ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion with standard visa duration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

isarwar
Newly Registered

Confusion with standard visa duration

Post by isarwar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi,

My mother got standard 6 months UK visa last month. She entered the UK on 25th December 2017 but she informed me that Immigration Officer has told her that he has reduced her visa to 3 months from the date of entry.

He has not provided any document or written on her visa sticker regarding change of visa duration. It has just normal entry stamp. I am confused what her visa's actual expiry date is.

I contacted UKVI 020 3481 1736 (very expensive call) but the lady told me she has no info and all she can say is if my mother's visa is multiple entries for 6 months then she can enter and leave any time in those 6 months. And she said she has never seen a case of standard visa duration getting reduced.

What should I do? Who should I contact to get correct information? Kindly help. Thank you

vinny

Re: Confusion with standard visa duration

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:15 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

isarwar
Newly Registered

Post by isarwar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. I agree my mother should have been given a written document for curtailment of her visa. Since she is not very comfortable with English so I am not even sure what discussion they had.

It looks there is no way to find out if her visa was curtailed or not.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Has she been making frequent and successive visits to the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

isarwar
Newly Registered

Post by isarwar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:14 pm

This is her second visit. The last one was in September 2015.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:15 pm

How long did your mother request to stay in her visitor visa application :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

isarwar
Newly Registered

Post by isarwar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pm

In the application, I wrote a month. But according to her, immigration officer was asking her why she needs to stay for so long. (Maybe) He was not happy with her answers, and then told her that her visa will expire 3 months from the date of entry, which is 25th December.

I am concerned if my mother plans to come in April again, how would we know if she has a visa or not. Immigration officer gave no written document.

isarwar
Newly Registered

Post by isarwar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Should I wait for a letter in the post or email for confirmation? Is there any other way?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 pm

If the Immigration Officer had reduced her visa to three months, then he should have given her written notice accordingly.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 pm

If she was not given a written notice (ideally on the spot) and there is no notation on the visa stamp in her passport, I am inclined to ignore the advice and treat it as a normal six month visa.

However, I would also suggest treating it as a warning that her travel history has flagged her up to the Border Force. It may be worth asking her to make an SAR to the Border Force (which is not a part of the UKV&I, but a separate part of the Home Office) while she is in the UK to see if there are any adverse comments on her travel history to the UK.

It is worth remembering that visit visas can be curtailed by Immigration Officers at the airport if they believe that the visitor is not complying with the requirements for visit visas (one of which prohibits "frequent or successive visits"). They must of course give such notice in writing, as Vinny has already mentioned.

PS: She did not give the impression that she was coming to the UK to look after her grandchildren or something along those lines, did she? That may be classified as unpaid work, which is also not allowed by the Visitor Rules.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

isarwar
Newly Registered

Post by isarwar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:51 am

Thank you for the replies.

No, she didnt say much. According to her he was a bit rude and constantly talked to her angrily. But as I said I am not fully aware of their conversation.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 pm

It would also be wise to bear in mind that if your mother stated she would stay for one month, this is the length of visit that she will be expected to adhere to. Extending the stay can result in a refusal for future visits.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Casa is right to be concerned.
vinny wrote: Be careful if stayed longer than previously requested.