ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

India Travel before OCI - Urgent

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lp281
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

India Travel before OCI - Urgent

Post by lp281 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:09 pm

Hi

I am looking for an urgent advise please.

I have received my British passport yesterday and my Indian passport will be returned soon. I have below questions:

1. Can I apply OCI before surrendering Indian passport?
2. I need to travel to India on an urgent basis so how can I do that without an OCI?
3. Is there any Tatkal (fast track emergency) service for getting OCI in 2 days? I did not find anything in HCI London website or OCI application website.

Many thanks in advance.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: India Travel before OCI - Urgent

Post by Ticktack » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:17 pm

lp281 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:09 pm
Hi

I have received my British passport yesterday and my Indian passport will be returned soon. I have below questions:

2. I need to travel to India on an urgent basis so how can I do that without an OCI?
3. Is there any Tatkal (fast track emergency) service for getting OCI in 2 days? I did not find anything in HCI London website or OCI application website.

Many thanks in advance.
I might be wrong, but aren't those questions for your Indian embassy? The British immigration system don't care what passport you fly with.

If you have any problems at all, it would be in India.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

dhparikh07
Newly Registered
India

Post by dhparikh07 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:58 pm

lp281 wrote:
Hi

Many thanks in advance.
1 - Cannot apply for OCI without surrender certificate. Surrender certificate does come quickly (1week)
2 - If travelling within 3 months of acquisition of foreign citizenship, you could use your Indian passport. If staying longer in India, then you could surrender and apply OCI in India, but timescales may be longer/unknown for processing
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/
3 - There isn't any and currently it is taking about 7-8 weeks. However, there is a emergency visa available that could be used instead of above options. HCI website should provide the details for same.

Hope it helps.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:22 pm

dhparikh07 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:58 pm
lp281 wrote:
Hi

Many thanks in advance.
1 - Cannot apply for OCI without surrender certificate. Surrender certificate does come quickly (1week)
2 - If travelling within 3 months of acquisition of foreign citizenship, you could use your Indian passport. If staying longer in India, then you could surrender and apply OCI in India, but timescales may be longer/unknown for processing
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/
3 - There isn't any and currently it is taking about 7-8 weeks. However, there is a emergency visa available that could be used instead of above options. HCI website should provide the details for same.

Hope it helps.
watch out for 2 above, Indian passport can't be used anymore as OP has British passport;
But the grace period is not applicable once the British/Foreign Passport is acquired, he/she should travel only on the British/Foreign passport once the same is obtained even if he/she is within the grace period of three months.
You can try emailing HCI (see this thread - other-countries/indian-visa-for-minor-n ... 23082.html), but highly doubt you can make something happen in two days, unfortunately.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:53 pm

You may read my positive experience here. other-countries/positive-experience-wit ... 33867.html

Managed to apply surrender certificate and Indian tourist visa concurrently. They said it just takes one week for the visa to be delivered to home address. Travel is in less than 2 weeks.

lad 14
Wales

Post by lad 14 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Go to India using indian Passport, and return with UK passport. You may have to pay a penalty of around £150 when you surrender Indian passport