ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

recently applied for Irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pal80uk
Ireland

recently applied for Irish citizenship

Post by pal80uk » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:22 pm

Hi all, I recently applied for Irish citizenship (Nov 2022), as British national living here for over 6yrs.

I was recently told by my company their Irish operations will come to an end soon so they are offering me positions outside Ireland. I have couple of questions regarding this:
1) fact that ihv already applied for citizenship, can I freely work abroad or 6 weeks absence rule still apply to me until I get the citizenship?
2) if I work outside Ireland, but request my company to keep me on Ireland payroll so I continue to pay taxes here and be tax resident, will that get me exemption from 6 week absence rule.

Can I be exempt from 6 weeks absence rule for all work related absences?

I was told there is option of hybrid working, so just want to understand if I do that, would that negatively impact on my citizenship application?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Outside of Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:02 pm

pal80uk wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:22 pm
Hi all, I recently applied for Irish citizenship (Nov 2022), as British national living here for over 6yrs.

I was recently told by my company their Irish operations will come to an end soon so they are offering me positions outside Ireland. I have couple of questions regarding this:
1) fact that ihv already applied for citizenship, can I freely work abroad or 6 weeks absence rule still apply to me until I get the citizenship?
2) if I work outside Ireland, but request my company to keep me on Ireland payroll so I continue to pay taxes here and be tax resident, will that get me exemption from 6 week absence rule.

Can I be exempt from 6 weeks absence rule for all work related absences?

I was told there is option of hybrid working, so just want to understand if I do that, would that negatively impact on my citizenship application?
First of all, please don't tag questions on others' topics - create your own.

6 weeks rule exists for applicants as well, but slightly changed - it doesn't disqualify you, but you have to notify ISD.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... alisation/
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
They will consider your explanation and do whatever they consider right, I reckon.
You answered yes on 6.1 ("Do you intend, following naturalisation, to have your usual or principal place of residence in the State?"), so your actions contradicting with your intentions might not be nice.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

pal80uk
Ireland

Re: recently applied for Irish citizenship

Post by pal80uk » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:34 am

Ok thanks, will do.