ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(FP) Application time

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dylan_far
Thailand

FLR(FP) Expired Passport

Post by dylan_far » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:11 am

Hi everyone!

I've been checking posts on here for a long while now, but I've finally thought it's worth asking for some advice now that I really need it.

My husband and I recently dropped out solicitor who turned out to be completely incompetent. I am almost entirely certain that the FLR(FP) application I have completed and submitted myself will be accepted...

One problem: my husband's passport has been with the Home Office for around a year and it expired in April. Do you think they will accept our application but ask us to go to the Thai Embassy for a new passport or just refuse the application by default due to it being expired?

Thanks,
Dylan

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FLR(FP) Expired Passport

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:24 am

A valid passport is required to submit an application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:26 am

CR001 wrote:A valid passport is required to submit an application.

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is though that the Home Office is holding onto my husband's passport, so we are unable to request a new one from the Thai authorities.

Any ideas? We've already submitted the application.

Thanks again,
Dylan

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:46 am

For what reason is your husband's passport being held by the HO?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:51 am

Casa wrote:For what reason is your husband's passport being held by the HO?
We submitted an application on 31/08/2015 for FLR(FP) and it was refused because the Home Office said we had no insurmountable obstacles with regards to living abroad. We now have insurmountable obstacles and as such have submitted a new application.

HO have had his passport since that refusal (which we received in January), since then we have put in a variety of submissions for JR, appeal etc. All of these were refused and our solicitor at the time told us to go to Liverpool to open a fresh claim with the new evidence - it turns out you can only do this for asylum, which we are not applying for.

During all of this his passport expired (in April). I should also note that at this point he is an overstayer but due to our circumstances I am unable to leave the country with him in any way.

We submitted a new FLR(FP) application on 31/08/2016 and we're waiting to hear back - they've charged the application fee and we have told them in the application that they hold his passport.

Thanks,
Dylan

LondonGuy16
Newly Registered

Post by LondonGuy16 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:34 pm

dylan_far wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been checking posts on here for a long while now, but I've finally thought it's worth asking for some advice now that I really need it.

My husband and I recently dropped out solicitor who turned out to be completely incompetent. I am almost entirely certain that the FLR(FP) application I have completed and submitted myself will be accepted...

One problem: my husband's passport has been with the Home Office for around a year and it expired in April. Do you think they will accept our application but ask us to go to the Thai Embassy for a new passport or just refuse the application by default due to it being expired?

Thanks,
Dylan
Similar thing happened to me.
You have to submit a valid (unexpired passport ) even though they still have your old one.
You will have substantial delay and possible rejection if you chase the expired passport from them rather than get your own new one instead.
You can ask the Thai Embassy for assistance with photocopies that you have of the old one ( I hope you have some) and any documents or letters that show citizenship to renew the passport. I will suggest you try this option first. Some embassies have a waiting list before being able to make passport applications from within the UK. It's best not to delay.

Your application will definitely be rejected by the Home Office, a letter will be sent to you giving you 10 working days to submit a valid document or evidence of an application for one. Some embassies won't help you until you have the request letter from the Home Office.

In my case, The Nigerian Embassy was willing to help only after i received the request . I paid a premium to get passport done quickly and submitted the application confirmation first to the Home Office within the time period and sent my passport shortly afterwards.

Best of luck

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 pm

LondonGuy16 wrote:
dylan_far wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks for your very helpful reply!

I guess the only option really is to head down to London (currently in Scotland) to the Thai Embassy and request a passport using photocopies of the expired passport. :cry:

If we had an unlimited pot of money lying around then that wouldn't be a problem but I'm sure you know how expensive this whole thing is, unfortunately...add to that now a train to London and back (a flight isn't an option because we now have no ID for my husband, as it's all with the Home Office).

Anyway, thanks again. I'll be getting in contact with the embassy to see what they can do to help, then when the Home Office sends us a request for the passport we'll be able to provide it.

Dylan
Similar thing happened to me.
You have to submit a valid (unexpired passport ) even though they still have your old one.
You will have substantial delay and possible rejection if you chase the expired passport from them rather than get your own new one instead.
You can ask the Thai Embassy for assistance with photocopies that you have of the old one ( I hope you have some) and any documents or letters that show citizenship to renew the passport. I will suggest you try this option first. Some embassies have a waiting list before being able to make passport applications from within the UK. It's best not to delay.

Your application will definitely be rejected by the Home Office, a letter will be sent to you giving you 10 working days to submit a valid document or evidence of an application for one. Some embassies won't help you until you have the request letter from the Home Office.

In my case, The Nigerian Embassy was willing to help only after i received the request . I paid a premium to get passport done quickly and submitted the application confirmation first to the Home Office within the time period and sent my passport shortly afterwards.

Best of luck

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Just an update for everyone...

We applied for a new passport at the embassy and received it within a month, then sent to the Home Office with an attached cover letter.

Since sending, we have received the biometric enrolment letter and completed the enrolment.

Fingers crossed we get a decision within the next couple of months.

dylan_far
Thailand

FLR(FP) Application time

Post by dylan_far » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi again everyone,

My husband and I submitted an FLR(FP) application on August 31st 2016, with the HO response being that they would need extra time to consider our application.

The case is that I am unable to leave the UK and he is looking to remain - he is currently an overstayer as a result of an incompetent solicitor used with our previously rejected application.

We applied in August with a whole new application, with a lot of new information that wasn't available at the time of the previous application.

The previous application was submitted August 31st 2015 and denied in January of 2016. The new application submitted August 31st, we've been asked for biometrics and provided those (in November) and have heard absolutely nothing since.

I've just called the HO and they've told me a decision will be rendered in "due course" and that no timeline can be given for that.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :cry:

bathanza

Re: FLR(FP) Application time

Post by bathanza » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm

You just have to wait, the average time from what I can see is 6-8month wait, you should hear something by April.

If if ends up to a year, you can get a JR from info I have been given. Just be patient and wait. In the same boat as you Dylan x

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 pm

bathanza wrote:You just have to wait, the average time from what I can see is 6-8month wait, you should hear something by April.

If if ends up to a year, you can get a JR from info I have been given. Just be patient and wait. In the same boat as you Dylan x

Thanks... it's hugely frustrating because we just want to get back to living again but fingers crossed we hear soon - the same goes for you: good luck :)

I'll look into a JR actually if we don't hear back within that sort of timeframe actually, good idea!

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi Dylan and anyone else interested in the FLR FP processing time, had some news via my solicitor as I have become even more frustrated with now a 8 month wait.

HO are processing applications for FLRFPs for May/June at the moment. It's first come first served so still waiting. We submitted in August and biometrics in Nov 2016.

Expect another 4-6 week wait. It's really nerve wracking to wait, I have a plan in place in the scenario of a rejection: Go premium and ensure whatever rejection there is, ensure that it's fulfilled. Hope everyone else will continue to update the timeline so we can track what is going on.

08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks for your reply!

It's good to hear at least that there's a sort of target in mind at the HO, instead of us sitting here until some time next year... I'll post an update when we hear from them.

Hopefully April/May are our months!

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm thinking more end of May or June as the application was sent end of Aug! :shock: So will need to just "ignore" this admin work and get on with life and living.

Will be keeping an eye around too, had seen someone else posted today to ask who else is waiting but thread is locked, the timeline thread isn't meant for "chatter" so hopefully, this post is acceptable for everyone else to get some reassurance too!

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi
I applied on 26 Aug 2016 and biometric 22 Nov 3016 and still waiting.
Please keep updating. Thanks

AHMAD786

Post by AHMAD786 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am

Hi applied 12 agust 2016 done bio matric in November till now no hear anything from home office still waiting !

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 am

AHMAD786 wrote:Hi applied 12 agust 2016 done bio matric in November till now no hear anything from home office still waiting !
I think we can hope in may or June to get a decision.
Update on the forum please if you get any communication.

AHMAD786

Post by AHMAD786 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 am

I think something will come up btw April or May Cuz I check on timeline thread mostly people got discussion in Btwn 8 to 9 months

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

Dylan - Guys, check out the FLR board, quite a few have posted updates. Looks like 6 months after biometrics, if requested docs decision is made fairly quickly within a few weeks. So for Aug applications (which we are waiting for) May is most likely when we will hear..

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for the update! I'll have a look on the board too :)

Fingers are still very firmly crossed...
bathanza wrote:Dylan - Guys, check out the FLR board, quite a few have posted updates. Looks like 6 months after biometrics, if requested docs decision is made fairly quickly within a few weeks. So for Aug applications (which we are waiting for) May is most likely when we will hear..

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Mon May 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi guys, have you heard any news from HO?
I applied in jul 2015 and still no news :(

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 pm

koolkate wrote:Hi guys, have you heard any news from HO?
Sorry to hear that... no news from the HO yet and we applied in August last year

Do you mean July 2015 or 2016? If 2015 I think they may have lost your application and/or you have grounds to request a judicial review

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 pm

dylan_far wrote:
Sorry to hear that... no news from the HO yet and we applied in August last year

Do you mean July 2015 or 2016? If 2015 I think they may have lost your application and/or you have grounds to request a judicial review
Thanks, hope you hear from them soon.
No I actually mean July 2015. My lawyer said that it's up to us if we want to wait until july this year or not. He's not being very helpful that's why I came here. Do you think we can request a judicial review now or just send them a reminder letter again, sent one dec last year?

dylan_far
Thailand

Post by dylan_far » Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm

koolkate wrote:
dylan_far wrote:

No I actually mean July 2015. My lawyer said that it's up to us if we want to wait until july this year or not. He's not being very helpful that's why I came here. Do you think we can request a judicial review now or just send them a reminder letter again, sent one dec last year?

I would say first send them a reminder letter and wait 2-4 weeks for a reply (I know...it's ludicrous that you have to wait at all). Remember to send all letters signed for (1pm guaranteed is best, but expensive).

If they don't get back to that letter I'd say a JR would be your best option on the grounds that they are taking an unreasonable time frame to consider your application. It's a FLR(FP) application right? I would think you have even more of a reason to apply for a JR if it is, based on your application being human rights based.

Is your partner legally remaining at the moment, while the app is being considered?

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 pm

dylan_far wrote:
koolkate wrote:
dylan_far wrote:

I would say first send them a reminder letter and wait 2-4 weeks for a reply (I know...it's ludicrous that you have to wait at all). Remember to send all letters signed for (1pm guaranteed is best, but expensive).

If they don't get back to that letter I'd say a JR would be your best option on the grounds that they are taking an unreasonable time frame to consider your application. It's a FLR(FP) application right? I would think you have even more of a reason to apply for a JR if it is, based on your application being human rights based.

Is your partner legally remaining at the moment, while the app is being considered?
Thanks for the great advice.
No, It's a 7 year child concession case, we applied in 2015 when my child spent 7 years here after a failed asylum case earlier which took our right to work here. This makes it even harder for us to wait.