ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After surrendering Indian Passport, what ID's you retain?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sojan

After surrendering Indian Passport, what ID's you retain?

Post by sojan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 am

Friends,
Just thought of getting your inputs about various Identification documents , you plan to have after surrendering Indian passport. (and their validity). I Don't know if they can be used technically, but should be Ok for day-to-day life in India (like opening bank account, Address Proof in India etc)

I've got
1. PAN card
2. Voters ID card

Any other ID cards you plan to get or have already?
Last edited by sojan on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 am

If you renounce indian citizenship and surrender the passport you also lose voting rights - voter id card needs to be returned.

PAN should remain valid

For any identification purpose in India OCI or PIO booklet will normally suffice. However British passport will be primary identification document.

sojan

Post by sojan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:45 pm

ban.s wrote:If you renounce indian citizenship and surrender the passport you also lose voting rights - voter id card needs to be returned.

PAN should remain valid

For any identification purpose in India OCI or PIO booklet will normally suffice. However British passport will be primary identification document.
hi ban.s, thanks for your input.

Now everyone wants Adhaar it seems, but would be hard for OCI to get.
Waiting for Inputs from others about other ID's which they use for day-to-day activities

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:41 pm

at the moment Aadhar is not mandatory to avail govt services as the rollout is still underway. all indian residents are eligible for Aadhar id irrespective of their nationalities so if you relocate there then you can apply for one.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 am

sojan wrote:Hi Guys,
Sorry for creating separate thread as my query in the main thread didn't get any answers.

I have sent my BP via Royal Mail SD to London HCI. But its >2 weeks and have no clue what happened to the collection application.

How would you track the collection of OCI by post?

I have seen some of you guys have put "receipt" by HCI etc.. Where could we get this?
NO1UKlover wrote:As far as I remember there is no way to check your collection status online. You need to email or call high commission/local consulate to know the status. I would always recommed people to walk-in for OCI collection. It is a 1 day work, but worth it!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.