ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a driving license, without a visa in Passport

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wiggsy

Applying for a driving license, without a visa in Passport

Post by wiggsy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 am

Hi guys,

I've decided im gonna sort out my wife's driving license, and her get on the road ETC.

I just want to be sure of the following before sending off her passport:

My wife has no formal documents of residency in this country (She has a Certificate of Application - [refused application that is in appeal stages]).

When we post the Driving License application, are the DVLA likely to "Seize" her passport and send it to the Home Office? WE had a game getting her expired passport back, so don't fancy going through the process again (she now has a valid passport).

We went to the DVLA office in Birmingham, but her passport photo wasnt signed correctly for the license, so they told us she needs to get it signed by somebody. But they mentioned the lack of a visa in her passport - to which I stated to them "She's here under EU law and she has no mandatory obligation to apply for a derivative residence card" and they said "Oh, that'll be looked into by the team in Swansea"...

Anybody got any feedback etc on this?
For anybody effected, I hope that my Surinder Singh Route Information Pages help.

alisworld_707
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for a driving license, without a visa in Passpo

Post by alisworld_707 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi,
did you manage to sort out the liscence problem? As I might be facing some similar situation. So please let me know what you did.

Casa

Re: Applying for a driving license, without a visa in Passpo

Post by Casa » Sun May 31, 2015 4:19 pm

This thread is almost 2 years old. If you don't currently have legal status in the UK It may be wise to read through the link below:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... cences.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.