ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining Irish passport

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

John Green

Obtaining Irish passport

Post by John Green » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:36 pm

For those with a family connection to Ireland, for example a parent, they can apply for an Irish passport. As Ireland is still in the EU, they could use this passport for travel across the EU. Possibly to live and work in another EU country.

However, if they get UK state benefits, for example, UK benefit rules post Brexit would probably apply. In the case of the UK state pension, for example, it would probably be frozen. Unless there is a reciprocal agreement established. The issue of whether the UK could negotiate health care agreements with Spain, etc. to maintain the present system is also not decided.

Casa

Re: Obtaining Irish passport

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:38 pm

And does this apply to your situation? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi Casa. Not at the moment. I am a UK passport holder. But my deceased mother was Irish and I can prove it. So this is something to keep in the back of my mind for the time when the UK is not in the EU and a situation arises where myself and my spouse want to live somewhere else, like Spain. Who knows the future? So not something I'm interested in now, which is why it's not been mentioned. For the forseeable future, I want to live here with my overseas spouse.

I think for those who have this family connection and want to live elsewhere, it's a very feasible idea.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:44 pm

John Green wrote:The issue of whether the UK could negotiate health care agreements with Spain, etc. to maintain the present system is also not decided.
John Green wrote: For the forseeable future, I want to live here with my overseas spouse.
That present system that you talk about is an S1 and that is only for those in receipt of a UK state pension. If your overseas spouse isn't in receipt of a UK state pension, then the UK will not pay for her healthcare in Spain.

I thought I had told you this before?