified as a genuine emergency.

Blessings123
Junior Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:19 pm
Pakistan

Re: First time passport application

Post by Blessings123 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Apply stamp6/stamp without condition on the basis of your certificate of naturalisation. Then once you get the stamp apply for reentry visa on that basis.
Don’t take a risk of travelling just on the basis of cert

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll wait till they announce updates about the restrictions, if they plan to keep them in place - I'll go with the Stamp 6 -> then a Reentry Visa route, given that the offices will be open.

Re getting a first time passport, I had a chat with an agent and it went along these lines:
Described the situation that I indeed require a travel document to travel in the next month or so

Unfortunately first time applications can not be expedited. The extra security and entitlement checks that are involved make it impossible to be done quickly. Hopefully we are back in the office on April 5th if the restrictions are reduced and we can start processing applications again.

I asked whether there's a way to perform this "slowly", and received:

It needs to be processed by an entitlement officer and currently, we have no access to the system so it means applications are suspended until we get back into the office.

So first timers don't get a passport.

Meryembou
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:36 pm
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Meryembou » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:56 pm

I am in the same both, I have a family emergency and I can t travel because they won't process the first time passport. I am going to contact the newspapers regarding this matter. However, it will really help if other people in the same situation make the same move.

Gvrff
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:30 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Gvrff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Any update?

avta
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by avta » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:27 pm

The re-entry visa department is working very well by post now.
It's really incredible speedy processing to get the visa back in 3-4 days.

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm

I was able to get a re-entry visa for my son in less than a week after posting, kudos to Re-Entry visa team! However I'm still waiting for my & my wife's passports to get a Stamp 6. The office received packs on April 15th and they mentioned that the process (a stamp in a passport) might take from 7 to 21 working days.

meli87
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:24 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by meli87 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 am

Just looked at passport online and there is an update saying they are scaling up operations. Is anyone sending their passport applications in now?

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 am

meli87 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 am
Just looked at passport online and there is an update saying they are scaling up operations. Is anyone sending their passport applications in now?
Passport services have resumed and they are expecting to have the backlog cleared within 1-2 months. If you don’t have any travel plan for the next 2-3 months, this is a good opportunity for you to apply for your passport now.

Stanina
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Stanina » Wed May 05, 2021 12:21 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 am
meli87 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 am
Just looked at passport online and there is an update saying they are scaling up operations. Is anyone sending their passport applications in now?
Passport services have resumed and they are expecting to have the backlog cleared within 1-2 months. If you don’t have any travel plan for the next 2-3 months, this is a good opportunity for you to apply for your passport now.
First time applications should be processed by the end of June it says on DFA Twitter account.

nojoyfrominis
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: First time passport application

Post by nojoyfrominis » Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 am

We applied for my wife’s first time passport online on 7th April but sent the documents last Friday after dail approved passport as essential service and services resumed. They are expecting to clear the backlog of around 100k applications in 6-8 weeks. We have no travel plans at all. So sent the documents last week and hopefully will receive passport within 8 weeks. If you have any plans, it may be better for holding for two months to allow clearing of this backlog and then apply. Normal turnaround time for first time passport was 20 working days prior to this

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 am

Just as an update in case if anyone plans to apply for a Stamp 6 - I received my passport back today so it took roughly 3 weeks to process a Stamp 6 application. Stamp 6 is valid till the expiration date of the passport - which is really good.

It's good to see that the Passport office resumed their operations, hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon!

FlyingMum
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:48 am

Re: First time passport application

Post by FlyingMum » Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 am

I applied for mine online in 23/12 but didn’t submit supporting documentation until mid April, as per advice on the site.

My progress bar on the live tracking link shows more than 3/4 full so, assuming it’s pretty accurate and reflective of headway, it shouldn’t be much longer. The estimated date of issue is 18/5.

Just out of curiosity, does the progress information update to provide detail of specific stages ie printing, checking etc

Many thanks.

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm

FlyingMum wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 am
Just out of curiosity, does the progress information update to provide detail of specific stages ie printing, checking etc
Yes it does. See this page for details. ireland/first-time-passport-application-t280538-20.html

Note that the dates on the progress bar isn't always accurate even in normal circumstances. Some people receive their passports a week early. Some people have to wait for two more weeks. It just gives you a rough estimate of the average time, but the actual processing time varies depending on the time of the year, number of applications in the backlog etc.
phoenix49 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 am
Just as an update in case if anyone plans to apply for a Stamp 6 - I received my passport back today so it took roughly 3 weeks to process a Stamp 6 application. Stamp 6 is valid till the expiration date of the passport - which is really good.

It's good to see that the Passport office resumed their operations, hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon!
It's important to point out that a Stamp 6 is good for non-visa required nationals only. Those people can use their foreign passport which has the Stamp 6 endorsed alone to enter the state. For visa-required nationals, this Stamp 6 offers zero help at all, as you will be required to apply for a re-entry visa (which should be free in this case) regardless of whether you have a Stamp 6 in your passport, if you decide to enter Ireland with your non-Irish passport.

INIS had been suggesting that they would issue an IRP card for Stamp 6 holders for quite a few years now, but nothing has been implemented so far.

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm
It's important to point out that a Stamp 6 is good for non-visa required nationals only. Those people can use their foreign passport which has the Stamp 6 endorsed alone to enter the state. For visa-required nationals, this Stamp 6 offers zero help at all, as you will be required to apply for a re-entry visa (which should be free in this case) regardless of whether you have a Stamp 6 in your passport, if you decide to enter Ireland with your non-Irish passport.

INIS had been suggesting that they would issue an IRP card for Stamp 6 holders for quite a few years now, but nothing has been implemented so far.
Well, I'm a Visa required national in Ireland and in order to get a Re-Entry Visa I need a Stamp 6 in my non-Irish passport. That was the main reason for applying for a Stamp 6, it helps a lot for people who needs to travel to their country of original nationality and who didn't have a chance or time to apply for their first Irish passport after naturalisation due to Covid restrictions and backlog.

klick02
Newly Registered
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by klick02 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:53 pm

So for visa required people - they already have a IRP card and a multi entry visa stamp on their current passport. The IRP card gets submitted back to INIS but, can the multientry visa stamp on the existing passport used to enter the state until their Irish passport is processed?

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm

klick02 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:53 pm
So for visa required people - they already have a IRP card and a multi entry visa stamp on their current passport. The IRP card gets submitted back to INIS but, can the multientry visa stamp on the existing passport used to enter the state until their Irish passport is processed?
You don't need to do anything as long as you have a valid visa that allows you to enter Ireland. That's the only thing that the airline needs. Once you arrive in Ireland, the immigration officer couldn't care less what passport or visa you hold, as long as you have a copy of your naturalisation certificate.
phoenix49 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Well, I'm a Visa required national in Ireland and in order to get a Re-Entry Visa I need a Stamp 6 in my non-Irish passport. That was the main reason for applying for a Stamp 6, it helps a lot for people who needs to travel to their country of original nationality and who didn't have a chance or time to apply for their first Irish passport after naturalisation due to Covid restrictions and backlog.
You DO NOT need a Stamp 6 to get a re-entry visa. You can apply for a re-entry visa right away when you receive the naturalisation certificate, which happens a lot when people just get naturalised and need to travel. A lot of people did it the same way before the lockdown started.

The only 'benefit' for having a Stamp 6 in this case is that when you enrol in Stamp 6, your details would have been input into the immigration system, so it's quicker for the visa officer to verify your details. But since the abolishment of the re-entry visas, the volume of re-entry visas has decreased drastically, and officers can usually deal with a visa application on the same day they receive the application, so it won't speed things up further now.

phoenix49
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by phoenix49 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm
You DO NOT need a Stamp 6 to get a re-entry visa. You can apply for a re-entry visa right away when you receive the naturalisation certificate, which happens a lot when people just get naturalised and need to travel. A lot of people did it the same way before the lockdown started.

The only 'benefit' for having a Stamp 6 in this case is that when you enrol in Stamp 6, your details would have been input into the immigration system, so it's quicker for the visa officer to verify your details. But since the abolishment of the re-entry visas, the volume of re-entry visas has decreased drastically, and officers can usually deal with a visa application on the same day they receive the application, so it won't speed things up further now.
Interesting, didn't know that, which form would you use to apply for a Re Entry Visa then? There only form for adults is the Stamp 6 one. I suppose one can use it and just provide a certificate of naturalisation?

littlerr
Diamond Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
China

Re: First time passport application

Post by littlerr » Fri May 07, 2021 9:49 am

Yes that’s right.

Taki
Junior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 am
Ireland

Re: First time passport application

Post by Taki » Sat May 08, 2021 7:10 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm
klick02 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:53 pm
So for visa required people - they already have a IRP card and a multi entry visa stamp on their current passport. The IRP card gets submitted back to INIS but, can the multientry visa stamp on the existing passport used to enter the state until their Irish passport is processed?
You don't need to do anything as long as you have a valid visa that allows you to enter Ireland. That's the only thing that the airline needs. Once you arrive in Ireland, the immigration officer couldn't care less what passport or visa you hold, as long as you have a copy of your naturalisation certificate.
phoenix49 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Well, I'm a Visa required national in Ireland and in order to get a Re-Entry Visa I need a Stamp 6 in my non-Irish passport. That was the main reason for applying for a Stamp 6, it helps a lot for people who needs to travel to their country of original nationality and who didn't have a chance or time to apply for their first Irish passport after naturalisation due to Covid restrictions and backlog.
You DO NOT need a Stamp 6 to get a re-entry visa. You can apply for a re-entry visa right away when you receive the naturalisation certificate, which happens a lot when people just get naturalised and need to travel. A lot of people did it the same way before the lockdown started.

The only 'benefit' for having a Stamp 6 in this case is that when you enrol in Stamp 6, your details would have been input into the immigration system, so it's quicker for the visa officer to verify your details. But since the abolishment of the re-entry visas, the volume of re-entry visas has decreased drastically, and officers can usually deal with a visa application on the same day they receive the application, so it won't speed things up further now.
But how much time they are going to take, to issue first time passport now a days? If they issue first time passport within 3-6 weeks, I think there should be no issue with the exception of emergency.

Post Reply
cron