ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI from EU country (outside the UK)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dilip_gem

OCI from EU country (outside the UK)

Post by dilip_gem » Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for OCI from a country other than the UK or India for a British Citizen?
I might move to Switzerland or Belgium soon. I do not have any intentions of returning back to the UK soon. Was wondering if I could apply for OCI from there? I recently went to vfs to get Indian visa, when I asked the lady at the counter, she said its not possible.
I do not trust VFS guys cause most of the times they provide incorrect information.

Regards,
Gem

DanChak

Re: OCI from EU country (outside the UK)

Post by DanChak » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:18 am

Hi Jem

If you are in Belgium, you require a Belgium residence card before you can apply for an OCI Card on a British Passport. This is what I was told by the Indian Embassy in Brussels.
I think they said the processing time was minimum two months.
I would advise you to apply in UK where it is much quicker and easier.

Regards
Dan

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Not sure about Belgium and Switzerland, but you can from Spain.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:13 pm

As per rules you can apply from any country where you are a resident (or from India). You don't need to be a citizen of the country where you are applying from.
However you may need to provide additional supporting documents such as proof of your residency in the country of application, legalised/apostitled version of naturalisation certificate. Also the process is expected to take longer than usual in-country applications.