ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Surname on Indian Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chrissys
Newly Registered

No Surname on Indian Passport

Post by chrissys » Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 am

I went for NCS appointment yesterday and they advised me to deed poll first and resubmit application to them. In my Indian passport my surname is printed together with the first name, hence 'surname' column is empty. I never had issues in my visa extensions or settlement application.
NCS staff advised me to go to local solicitor and get deed poll. Submit original and photocopy to them( 1 week time given) for AN1 application. They strongly advised not to use any online service since home office could reject.
Please advise this is right way to resolve this issue. Also NCS staff advised me that I have to choose one of the following two options, which one is less confusing from UKBA's perspective ?

Indian Passport:

'Given Name' - "XXXX YYYY" 'Surname' - " "

New British passport Option 1
'Given Name' - "XXXX" 'Surname' - "YYYY"

New British passport Option 2
'Given Name' - "XXXX YYYY" 'Surname' - "ZZZZ" where "ZZZZ" is my husbands family name.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: No Surname on Indian Passport

Post by CR001 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:38 am

This is a common problem with Indian names/passports.

You do not need a deed poll as if you do that, you will need to change your Indian passport before you can apply for citizenship.

Your name will be printed on your certificate as it appears in your foreign passport. You cannot choose to change your name. HO/HMPO is very adverse to different names being used to avoid multiple identities.

Your British passport will be printed with your full name in the surname field.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 am

Also see similar thread.

Be aware that if you do not have any surname, the UK passport will be issued with your mononym in Surname field, with "XXX" (literally three Xs) in the first name field.

If you wish to avoid this, NCS is right in stating that you need to make changes to your name before starting the process. Also, your name needs to be updated in the Indian passport before you start the process, because after naturalisation, you can not be issued with an updated Indian passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

chrissys
Newly Registered

Post by chrissys » Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you CR001 and Secret.Simon. You both advising to get new passport with correct GivenName and Surname. This means I need to cancel NCS appointment because getting a new Indian passport can take at least a week. Other issue is I don't have a marriage certificate. So a splitting up my name would be the best option to choose, then it require newspaper ads in India and UK.
I am confused with NCS staff advise that a deed poll will be sufficient for naturalization application. :?:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 am

Apply with your current name and once you have received your British passport with your name as we have mentioned, then you do a deed poll and then reapply for your British passport. This will likely be the easiest way as then there is no need to worry about the foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chrissys
Newly Registered

Post by chrissys » Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 pm

CR001 wrote:Apply with your current name and once you have received your British passport with your name as we have mentioned, then you do a deed poll and then reapply for your British passport. This will likely be the easiest way as then there is no need to worry about the foreign passport.
Thank you. I will follow this but I will also include a deed poll from online services and an explanation. Called up some solicitor firm and they wouldn't do for non-uk nationals.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 pm

chrissys wrote:
CR001 wrote:Apply with your current name and once you have received your British passport with your name as we have mentioned, then you do a deed poll and then reapply for your British passport. This will likely be the easiest way as then there is no need to worry about the foreign passport.
Thank you. I will follow this but I will also include a deed poll from online services and an explanation. Called up some solicitor firm and they wouldn't do for non-uk nationals.
If you do not change your foreign passport, HO will not accept your application. If you do a deed poll now and submit citizenship application, you will likely have a problem and HMPO will also have a problem with issuing you a passport. There are many cases on the forum of passport problems from HMPO regarding name changes etc.

Do naturalisation first, then British passport. Once done, do deed poll and then reapply for passport. Also do deed poll AFTER you have surrendered your Indian passport etc.

HO/HMPO are very strict regarding names that must match the foreign passport. Trying to skip changing your Indian passport will likely cause a substantial delay to the process.

Read through the lengthy thread below to see the problems people experience.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 17, 2016 7:50 pm

chrissys wrote:I will also include a deed poll from online services and an explanation.
Whatever you do, don't do this.

Executing a deed poll changes your name. You will end up in a soup if you change your name and still have your old Indian passport in the original name.

Either
a) Execute deed poll, get new Indian passport, then start the naturalisation process.
or
b) Start naturalisation process, get approval, attend ceremony and get certificate, get British passport with name mangled incorrectly, then execute deed poll and reapply for British passport in new name.

Do the deed pol and name change right at the beginning or right at the end, but do not try to save time by doing it concurrently. You will create a massive headache for yourself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

uk2k10
India

Post by uk2k10 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 am

I had the same problem with my spouse's passport.

For the visa and the extensions we were suggested to use first name (as on ur passport - means in ur case first name and lastname) in both first name and last name column.

That worked for us, hope it does for you too.

This was suggested to us by HO.

chrissys
Newly Registered

Post by chrissys » Wed May 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Sorry uk2k10, how did you fill on your AN1 application ?
1.5 blank
1.6 'Given Name' on my Indian passport Eg: XXXX YYYY
1.7 XXXX YYYY
Then writing an explanation on page 22, will this suffice?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm

uk2k10 wrote:I had the same problem with my spouse's passport.

For the visa and the extensions we were suggested to use first name (as on ur passport - means in ur case first name and lastname) in both first name and last name column.

That worked for us, hope it does for you too.

This was suggested to us by HO.
Your spouse has not applied for citizenship based on your previous posts. Immigration (visas and ILR) are not the same as applying for citizenship where the rules/laws are more stringent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 pm

chrissys wrote:Sorry uk2k10, how did you fill on your AN1 application ?
1.5 blank
1.7 XXXX YYYY
uk2k10 has not submitted his wife's form AN application. He is only referring to visas and extension, which are different rules/laws to citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

uk2k10
India

Post by uk2k10 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:38 am

CR001 wrote:
chrissys wrote:Sorry uk2k10, how did you fill on your AN1 application ?
1.5 blank
1.7 XXXX YYYY
uk2k10 has not submitted his wife's form AN application. He is only referring to visas and extension, which are different rules/laws to citizenship.

I agree CR001 - I mentioned in my post that we used that when applying for visa and extension

fxlm
Newly Registered

Post by fxlm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello Friends,

I am in a similar situation. No surname in my Indian passport.

Surname : <Blank>
Given Name : XXX YYY ZZZ

I have been advised by NCS to get the name in Indian passport changed,else I could face difficulty en-route.

I am planning do below process. Could you please advise if there any better solution to this.

1. Apply for Indian passport renewal at VFS London. Expecting a 2 month process. 2 news paper advertisement regarding change of name and applying for the renewal after 30 days from date of advertisement.

2. Apply for Citizenship after getting my Indian passport re-issued with name bifurcated. [do I need to any other document like BRP card updated before applying for Citizenship?]

your advise and help is very much appreciated.

thank you.

ITUS
Newly Registered
India

Post by ITUS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi All,

1. Indian passport- GIVEN NAME only : ABC XYZ
2. SURNAME : Empty
3. Now Applying for NCS(naturalisation)- which is the best option from below:
- CHANGE ON INDIAN PASSPORT FIRST AND APPLY FOR NCS
Or
- Apply for NCS and let is come as it is- take British Passport and take OCI as per given name only (ABC XYZ).
- Then Then Later change on British Passport- Given name ABC & Surname XYZ and re change on OCI as per new BP...? :?:

Many Thanks.

prad81
Newly Registered
India

Post by prad81 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm

fxlm wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm
Hello Friends,

I am in a similar situation. No surname in my Indian passport.

Surname : <Blank>
Given Name : XXX YYY ZZZ

I have been advised by NCS to get the name in Indian passport changed,else I could face difficulty en-route.

I am planning do below process. Could you please advise if there any better solution to this.

1. Apply for Indian passport renewal at VFS London. Expecting a 2 month process. 2 news paper advertisement regarding change of name and applying for the renewal after 30 days from date of advertisement.

2. Apply for Citizenship after getting my Indian passport re-issued with name bifurcated. [do I need to any other document like BRP card updated before applying for Citizenship?]

your advise and help is very much appreciated.

thank you.

Hi,
What happened after this process did you manage to get UK Passport and OCI with right name?

Thanks in advance

Pradeep