ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wiki/glossary as an adjunct to the forums

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

secret.simon

Wiki/glossary as an adjunct to the forums

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 31, 2016 4:25 am

The core knowledge of these forums with regards to immigration and nationality laws is currently stored in stickies on the relevant forums. That is not the best format to store textual and procedural knowledge, which is, by its very nature, dynamic and also linked to each other and external documents.

Is it worth considering whether to append a wiki site to these forums (perhaps as http://wiki.immigrationboards.com) as a resource to host up-to-date information on Immigration Rules and common definitions (glossary)? A wiki would be easier to keep "live" with updates, while at the same time also be easier to link to.

I believe that it is possible to implement a timeline structure on some wiki softwares, which would be a handy way of tracking changes on the Immigration Rules and even perhaps on specific subsets, such as Tier 2 ICT, for instance.

Such a wiki could also include a glossary, as a simple reference point for immigration terms such as "Family Permit", "EEA National", "UK RC", etc.

While the initial migration may take time, I am sure that keeping it up to date would only be as time-consuming as the current system.

I presume that the technical admins for the site would need to be consulted, to look at the feasibility and to take it further. I believe that quite a few of our members have a background in designing and setting up such interfaces and they could also advise further on this suggestion.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Re: Wiki/glossary as an adjunct to the forums

Post by noajthan » Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 am

+1

Good idea.

wikis are worth weight in gold.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 pm

noajthan wrote:wikis are worth weight in gold.
Given that wikis are practically weightless (apart from the weight of electrons wizzing around in the circuitry of the servers and networks), is that a compliment? :? :wink:

I am sure that the moderators can progress this suggestion further in their discussions.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 31, 2016 6:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:
noajthan wrote:wikis are worth weight in gold.
Given that wikis are practically weightless (apart from the weight of electrons wizzing around in the circuitry of the servers and networks), is that a compliment? :? :wink:

I am sure that the moderators can progress this suggestion further in their discussions.
Very good, I suppose I was thinking figuratively rather than literally.

wikis are a great asset.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Wikis are good if maintained and not vandalised. I've seen more than hundreds of good wikis going to the toilet because of no maintenance. There's also to consider that immigration laws change relatively quickly. Not to mention all this house of cards could be blown by impending brexit. Try to maintain a wiki during a multi year negotiation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 pm

rooibos wrote:Wikis are good if maintained and not vandalised. I've seen more than hundreds of good wikis going to the toilet because of no maintenance. There's also to consider that immigration laws change relatively quickly. Not to mention all this house of cards could be blown by impending brexit. Try to maintain a wiki during a multi year negotiation.
A valid point, but would you not consider a wiki to be a better solution relative to stickies, structurally?

As regards vandalism, I am sure some sort of moderation would need to be put in place.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:02 am

Moderation is worse than vandalism.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:05 am

rooibos wrote:Moderation is worse than vandalism.
Moderation
noun
the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behaviour or political opinions.
"he urged the police to show moderation"
synonyms: self-restraint, restraint, self-control, self-discipline;

Moderate
adjective
1. Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme: a moderate price.
2. Not violent or subject to extremes; mild or calm; temperate

:|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.