ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Section 8(2) in Indian Citizenship Act, 1955

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nachiket123
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Section 8(2) in Indian Citizenship Act, 1955

Post by nachiket123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Does anybody knows answer to this question(?)

When one of the parents loses Indian citizenship through renunciation because he/she became foreign citizen and other parent is still Indian citizen, do child loses Indian citizenship?

Law says:

2) Where 1[ a person] ceases to be a citizen of India under sub- section (1), every minor child of that person shall there upon cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that any such child may, within one year after attaining full age, make a declaration that he wishes to resume Indian citizenship and shall thereupon again become a citizen of India.

@eashkuma4 : Could you please share the email you received from HCI London regarding this?

middletier 1

Re: Section 8(2) in Indian Citizenship Act, 1955

Post by middletier 1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 am

Hi Guys,

I thought of share this information as this is relates to what I am going through at the moment regarding minor child born in India holding Indian Passport can have Dual Nationality, where both parents are Indian passports holders with ILR.

I called FRRO in India and also got email confirmation from FRRo India that my daughter can keep both passports, please see below email I sent to FRRO;

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to inform you that my daughter (9 years old) has got British Passport very recently and currently she is holding Indian passport as she is Indian by brith.

I came to know that minors can keep Indian passport (i.e dual passport which means both British and Indian passports) until they are 16 years old. Could you please confirm so that we don't need to apply for her OCI, instead keep the Indian passport until she became major.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks"

FRRO reply;

Dear Sir/Madam,
She can keep both the passport till the age of 16 years.
-----
Regards
O/o FRRO, Hyderabad,(frrohyd@nic.in)
CGO Towers, Kavadiguda, Call:040-27541022, 27541088 Mon-Fri 0930-1800hrs

If this is the case then my daughter can hold 2 passports, however I am not 100% sure about this, thus seeking more guidance