ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname Change to Married before or after Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

al.lutonee
Newly Registered

Surname Change to Married before or after Naturalisation

Post by al.lutonee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi all,

Your assistance will be much appreciated. I will be using a substitute name for example purposes

My wife will be applying for Naturalisation in December after 3 years stay as a spouse of British citizen on 2 year route

On all her documents, including our marriage certiricate, BRP, etc, she has her name as Roxanna Begum Lena, with Lena being her surname (Mrs Lena).

She wants to change her name to take my surname, Ahmad, so it will become Roxanna Ahmad. This is what ideally we want on her Passport and any subsequent letters .

Before applying for Naturalisation, can she apply with the new name or do we have to wait until after receiving the passport?

Ideally i would like to at the time of applying of Naturalisation, apply with the new name and just include the deed poll letter. Do i need to do anything for the deed poll letter?

Many thanks all

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: Surname Change to Married before or after Naturalisation

Post by fwd079 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:16 pm

The opinion on such matters differ.

Since all previous documents were on Lena, to keep things simple, I am in the favour of leaving the name change till after Naturalisation, as some members had trouble getting UK passport due to name change, while others didn't. I shall await further replies. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.