ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application confusion

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bagadbilla
Newly Registered

OCI application confusion

Post by bagadbilla » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:56 am

Hello Friends

I am applying for OCI for myself and my 10 month old daughter. I have a confusion regarding conflicting statements that I just came across on the website and form-A, form-B instructions at the end.

The https://www.hcilondon.in/ website states -> “Please submit only one set of the application”,

whereas when I filled in part-A and part-B and the instruction for filling that came at the end of part-B states at point 11 that -> “This form when completed should be submitted in duplicate (both sets must have original photographs and signatures along with enclosures).

My queries are

* What is correct ?
one set (with an extra photograph given) or two sets with photographs on both.
* Also do my wife (who is an Indian citizen with ILR and not applying along with us) need to sign in the minor declaration section for the daughter at the end of part-B or my signature is sufficient.
* Do I need to send cancelled Indian Passport photocopy.
* Do I need to send any detailed letter along with the application as it states that ->
“If you are sending more than one application, please send one detailed letter with details of the applications (with amount and GBRLN numbers) OR me and my daughters application is treated as one single Family application.

I will really appreciate if anyone can please clarify my doubts …

Also I will appreciate if someone can please quickly scan my document checklist to send (I will be sending by post)

myself
======
1) printed form-A and form-B and signed at the respective places.
2) self attested photocopy of my british passport (photo page)
3) self attested photocopy of my surrender certificate + original
4) self attested photocopy of my naturalisation certificate + original
5) 1 extra photograph in case one application set is to be submitted
6) postal order of £175 in the name of "High Commission of India, London"

daughter
========
1) printed form-A with right thumb impression taken.

I guess I will be doing all self-attestations …
2) self attested photocopy of my daughters british passport (photo page)
3) self attested photocopy of my daughters full version birth certificate + original
4) 1 extra photograph of my daughter in case one application set is to be submitted
5) postal order of £175 in the name of "High Commission of India, London"

extra
=====
6) self-addressed and duly stamped envelope for return of originals

Thanks a lot in advance

man4uni

Re: OCI application confusion

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:26 am

1. You have to complete the Part A and B for both (yourself and daughter).
2. One set of each with 2 pictures of each applicant.
3. Yes. Both you and your wife have to sign Part B
4. Yes. Send all the Passport (current and cancelled/expired) copies
5. It would be considered as 1 single application however just to cya send a covering letter with the subject - Application for OCI for Your Name and Your daughter's name

Just to confirm I believe you are sending by post. is this right?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am

Copieds of cancelled/expired Indian passports are not required. Surrender certificate supersedes cancelled passport.

bagadbilla
Newly Registered

Post by bagadbilla » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

man4uni wrote:1. You have to complete the Part A and B for both (yourself and daughter).
2. One set of each with 2 pictures of each applicant.
3. Yes. Both you and your wife have to sign Part B
4. Yes. Send all the Passport (current and cancelled/expired) copies
5. It would be considered as 1 single application however just to cya send a covering letter with the subject - Application for OCI for Your Name and Your daughter's name

Just to confirm I believe you are sending by post. is this right?
1. Since online generated separate part-A for both of us and a common part-B, does it literally means I need to duplicate part-B for me and my daughter separately and on last page in section 36, I again put a thumb impression for my daughter and attest the **application for minor**. This is pretty perplexing ..

Does it also mean my daughter puts her thumb impression for her own self-attesting or I can self-attest her photocopies ...

2. For photos it then really means I affix one on form-A for each of us and send the other as separately

Thanks I will send a covering letter ...

As ban.s just said. I re-checked, I have a feeling a surrender certificate should suffice ...

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Has the form been changed recently?

If I am not mistaken the last section is 34.

For cancelled passports - I have submitted my OCI application in person. I still remember the lady at the counter have asked me to get the copies of the cancelled passport (May be because I had valid visas on it. May be!)

bagadbilla
Newly Registered

Post by bagadbilla » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:08 pm

man4uni wrote:Has the form been changed recently?

If I am not mistaken the last section is 34.

For cancelled passports - I have submitted my OCI application in person. I still remember the lady at the counter have asked me to get the copies of the cancelled passport (May be because I had valid visas on it. May be!)

Section 34 is "Family members in india", 35 is "Criminal Proceedings" and 36 is the declaration followed by parent signing on behalf of the child ...

I will attach the cancelled passport (first and last page). It will nto do any harm indeed ...

Can I please ask how do I establish the link between my daughter (Who is British by Birth) and Me (Naturalised). My wife is on ILR at the moment and will naturalise->oci later ... I have the following in mind ...

Child Full UK Birth certificate -> my cancelled passport (first and last page) + surrender certificate -> marriage certificate (which will also link to mother).

Is there any need to also provide with mothers Indian Passport ?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to get it right with maximum probability as I am applying by post and it will save me lot of time if things are correct ...

Many Thanks

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Your best bet is to send as many documents you can and not take any chance. Your case it bit rare and hence only someone who has been in your shoes recently can confidently guide you.

You have already decided to send cancelled passports which is definitely not required. Another extra of your wifes passport wont harm. Logic says it is not required as your daughters eligibility is derived from your eligibility to OCI and your wifes status is irrelevant but you never know HCI. there may be a rule that they need to be sure that the mother is not from Pakistan or Bangladesh and then this will be important.

bagadbilla
Newly Registered

Post by bagadbilla » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

akash08 wrote:Your best bet is to send as many documents you can and not take any chance. Your case it bit rare and hence only someone who has been in your shoes recently can confidently guide you.

You have already decided to send cancelled passports which is definitely not required. Another extra of your wifes passport wont harm. Logic says it is not required as your daughters eligibility is derived from your eligibility to OCI and your wifes status is irrelevant but you never know HCI. there may be a rule that they need to be sure that the mother is not from Pakistan or Bangladesh and then this will be important.
Thanks akash08. I know what you mean. I have not found many with a nearly similar situation. Anyways I agree to you that I do not need to send my cancelled passport and wifes passport indeed, but I have made the following list as I intend to post by tomorrow max.

Supporting documents for myself

- Print of form-A, duly signed and photo affixed.
- Self attested photocopy of the photo page of the British Passport.
- Original and self attested photocopy of the “Certificate of Naturalisation”.
- Original and self attested photocopy of the “Surrender Certificate of Indian Passsport”.
- 1 extra photograph.
- Postal Order for £175 with GBRLN number written on back.

Supporting documents for daughter

- Print of form-A, with right thumb impression and photo affixed.
- Photocopy of the photo page of the British Passport (Attested by me)
- Original and photocopy of the “Full version Birth Certificate” (Attested by me).
- “Surrender Certificate of Fathers Indian Passport” already attached to show the Indian origin proof of father.
- Photocopy of the front and last page of the cancelled passport of father. (Attested by me)
- Photocopy of the front and last page of the valid passport of mother. (Attested by me)
- 1 extra photograph.
- Postal Order for £175 with GBRLN number written on back.

Other Documents

- Single print for common part-B of the application, duly signed by father in section 36 and by both parents in **Application for Minor(s)** section.
- Self addressed and duly stamped special delivery envelope for return of original documents.

I am still not sure about wife passport, but will decide soon ... and not sure either if she should attest or my attestation is sufficient. I hope all this should suffice without any glitch ...

I really hoped information was more clearer for OCI applicants from HCI etc ... , so rather than relying on luck for it to pass, it could work with a bit more certainty.

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Do you have to send the original Naturalization certs? If you are sending by post?

I would advise you to take a day off if possible and submit the docs in-person, bcoz of the incompetent staff at HCI. Again, this is just my opinion.

I have done mine in-person and they just check your Naturalization & Surrender Certificate however take the copies.

You won't believe that the lady at the counter didn't even check my original Naturalization cert. :D

batuk
Newly Registered

Post by batuk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 am

I have friend born in Kenya, his late father born at Rajkot (india) Mother born at Zanzibar, he is trying to prove his Indian
Origin, but fruitless. His Sisters one in Mombasa and other at Rajkot , who stays with her Mother obtained oci on the
basis of one of the parents, viz his father, who is no more. He had british passport mentioning his birth Place: Rajkot, India.
In India the foreign registration office does not ask for domicile, nativity and such other documents, My friend is in London
who submitted, a) his Dad and Mums Indian Voters,Card, Copy of Ration Card, his fathers Death Certificate, He also submitted
Mothers Legitimate permit for staying in India, which is signed by Dy.Police C.ommissioner, Rajkot. Despite of these doucments,
which proves his Indian Origin, they ask for Mothers Oci....Fail to understand this, She is british Citizen staying In India with her
legitimate rights and permission from the Govt.of India, She has domiciled for long with the family at Rajkot. Is there further proof required to prove my friends Indian Origin. But the lady at counter ask for mums oci... which she has not , and is not necessary I feel. What I think personally that they do not sometime check the filled in form properly and documents thereof, which would go to prove once Indian Origin. They just catch one one word, from leaflet/rules ,, "copy of Oci, copy of Indian Passport, Domicile Certificate,notory affidavit etc ,Nativity Certificate." While in India Foreign Registration office, look at the points, and if convinced they would give oci. but here in uk the case is different, Many of the genuine and legitimate applications have been turned down, and whenever we ask them for clarification on email,many a time, we do not get reply. Sometimes even at counter they would say look at the webpage.Can some responsible person look into the case and resolve this issue. Are the rules different for India and Uk or other countries, only I think in uk, they want to have domicile certificate, nativitiy certificate, in absence of understanding and agreeing to the genuine applications for oci based on supporting documents.

batuk
Newly Registered

Post by batuk » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:25 am

hci takes only one copy of oci applications,

for Minor, below her/his photo she has to either sign or left hand thumb impression as signature. (see instructions)

The lower bottom of the form,,,, both the parents of the child should sign.

-batuk

batuk
Newly Registered

Post by batuk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:34 am

batuk wrote:I have friend born in Kenya, his late father born at Rajkot (india) Mother born at Zanzibar, he is trying to prove his Indian
Origin, but fruitless. His Sisters one in Mombasa and other at Rajkot , who stays with her Mother obtained oci on the
basis of one of the parents, viz his father, who is no more. He had british passport mentioning his birth Place: Rajkot, India.
In India the foreign registration office does not ask for domicile, nativity and such other documents, My friend is in London
who submitted, a) his Dad and Mums Indian Voters,Card, Copy of Ration Card, his fathers Death Certificate, He also submitted
Mothers Legitimate permit for staying in India, which is signed by Dy.Police C.ommissioner, Rajkot. Despite of these doucments,
which proves his Indian Origin, they ask for Mothers Oci....Fail to understand this, She is british Citizen staying In India with her
legitimate rights and permission from the Govt.of India, She has domiciled for long with the family at Rajkot. Is there further proof required to prove my friends Indian Origin. But the lady at counter ask for mums oci... which she has not , and is not necessary I feel. What I think personally that they do not sometime check the filled in form properly and documents thereof, which would go to prove once Indian Origin. They just catch one one word, from leaflet/rules ,, "copy of Oci, copy of Indian Passport, Domicile Certificate,notory affidavit etc ,Nativity Certificate." While in India Foreign Registration office, look at the points, and if convinced they would give oci. but here in uk the case is different, Many of the genuine and legitimate applications have been turned down, and whenever we ask them for clarification on email,many a time, we do not get reply. Sometimes even at counter they would say look at the webpage.Can some responsible person look into the case and resolve this issue. Are the rules different for India and Uk or other countries, only I think in uk, they want to have domicile certificate, nativitiy certificate, in absence of understanding and agreeing to the genuine applications for oci based on supporting documents.
=====================================================================================================a2)
first application.. 1) asking for mother and fathers details, 2nd application they ask for mothers oci, 3rd time application,,,they ask for Nativity certificate,.......so each person dealing with application ask for different documents etc, each time , thus delaying the process of application for a genuine applicatioin as above. They could have asked all in one go, do you not feel this is just to delay the process of application...evertime you provide details/documents, they have something to ask each time....????