ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No EHIC/insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Garethio
Newly Registered

No EHIC/insurance

Post by Garethio » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi, I'm a British citizen married to a Romanian citizen. My wife has lived with me in the UK for five years.
We have been married for four years and have a four year old child. She wants to apply for residence in order to apply for UK citizenship.

We have been lazy and have not given it much throught untill Brexit, and now I have read up on it I'm a little shocked as to what documents are required.

She has had a National Insurance number for just over four year and is claiming child allowance, but, has never worked here or had medical insurance or a EHIC card.

I thought all we would need to provide is a marriage certificate, the birth certificate of our British child and all my details. Am I correct? Or does she really need proof of this medical cover for the last four years?

Thanks

Casa

Re: No EHIC/insurance

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm afraid so. If your wife hasn't been employed she would need either Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) or a EHIC card from her own country covering the 5 year qualifying period. The best you can do now is to take out CSI to kick-start the next 5 year period before she will be able to apply for confirmation of PR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Garethio
Newly Registered

Post by Garethio » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is bad, I don't really understand why the medical cover is such a spanner in the works. She registered with a doctor here, used the NHS to have our baby. She was never asked for a EHIC or insurance details and they knew her nationally.
Does Romania have a separate medical cover treaty with the UK that does not require a EHIC?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 am

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Garethio wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

This is bad, I don't really understand why the medical cover is such a spanner in the works. She registered with a doctor here, used the NHS to have our baby. She was never asked for a EHIC or insurance details and they knew her nationally.
Does Romania have a separate medical cover treaty with the UK that does not require a EHIC?
Doctors are not immigration experts and are unlikely to know the subleties of EU migration rules. And the CSI requirement is not about having access to NHS anyway,
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alexxy
Newly Registered

Post by alexxy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 pm

I will tell you why this CSI requirement was introduced. They wanted to make it harder for any EEA immigrants (students or self-sufficient persons) to get a qualifying period, also they wanted them to spend huge amounts of money monthly on this private insurance thing so that they 'don't become a burden on the NHS". Sadly, this is the case.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm

alexxy wrote:I will tell you why this CSI requirement was introduced. They wanted to make it harder for any EEA immigrants (students or self-sufficient persons) to get a qualifying period, also they wanted them to spend huge amounts of money monthly on this private insurance thing so that they 'don't become a burden on the NHS". Sadly, this is the case.
In Austria, if an EEA national wants to use their healthservice for free, then they have to show the card that proves they were in work the previous week. No card = they pay for their own healthcare.

Students and self suifficients in UK get off cheap by only having to buy a CSI. If you didn't buy that alexxy, then you only have yourself to blame.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Garethio wrote:Hi, I'm a British citizen married to a Romanian citizen. My wife has lived with me in the UK for five years.

We have been lazy and have not given it much throught untill Brexit, and now I have read up on it I'm a little shocked as to what documents are required.

She has had a National Insurance number for just over four year and is claiming child allowance, but, has never worked here or had medical insurance or a EHIC card.
We can't just live in another EEA country as we have to exercise treaty rights to do that, by being a qualified person at all times. Just being married to a citizen of that country, is not exercising treaty rights.

If your wife doesn't want to work then she should buy a CSI as suggested and put the child benefit claim in your name only. Then she will be a self sufficient qualified person, using your wages. Self sufficients must have a CSI and cannot have benefits from that country. Then she is on the path of 5 years to PR (subject to Brexit) but must remain a qualified person at all times - worker or self employed earning a set amount, jobseeker for maximum of 6 months with proof, self sufficient or student with CSI and no beneifts.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:38 pm

alexxy wrote:I will tell you why this CSI requirement was introduced. They wanted to make it harder for any EEA immigrants (students or self-sufficient persons) to get a qualifying period, also they wanted them to spend huge amounts of money monthly on this private insurance thing so that they 'don't become a burden on the NHS". Sadly, this is the case.
You are joking - aren't you?

Not sure who you think 'they' are.

The CSI requirement comes from EU law :!:
... economically inactive persons must also have sufficient resources for themselves and their family not to become a burden on the host EU country’s social assistance system during their residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover
Get up to speed on the rights and responsibilities of free movement here (quick - before its too late and doesn't matter anymore):
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.