ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

query - for currency

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ashu.doc
- thin ice -

query - for currency

Post by ashu.doc » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 pm

How much of UK currency can be carried in cash during travel from India?

mt_dilber

Re: query - for currency

Post by mt_dilber » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Call Customs department of ur country. I will prefer not to bring more than £500 in cash, rest should be in the form of Banker's draft.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 pm

As much as you want I suppose but you have to declare it if there's more than 10k.
I tell it like it is.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:28 pm

A quick check and it's still any amount less than $10k - you can carry more but you have to declare it coz if you are caught, the amount can be seized and you will be fined.

Given you are travelling from India, no matter which airport it is, airport and customs officials try to scare you and get something off you - it's a long standing tradition in India and a very very well known practise followed even today.

Be ready to stand your ground, tell them you know the rules and they dont bother you more. They just wait for youngsters, elderly people and mainly those from the Middle East as many are quite poor/simple/dont know much to pressurize/scare them and take money off them - so just be firm, tell them to show the rules and ask for a Senior officer if they pester you too much. Trust me - if they know you are on to them they just let you go

KP