ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Info about non EU driving liscence

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chapli
Newly Registered
Ireland

Info about non EU driving liscence

Post by Chapli » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Hello. Hope you all are well.
I need some information. I have applied for eu 1 form. My wife is british national and excercising EU treatu rights. I have pakistani national driving liscence. Can i buy a car and drive for upto 12 months on this liscence.
Regards

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Info about non EU driving liscence

Post by littlerr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:42 am

Legally, only temporary visitors can use their foreign driving licence in Ireland for up to 12 months from the date of their arrival. You are here to take up long term residency, so you do not fall into this category.

Then on the more practical side, Garda probably won’t check your passport, and you can buy and register a car, but you won’t be able to insure yourself. No insurance company would insure a non-EU driving licence holder, and driving without insurance is simply a big big big NO. You won’t want to get into any trouble with Garda, especially before your application is approved.

Just let your British spouse do all the driving, or use public transport. Meanwhile, do all the preparations - apply for a PPS number, prepare for your theory test, get theory test done as soon as the Coronavirus is over. Then you can drive under supervision. Take your EDT lessons and book your the driving test.