ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering India with passport expiring in 4 months

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ashishguk
Newly Registered

Entering India with passport expiring in 4 months

Post by ashishguk » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:03 am

Hi All,

My son's passport is expiring in Apr 2022 and he holds UK passport with OCI.
He needs to travel to India for 10 days and will return to UK in Dec 2021.
The options are,
1. Get a new UK passport in one week - This will require OCI to be reissued which is not possible in the given timelines. For children, new passport means new OCI.
2. Get a new UK passport and evisa - Evisa is currently not available for UK citizens.
3. Travel with passport which expires in Apr 2022 - Immigration problems due to less than 6 months validity.

Can you please help me as this is bit crucial for us?

Regards,
Ashish

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Entering India with passport expiring in 4 months

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:22 am

ashishguk wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:03 am
Hi All,

The options are,
1. Get a new UK passport in one week - This will require OCI to be reissued which is not possible in the given timelines. For children, new passport means new OCI. not anymore, you have to simply update the details https://ociservices.gov.in/capchaActionMisc
2. Get a new UK passport and evisa - Evisa is currently not available for UK citizens.might start again from 15th nov
3. Travel with passport which expires in Apr 2022 - Immigration problems due to less than 6 months validity.I travelled to India in Dec 20-Feb 21 with my daughters passport expiring in May21, that too after getting entry visa in Nov 20 without any issues,

Regards,
Ashish
usually passport expiry is an issue when applying for a visa not when you already have it. You can travel without any issues.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am

ashishguk wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:03 am
Hi All,

The options are,
1. Get a new UK passport in one week - This will require OCI to be reissued which is not possible in the given timelines. For children, new passport means new OCI.
2. Get a new UK passport and evisa - Evisa is currently not available for UK citizens.
3. Travel with passport which expires in Apr 2022 - Immigration problems due to less than 6 months validity.

Regards,
Ashish
Hi

As per https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements you need to have a minimum of 6 months validity on foreign passport to enter India. But I couldn't find any info in this regard on the https://boi.gov.in/content/requirements ... ners-india

As far as I know, you cannot apply for visas to India when you have OCI. You have to surrender OCI to be able to apply for any visa to India. You can get a new UK passport through expedited process (tatkal) and travel without any issues. As rightly mentioned by dontringthebell you don't need a new OCI card. Just upload a photo and new passport details on the website mentioned and you should be good to go.

Thanks

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:40 am

Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

ashishguk
Newly Registered

Post by ashishguk » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 am

Hi dontringthebell and rainbowbutterfly,

I do not have enough words to thank you both.
This is such a brilliant advice backed by authentic links. I am very very thankful to you guys.