ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to India with a minor child who has a British Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mumofmini

Travelling to India with a minor child who has a British Passport

Post by mumofmini » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 pm

Hello all

I am wondering if someone can guide me. We have applied for our childrens' first British passports and are hoping to get them in the next few weeks. The parents, we, still are Indian citizens and hold valid Indian passports.

I know that the situation right now is making it impossible for any travel but if and when it is possible in the near future, can we travel to India with our children [They will still have their Indian passports] without having visa or OCI?

I am reading this forum and it appears there is a "grace" period within which someone could use Indian passport to travel before it becomes illegal (carries fine) and must surrender the Indian passport.

Is this true or should we plan for travels ONLY after the children surrender Indian passports and acquire visas/OCI?

Thanks

Ann19
Newly Registered
India

Re: Travelling to India with a minor child who has a British Passport

Post by Ann19 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 am

We are in similar situation and desperate to travel to India. Does anyone have any idea when it will be possible to travel to India again?

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Travelling to India with a minor child who has a British Passport

Post by mesn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 pm

mumofmini wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 pm
Hello all

I am wondering if someone can guide me. We have applied for our childrens' first British passports and are hoping to get them in the next few weeks. The parents, we, still are Indian citizens and hold valid Indian passports.

I know that the situation right now is making it impossible for any travel but if and when it is possible in the near future, can we travel to India with our children [They will still have their Indian passports] without having visa or OCI?

I am reading this forum and it appears there is a "grace" period within which someone could use Indian passport to travel before it becomes illegal (carries fine) and must surrender the Indian passport.

Is this true or should we plan for travels ONLY after the children surrender Indian passports and acquire visas/OCI?

Thanks
The grace period is for us to book an appointment to surrender the Indian passport. The 90 day window starts from the day you received the NAturalization certificate. Once you get a Foreign PAssport, you are not allowed to use your Indian passport to travel.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022