ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
Dodi412
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by Dodi412 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 pm

Akeel wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding JR. Has anyone applied for it and got nothing after? Solicitor said it can take up to 6 weeks but is it guaranteed they will give a decision?


Thanks guys :)
Hi I got my decision through judicial review on 6 April 2021....my solicitor lodge judicial review on 22 March 2021 and I got decision on 6th April....


Nice one. Congratulations! Thanks for replying.
Did the solicitor give them a 2 weeks notice before lodging the JR? i.e is the notice needed/useful?

Akeel
Newly Registered
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 pm
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by Akeel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am

irishman003 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:45 pm
Akeel wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding JR. Has anyone applied for it and got nothing after? Solicitor said it can take up to 6 weeks but is it guaranteed they will give a decision?


Thanks guys :)
Hi I got my decision through judicial review on 6 April 2021....my solicitor lodge judicial review on 22 March 2021 and I got decision on 6th April....

That's great, congrats!! Would you mind telling me how much you spent?
Thank you...its cost me 1800 euro

Akeel
Newly Registered
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 pm
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by Akeel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:28 am

Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 pm
Akeel wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding JR. Has anyone applied for it and got nothing after? Solicitor said it can take up to 6 weeks but is it guaranteed they will give a decision?


Thanks guys :)
Hi I got my decision through judicial review on 6 April 2021....my solicitor lodge judicial review on 22 March 2021 and I got decision on 6th April....


Nice one. Congratulations! Thanks for replying.
Did the solicitor give them a 2 weeks notice before lodging the JR? i.e is the notice needed/useful?
Thank you...yes he gave 2 weeks notice but department didn't reply so after that he lodge jr on 22 March and I got approval on 6th April....one thing my solicitor told me only those people have to go for Judicial review who are waiting 2 years or more then 2 years. Best of luck you all

wattm
Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by wattm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Akeel wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:28 am
Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 pm
Akeel wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Dodi412 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm
I have a question regarding JR. Has anyone applied for it and got nothing after? Solicitor said it can take up to 6 weeks but is it guaranteed they will give a decision?


Thanks guys :)
Hi I got my decision through judicial review on 6 April 2021....my solicitor lodge judicial review on 22 March 2021 and I got decision on 6th April....


Nice one. Congratulations! Thanks for replying.
Did the solicitor give them a 2 weeks notice before lodging the JR? i.e is the notice needed/useful?
Thank you...yes he gave 2 weeks notice but department didn't reply so after that he lodge jr on 22 March and I got approval on 6th April....one thing my solicitor told me only those people have to go for Judicial review who are waiting 2 years or more then 2 years. Best of luck you all
If you don't mind, may I ask the name/website of your solicitor?

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 79145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:37 pm

wattm wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm
If you don't mind, may I ask the name/website of your solicitor?
Do not ask for such information. Members are not permitted to post the names and details of solicitors or advisors on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

polarcub
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by polarcub » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 am

For an FOI:

E-mail: foi@justice.ie
Fill out this form: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/FOI%20App ... 20Form.pdf

And sed in a copy of you ID with the email.

Rude555
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 pm
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by Rude555 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm

polarcub wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 am
For an FOI:

E-mail: foi@justice.ie
Fill out this form: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/FOI%20App ... 20Form.pdf

And sed in a copy of you ID with the email.
Thank you so much...

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm

pluto1992 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm
I had applied to get a copy of my record under FOI Act. I applied on 15th Feb. I was supposed to get my record by 15th March. Instead I had got a letter stating this:

"Time Extension
The Deciding Officer assigned to process your request has requested a time extension
of four weeks to process this request. Under Section 14 of the FOI Act, a deciding
officer may extend the standard four week period in which to answer a request."


Even FOI request is delayed :roll:
Got my record back through FOI, No action on my application in the last 18 months. And all that time they were sending me email replies of "advanced stage of processing" ... "being prepared to be submitted to the minister". These are all lies. Nothing is being done on your application and you are being told of these imaginary stages. I thought the contempt that I have for these people can not be topped ... well I was wrong. The absolute disgust I have for them now has gone through the roof.

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm

pluto1992 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm
pluto1992 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm
I had applied to get a copy of my record under FOI Act. I applied on 15th Feb. I was supposed to get my record by 15th March. Instead I had got a letter stating this:

"Time Extension
The Deciding Officer assigned to process your request has requested a time extension
of four weeks to process this request. Under Section 14 of the FOI Act, a deciding
officer may extend the standard four week period in which to answer a request."


Even FOI request is delayed :roll:
Got my record back through FOI, No action on my application in the last 18 months. And all that time they were sending me email replies of "advanced stage of processing" ... "being prepared to be submitted to the minister". These are all lies. Nothing is being done on your application and you are being told of these imaginary stages. I thought the contempt that I have for these people can not be topped ... well I was wrong. The absolute disgust I have for them now has gone through the roof.
Wow unbelievable.. What you gonna do now? JR or what?

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 am

johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Wow unbelievable.. What you gonna do now? JR or what?
Yes, I have started JR proceedings. No other option. Its going to cost me but I now understand that it is the only way for me to get a decision.

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 am

pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Wow unbelievable.. What you gonna do now? JR or what?
Yes, I have started JR proceedings. No other option. Its going to cost me but I now understand that it is the only way for me to get a decision.

When did you apply?

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am

johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am

pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?

irishman003
Junior Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:46 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by irishman003 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 am

johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?
He said 18 months no action through FOI, and I think the minimum time is 2 years until you can apply for JR,

polarcub
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by polarcub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am

The JR proceedings are apparently clearing up really quickly now - 1-2 weeks people are getting a decision once JR paperwork filed.

The judge handling these cases is not happy that these naturalisation cases are clogging her court room, and that's apparently good as she's in favour of approving these cases and it puts pressure on the department to get their act together.

The judge apparently doesn't want to see/grant a JR unless you've been waiting a min 24-26 months - remember if you do a JR and the judge says "oh well you've not been waiting long enough" that means you have to pay court fees. In terms of the 2 year "rule", it's not a hard rule, it's just become the norm. It's all relative, as there are so many people doing JRs and have been waiting a very very very long time. So that's made a 2 year wait seem like the norm for a JR.

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am

irishman003 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?
He said 18 months no action through FOI, and I think the minimum time is 2 years until you can apply for JR,
Ok. Now I understand.
Last edited by johnpromise01 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am

polarcub wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am
The JR proceedings are apparently clearing up really quickly now - 1-2 weeks people are getting a decision once JR paperwork filed.

The judge handling these cases is not happy that these naturalisation cases are clogging her court room, and that's apparently good as she's in favour of approving these cases and it puts pressure on the department to get their act together.

The judge apparently doesn't want to see/grant a JR unless you've been waiting a min 24-26 months - remember if you do a JR and the judge says "oh well you've not been waiting long enough" that means you have to pay court fees. In terms of the 2 year "rule", it's not a hard rule, it's just become the norm. It's all relative, as there are so many people doing JRs and have been waiting a very very very long time. So that's made a 2 year wait seem like the norm for a JR.
Thanks for this. Very helpful.

polarcub
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by polarcub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 pm

In terms of finding a lawyer, whilst you can't say the name of the lawyer here, here is some guidance on how to find a lawyer:

1. Google something like "Dublin Immigration Solicitor"
2. Look at the google reviews of the firms and read through it.
3. Call/email a handful of them, to see their pricing. You want to know how much the whole thing will cost you (initial consult+2 letters to the department+JR+court fees (which are about 350))
4. Select the firm you feel more comfortable with - who has experience with these cases, they know what to expect, how many cases have they won, are they just trying to get money out of you or they want to make sure you get a resolution. Also consider picking the law firm you'll go all the way to a JR with (i.e. can afford their fees). You should be able to find a price around 900-1300 for the whole thing (everything i mentioned above consult, letters, etc).

polarcub
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:20 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by polarcub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Sadly it seems like (i suspect) why the department have been saying they are prioritizing the cases waiting for 2 years or more --- there are so many people going via JR, it's become costly for them, and sadly it seems to be the way to secure a decision.
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am
polarcub wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am
The JR proceedings are apparently clearing up really quickly now - 1-2 weeks people are getting a decision once JR paperwork filed.

The judge handling these cases is not happy that these naturalisation cases are clogging her court room, and that's apparently good as she's in favour of approving these cases and it puts pressure on the department to get their act together.

The judge apparently doesn't want to see/grant a JR unless you've been waiting a min 24-26 months - remember if you do a JR and the judge says "oh well you've not been waiting long enough" that means you have to pay court fees. In terms of the 2 year "rule", it's not a hard rule, it's just become the norm. It's all relative, as there are so many people doing JRs and have been waiting a very very very long time. So that's made a 2 year wait seem like the norm for a JR.
Thanks for this. Very helpful.

johnpromise01
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm

polarcub wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm
Sadly it seems like (i suspect) why the department have been saying they are prioritizing the cases waiting for 2 years or more --- there are so many people going via JR, it's become costly for them, and sadly it seems to be the way to secure a decision.
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am
polarcub wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am
The JR proceedings are apparently clearing up really quickly now - 1-2 weeks people are getting a decision once JR paperwork filed.

The judge handling these cases is not happy that these naturalisation cases are clogging her court room, and that's apparently good as she's in favour of approving these cases and it puts pressure on the department to get their act together.

The judge apparently doesn't want to see/grant a JR unless you've been waiting a min 24-26 months - remember if you do a JR and the judge says "oh well you've not been waiting long enough" that means you have to pay court fees. In terms of the 2 year "rule", it's not a hard rule, it's just become the norm. It's all relative, as there are so many people doing JRs and have been waiting a very very very long time. So that's made a 2 year wait seem like the norm for a JR.
Thanks for this. Very helpful.
And then the JR processing time to get decision will take another 6 month based on what I read on this forum, is that correct?

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm

johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?
Oh sorry ... I had applied in April 2018. I received Stage 2 letter in May 2018. Non-EU Stamp 1 Stamp 4 ... not even a parking ticket. Clean record. For the last 18 months there has been no activity on my application. The last activity was a repeat of a Garda vetting report.

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm

pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 am
johnpromise01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
When did you apply?
I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?
Oh sorry ... I had applied in April 2018. I received Stage 2 letter in May 2018. Non-EU Stamp 1 Stamp 4 ... not even a parking ticket. Clean record. For the last 18 months there has been no activity on my application. The last activity 18 months ago was a repeat of a Garda vetting report.

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm

pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am

I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm

pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm
pluto1992 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm
johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am

I have asked my solicitor to proceed with JR yesterday
I mean when did you apply for citizenship?
Oh sorry ... I had applied in April 2018. I received Stage 2 letter in May 2018. Non-EU Stamp 1 Stamp 4 ... not even a parking ticket. Clean record. For the last 18 months there has been no activity on my application. The last activity 18 months ago was a repeat of a Garda vetting report.

pluto1992
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Ireland

Re: Citizenship delays: FOI and an application for an Order for Mandamus via the High Courts

Post by pluto1992 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm

Has anyone here contacted the office of the Ombudsman for the delay in decision? The reason why I ask is I want to throw the Spam sink at them.

Post Reply
cron