ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ramesheuk

Naturalisation application process

Post by ramesheuk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi All,

I got my ILR in July 2010. So, I am eligible to apply for my Naturalisation during this July.
I am going to use NCS services and need your advice on the following:

1) When to apply for Naturalisation: I am planning to visit India from mid August to mid September. Will it be a problem if I apply on 20/07/2011? I mean if we apply in July and if I get approval by end of August (my brother will be there in the home during that time), can I postpone my ceremony? How many days we will have to book the ceremony?
2) As per my knowledge, we don’t need to show any financial document. Is this correct?
3) I recently resigned my company and started my own limited company. Will this be a problem in my application as there is no tax paid by me through this company as it is just started 3 months back?
4) References: One referee should be British citizen. Another can be any national but he should be a professional. Can a limited company director is a professional?
5) I am planning to move from my current address to another house during September. If I move my address during application process, how to update this information to UKBA?

Thanks in advance.

Miraiza

Re: Naturalisation application process

Post by Miraiza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm

ramesheuk wrote:Hi All,

I got my ILR in July 2010. So, I am eligible to apply for my Naturalisation during this July.

1) When to apply for Naturalisation: I am planning to visit India from mid August to mid September. Will it be a problem if I apply on 20/07/2011? I mean if we apply in July and if I get approval by end of August (my brother will be there in the home during that time), can I postpone my ceremony? How many days we will have to book the ceremony?
2) As per my knowledge, we don’t need to show any financial document. Is this correct?
3) I recently resigned my company and started my own limited company. Will this be a problem in my application as there is no tax paid by me through this company as it is just started 3 months back?
4) References: One referee should be British citizen. Another can be any national but he should be a professional. Can a limited company director is a professional?
5) I am planning to move from my current address to another house during September. If I move my address during application process, how to update this information to UKBA?

Thanks in advance.
If you are applying in July through NCS, then your documents including your passport will be returned to you after copies have been made by the NCS officer on the same day. So you should have no problems travelling.

At the moment it takes between 10 and 15 weeks for applicants to get approval letters and it is when you get your approval letter that you then call call your local council to book your ceremony.

On moving, all you have to do is call the HO and advise them of your change of address and that will be updated on their system.

I hope this helps.
Miraiza

ramesheuk

Post by ramesheuk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Miraiza wrote:
ramesheuk wrote:Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
If you are applying in July through NCS, then your documents including your passport will be returned to you after copies have been made by the NCS officer on the same day. So you should have no problems travelling.

At the moment it takes between 10 and 15 weeks for applicants to get approval letters and it is when you get your approval letter that you then call call your local council to book your ceremony.

On moving, all you have to do is call the HO and advise them of your change of address and that will be updated on their system.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Miraiza,

Please could you let me know about the referee point? Can be a limited company director a professional to sign on this? Does he need to be BC?

Thanks

ramesheuk

Reference

Post by ramesheuk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi,

Please could any one let me know if my proffesional referee can be a non British citizen (he is on Tier 1) and a company director?

Thanks,

99minus8
Newly Registered

Post by 99minus8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm

one of my referees was a ltd company director and British. seemed ok, got an approval

Slightly

Re: Reference

Post by Slightly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:36 am

ramesheuk wrote:Hi,

Please could any one let me know if my proffesional referee can be a non British citizen (he is on Tier 1) and a company director?

Thanks,
One of your referees needs to be British. The other can be a professional of any nationality. It says so quite clearly in the Form AN guidance notes.

majidch
Newly Registered

Post by majidch » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi, I've been married to my British citizen Wife for over 10 years, lived abroad. We have moved to the UK in 29 MAY 2012. I got my ILR in DEC 2013 using premium service (could have applied as soon as I arrived in the UK according to the Spouse visa). At the time the officer told me that I can apply for Naturalisation after a year from receiving ILR (so DEC 2014). But I'm now reading information on UKBA saying that residence requirement is minimum 3 years. Am I exempt from this requirement due to being married to a British citizen for over 10 years but living abroad? Please advise. Thank you

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm now reading information on UKBA saying that residence requirement is minimum 3 years.
Not quite right, but what is true that there is an absolute requirement to have been in the UK exactly three years before UKBA receive your Naturalisation application. That 3-year test only applies because you are married to a British Citizen, otherwise it would be a 5-year test.

Other rules apply as well.

Now you have told us :-
We have moved to the UK in 29 MAY 2012.
-: but any visits to the UK? So the specific question we need answering is ....... here we are on 12.10.14, and three years ago it was 12.10.11, so please state your dates of arrival and leaving the UK since 12.10.11.

If there were no visits to the UK in the period 12.10.11 to 29.05.12, you would need to wait until at least 29.05.15, but given there are other tests as well, we really do need all your dates in and out of the UK since 12.10.11. So please post that information.
John

majidch
Newly Registered

Post by majidch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi John, Thanks for your quick reply, really appreciate;
Actually I got settlement visa on 06-09-11 with a expiry date of 06-12-13.
But coz of some unavoidable job circumstances I came UK on 29-05-12 (7 months late). So this is the back log which still exist otherwise my 3 year should ve been completed by 06-09-14.

After 29-05-12 I was out of UK for quite some time again as follows;

From 20-06-12 to 15-09-12 i.e 85 days
From 30-09-12 to 29-11-12 i.e 60 days
From 29-12-12 to 27-02-13 i.e 58 days
From 26-04-13 to 14-05-13 i.e 28 days
From 18-08-13 to 17-09-13 i.e 29 days
From 08-11-13 to 28-11-13 i.e 20 days
Total Days out by Dec 2013 = 280 days

Then I applied and got my Resident permit on 04-12-2013.

After my permit there starts the one year time which limit us not to stay more than 90 days out,
I managed this as I was out of UK for 70 days so far and 1 YEAR LIMIT WILL END ON 04-12-2014.

SO IN TOTAL, FROM 29-05-12 I WAS OUT FROM UK FOR ABOUT 350 DAYS SO FAR. ALL THESE ABSENCES ARE DUE TO THE NATURE OF MY WORK COZ I HAVE TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE AFTER EVERY MONTH OR SO ...

Please Advise when I could apply for Citizenship and what about my excess days out due to work, Would they consider them or not.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I think you can apply in May 2015 as you have to have been resident in UK for the last 3 years.
If having more than 270 days of absences in the last 3 years than you have to apply for discretion.
Are you working for UK based company?
I am sometimes wrong.

John

Post by John » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for this information. But as regards :-
After my permit there starts the one year time which limit us not to stay more than 90 days out, I managed this as I was out of UK for 70 days so far and 1 YEAR LIMIT WILL END ON 04-12-2014.
-: not so, the one year period, indeed also the three year period, will both end on the day that UKBA receive the Naturalisation application. And very clearly you will not be applying in December 2014!

Firstly there is an absolute requirement to be physically in the UK at the start of the qualifying period, for you three years. The rule is very specific, so for example you might apply on 01.06.15, but could not apply on say 01.07.15. Why? Go back three years. On 01.06.12 you were in the UK, whilst on 01.07.12 you were not. Get the idea?

You have also made reference to your excess days out of the UK. I suggest you download :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dments.pdf

-: and in particular read from 4.1. It is the number of days in brackets that apply to 3-year applications. Read 4.1.2 as that is likely to apply to you.

Let's assume, for the purpose of illustration, that your application date is 01.06.15. How many days do you reckon you will have been outside the UK in the one year period to 01.06.15? Also in the three year period to 01.06.15?
John

san2014

Post by san2014 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi everybody,
I wonder if anyone could answer my questions please?
My boyfriend has applied for naturalisation since 9 May 2014 and he hasn't received the answer for the passport yet :( they just saying wait
Now we have a baby and we want to apply for her british passport.
The solicitor said that you can apply because she is eligible as her father has ILR(Indefinite leave to remain) despite the fact that he don't have the passport yet.
When I went to the Post office with the form and the copy( because the original is in the Home Office) of his ILR she said NO because he don't have the naturalisation yet :(

I don't know what to do because all the solicitors that we have spoked to have said YES send the form ?

But we don't know what to do?
Is anyone knows about this case or has heard anything or any experience please??

Many thanks in advance

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:37 am

My boyfriend has applied for naturalisation since 9 May 2014 and he hasn't received the answer for the passport yet :( they just saying wait
Now we have a baby and we want to apply for her british passport.
That is a huge delay and ordinarily I would say that he should contact the MP for the area in which you live. But as of today we do not have MPs, not until they are elected in the General Election. Maybe make a diary note to contact the MP shortly after the General Election, assuming of course he has not heard about the result of his Naturalisation application by then.

As he has ILR, he has what is called "settled status" and accordingly any baby born in the UK to him after he got his ILR is automatically British from the moment of birth.

Just a question of proving that he has that ILR, and indeed he is the father of the born-in-the-UK baby. Just make an application for a British passport.

What you were told at the Post Office? Simply ..... more staff training required!
John

san2014

Post by san2014 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks for the repaly John,

I will send the application for my baby today as we signed sice last week the photos and the form. I hope they will accept :)

Actually we have spoked with the MP and the Home Office is saying the same thing to MP as well, like we need more time :(
Because we were contacting the Home Office by email, our solicitor and also the MP. So for this reason (as we upset them so much) they sent a letter saying wait another 3-6 months.

Few weeks ago my boyfriend spoked with another solicitor about this case ( his application) he said ' don't expect anything before the election :( as many other people are in the same position ;(

Thanks