ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confidentiality Agreement for E.U1 Settlement?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:32 pm

We were told by our solicitors that we would be crazy not to accept the terms offered by the Department of Justice as we are getting everything we want/entitled to, including full costs,and our claim for damages can still go ahead in open court...I am in a bit of a dilemma as we want our case to set a precedent and help others, but our solicitors prefer we accept the terms offered.

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:44 pm

archigabe wrote:We were told by our solicitors that we would be crazy not to accept the terms offered by the Department of Justice as we are getting everything we want/entitled to, including full costs,and our claim for damages can still go ahead in open court...I am in a bit of a dilemma as we want our case to set a precedent and help others, but our solicitors prefer we accept the terms offered.
How i wish you can resist this temptation from the Solicitor.I will encourage you to hang on,you are almost there.You name(s) will ever remain in the good side of history.
Knowledge is Power

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:47 am

Our solicitor said that we've had the best deal so far that any of their clients have been offered, and I don't know what to do when they seem to have lost interest in going further...If they had wanted to create a precedent, we would have been behind them 100%

My wife and I can relate to the stress that others are going through, and we would loved to have made the DOJ eat humble pie in public after the way the've treated us for the past one year. But we are still going to make our story known to all the immigrant support organizations, European commission and help them in any way we can.

We would have loved to have created a precedent and become famous like 'Surinder singh', 'Jia' or 'Chen' :) but lets see how it pans out!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:05 am

archigabe wrote:Our solicitor said that we've had the best deal so far that any of their clients have been offered
I am very curious how the other settlement offers compare. And what do you think has motivated them to offer you a better deal?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:32 am

our solicitors really want us to agree to the terms even though I would have preferred everything to have gone to open court.They also told me today to stop discussing the settlement from now on...this goes against my desire but it seems I have to not share any more because they don't want me to wreck the negotiations.
I would advice anyone in the same situation that if they have a strong case and they've exhausted all other options to go ahead and sue the government as the DOJ seems to want to settle if the applicants have a water-tight case. I don't know how they would respond in case the applicants have been present in Ireland illegally at the time of application.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:33 am

I know you're not supposed to discuss the settlement, Archigabe, but I have a couple of questions:

If you take the settlement as your solicitors advise (as would we if in your situation, probably) that includes the confidentiality agreement and the no-fault claim, yes? Wouldn't this affect your ability to file for damages in the future?

If you are not supposed to answer these questions, that's all right. I just thought I'd put them out there.

On one hand, I agree with your solicitors: they've given you what you originally wanted, so of course you should take the settlement. On the other hand, your solicitors must know the DoJ are in a weak position, and I'm surprised they are so against pushing this to court.

In any case, good luck with everything. And I sincerely hope Ireland continues to do well economically and improve socially, since that is where you will be making your life, after all!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Good news for Everyone!!!!

I just received a call from our Solicitor...We have managed to convince the judge to waive the confidentiality clause, and the Department of Justice have accepted that the case does not need to be treated confidentially. This is good news for everyone as our case can be quoted as a precedent for others!!! Praise God!!

Bye Bye S.I 656/2006. :D

Happy Christmas and New Year Everyone!!!!

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Let me be the first one to say.

Congratulations to u Archigabe.

Good to hear that Ireland has been "forced" to obey the law.

That said i dont have any intention of returning back.
:lol:

Best of luck to all those who are following this precedent.

I think they will take another 6 months to implement for everyone :)
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:19 pm

Archigabe that is fantastic news! First and foremost congratulations to you and your family! What a nice way to end the EU1 drama for you guys right before the holidays. I really hope this precedent helps others as well.

I'm in Dublin over Christmas and will definitely be having a toast and a drink in celebration of all your hard work lol :D

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Thank you, Yankeegirl and Runie :D

The final settlement is as follows...

The confidentiality clause is waived, full 'reasonable' costs around 16,000 euros will be paid to solicitors, Full E.U treaty rights for 5 years and E.U Fam card, damages will be remitted on consent to a 'plenary hearing'.

I am very happy with the hard work from our Solicitors, and if anyone wants to pm me, I will supply their name and address.

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Archigabe,

What a good way to celebrate the Christmas holidays.
Congratulations to you and your family for the efforts.
I am personally happy that you did not fall to cheap ideas of the DoJ.
The last bit is the damages,that will be a piece of cake to go through.
I am sorry the DoJ has taken this route to waste the tax payers money and abuse the rights of immigrants.
Knowledge is Power

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:30 am

Fantastic news, archigabe.

Congratulations and thank you and your spouse for being so strong and courageous in fighting for justice. I know that because of you, many families now and in the future will also enjoy the EU Treaty rights that they are entitled to.

You are an inspiration and a blessing to us all.

limey

Post by limey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:34 am

Congratulations Archi! :D

Your perseverance and fortitude will have its just rewards! 8)

They have treated people with such contempt and denied them their EU rights? They deserve a bloody nose! :twisted:

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks for the greetings everyone.
The good thing about the non confidentiality clause is that if you are in a similar situation to ours, you can quote our settlement to claim a similar settlement.
The major facts of our case.
1.My E.U spouse has been working in Ireland for 6 years.
2. I was legally in Ireland when we applied for E.U1 (ie. was here on a spouse visa)

Even though it's not a complete legal precedent, you can quote the terms of settlement made between the Department of Justice and our Solicitors on 21st December to request a similar settlement. (pm me if you want the name of our solicitors)
Unfortunately, it seems that you might still have to still use solicitors to request similar terms or you can use FOI act to request the copy of our settlement.
Even though our legal bills were above 10,000 euros, we were never pressurised by our solicitors to pay up.So if your solicitors are quite confident of being able to claim costs from the government, you might not have to pay too much out of pocket (depends on your solicitors)

We are really glad to get on with our lives...It feels so great compared to the stress we had August when I was told that I would have to leave the country because my spouse couldn't support me while on maternity leave...We don't have any family here, and my wife was outraged that I would be forced to leave when she was pregnant and we had done nothing illegal. A truly disgusting attitude from GNIB, and we hope they are brought to account soon (I don't think they are going to be handing out any christmas bonuses at DOJ with all the solicitors costs they have been paying out)

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am

CONGRATS :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by microlab on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:58 am

Archie wrote
...But if you have resided in Ireland for 5 years legally (excluding student visa) whether on work permit or Spousal permit, you are automatically entitled to permanent residency and naturalization
Yeah.., I raised that question & answer here@

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=20925

....and as already said you need to fulfill that 5 year legall requirement.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:39 am

archigabe wrote:Even though our legal bills were above 10,000 euros, we were never pressurised by our solicitors to pay up.So if your solicitors are quite confident of being able to claim costs from the government, you might not have to pay too much out of pocket (depends on your solicitors)
those are stand up solicitors because nothing is a sure thing. Look at the JR for hsmp.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello everyone, we finally received the letter from DOJ with the 5 year EU fam card today. Three years,3 continents and finally it seems we can settle for a bit now!
Being on this board and meeting people in the same situation really encouraged us to go all the way and 'stick it to the MAN' :twisted: It seems the guy from the E.U treaty section personally came down to our solicitors and handed in the letter.

Our solicitors tell us many people have approached them after reading the story in the paper and on this board.Hopefully things will change for them soon and this department realizes they WILL be held accountable for their actions.
Last edited by archigabe on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

AWSOME!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:39 am

archigabe wrote:Our solicitor said that we've had the best deal so far that any of their clients have been offered, and I don't know what to do when they seem to have lost interest in going further...If they had wanted to create a precedent, we would have been behind them 100%

My wife and I can relate to the stress that others are going through, and we would loved to have made the DOJ eat humble pie in public after the way the've treated us for the past one year. But we are still going to make our story known to all the immigrant support organizations, European commission and help them in any way we can.

We would have loved to have created a precedent and become famous like 'Surinder singh', 'Jia' or 'Chen' :) but lets see how it pans out!
because, if, the supreme court who will rule in kumar (who are very conservative these days) rules that regardless of facts of any case; that the regulation 3.2 is ok and does not violate european law or that it is justifible, you will bear a very heavy legal bill if you loose. not in your best interest as it will look badly if you have liabilities should you go for naturalisation in a few years. you basically got what you would have got if the application had been successful. best look after yourself and get on with life. further, the fact that you were offered a settlement might affect your locus standi to challenge case

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:42 am

out of interst what happens next. would the parties have got the case struck out of court and settlement acknowlegded. does eu treaty rights section send a letter to you telling you to go to immigration, or do you just go over with the settlement letter from chief state solicitors?

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 pm

rules that regardless of facts of any case; that the regulation 3.2 is ok and does not violate european law or that it is justifible,
.......CERTAINLY violates main principle of free movement within the EU.
Otherwise we wouldnt have all these discussions here and tons of pissed off people! :evil: :twisted: :wink:

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:32 pm

microlab wrote:
rules that regardless of facts of any case; that the regulation 3.2 is ok and does not violate european law or that it is justifible,
.......CERTAINLY violates main principle of free movement within the EU.
Otherwise we wouldnt have all these discussions here and tons of pissed off people! :evil: :twisted: :wink:
just to make sure no one misinterpreted my last post i was saying it would be a good idea to accept settlement as their is also a possiblity that the supreme court will uphold the high courts decision in the kumar case. take it now intead of not having the right to work whilst waiting for the kumar case conclude - god knows when it will be heard. thats my point.

i very much doubt the supreme court will care about who it pisses off i am afraid. it may refer a point of law to europe.

main principle of freemovement when it first was established had envisaged a case where there was a marriage already in existence prior to exercise of right to free movement. of course times have changed ie more non eu citizens coming into the union - case law has not been consistent on this.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 am

i was saying it would be a good idea to accept settlement as their is also a possiblity that the supreme court will uphold the high courts decision in the kumar case. take it now intead of not having the right to work whilst waiting for the kumar case conclude - god knows when it will be heard. thats my point.
There are many people who are in a different situation compared to Kumar,they were already married or present in Ireland legally before the E.U1 application.
That our case was different from Kumar was acknowledged by the High Court when our case got listed for hearing, otherwise it would not have met the initial review.By the way, the DOJ did not offer us the settlement and compensation out of the goodness of their rotten hearts...they knew that they would lose if our case went for full hearing.

We went to GNIB with the letter from the E.U treaty section,DOJ.The letter states that we have been granted full E.U treaty rights for 5 years.But many people cannot afford to stick it out for much longer...it's upto them whether they should take up the settlement offered.

The Government of Ireland is in line for substantial penalties for their improper application of E.U directive.

See Francovich v Republic of Italy ECJ 1995
http://sixthformlaw.info/01_modules/mod ... effect.htm
Francovich v Italy [1991] ECJ

State Liability when there is no domestic law on a matter to which a Directive relates or domestic law is totally contrary to EC law

Sometimes referred to as the 'Francovich Doctrine' or the 'Francovich Principle'. Francovich focused on the primary liability of Member State for a failure to fulfil a Community obligation. Although the Directive was not sufficiently clear and precise to be directly effective against the State, Italy was under an obligation to implement it under Article 5 EC. And since Italy had failed to do so, it was under a duty to compensate individuals for damage suffered as a result of its failure if

1.it is possible to identify the content of these rights from the Directive; and
2.there is a causal link between the State's failure to implement the Directive and the damage suffered by the individual.

Therefore the state was liable to compensate for loss as a result of the state’s failure to implement an EU directive within the required time limit.

http://www.emplaw.co.uk/researchfree-re ... 400802.htm
He sued the Italian government for damages for the government's failure to implement an EC/EU Directive which would have eliminated (or reduced) his loss (for notes on the Directive concerned see Insolvency/government guarantees on insolvency of employer/wages, holiday pay etc ).

The local court in Vicenza referred questions to the ECJ and the final result was that the Italian government was ordered to pay compensation to Sr Francovich.

The case has enormously important implications for both individuals and governments.

For individuals it shows a way in which they may sometimes circumvent the problem of non-horizontal enforceability of EC/EU Directives (ie the problem that rights arising under a Directive cannot be enforced in national courts and tribunals against individuals and companies but only against governments and government bodies - see European Law/direct applicability of EC or EU measures ).

For governments, Francovich poses the risk of huge damages claims from private citizens if EC/EU Directives are not properly implemented within the time specified. A defence by a government that the time allowed by a Directive for its implementation was too short is unlikely to succeed and was rejected by the European Court in Dillenkofer & ors v Germany [1997] IRLR 60, ECJ joined Cases C-178 and 179/94 and C-188, 189 and 1990/94 (this involved delayed implementation of Directive 90/314/EEC which gives package holiday travellers rights in the event of their travel agents becoming insolvent).

For the Francovich principle to apply three conditions set out by the ECJ must be fulfilled:

1. the result prescribed by the Directive must entail creation of rights for individuals; and
2. the content of those rights must be ascertainable from the Directive itself; and
3. there must be a causal link between the failure of the Member State concerned to implement the Directive and the harm suffered by the individual.

The Court of Appeal confirmed these requirements in a case in 2007 in which it rejected an argument by Names at Lloyds who claimed they lost substantial amounts because of the UK government's failure properly to implement Directive 73/239/EC (governing regulation of the insurance industry) . The Directive did not give the Names rights as individuals - see Poole & Ors v Her Majesty’s Treasury [2007] EWCA Civ 1021.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 am

it would be a good idea to accept settlement as their is also a possiblity that the supreme court will uphold the high courts decision in the kumar case. take it now intead of not having the right to work whilst waiting for the kumar case conclude - god knows when it will be heard. thats my point.
Also,the State Solicitors agreed in front of Judge Finlay Geoghan that there was no point in maintaining confidentiality as our damages claim would be in open court. One of the good things about waiving the confidentiality clause is that the Supreme Court will be forced to acknowledge that there are people whose circumstances are quite different from Kumar.
Last edited by archigabe on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.