ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for ILR (UK)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SAhuja
Newly Registered

English language requirement for ILR (UK)

Post by SAhuja » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 am

Hi reader,

I am applying for my ILR this year in July, and I have a couple queries on the English language test requirement for the same. I'm currently on the 5 year Spouse Visa route wherein in the first application as well as the FLR (M) one I had submitted my Academic IELTS Certificate from the year 2011 with an overall band score of 8 (B1).

On GOV.UK website I read that if I have an IELTS certificate that has run out but has been used in previous applications and is listed in the acceptable and approved IELTS tests then it should be fine to use.

However I am unable to confidently tell from the list on the website whether my certificate is still acceptable. Mine is an Academic IELTS whereas in the PDF list it says the life skills IELTS is accepted. However this certificate has been accepted as part of my previous application ie the FLR (M) nearly 2 years ago.

Also, I had called one of the IELTS test centres and the customer care executive informed me that only the UKVI IELTS is acceptable after the regulation changed in 2017. However GOV website indicates my certificate should still be acceptable on the basis that it has been used in two previous applications and also owing to the B1 score. Additionally I was informed that an Academic IELTS score of B1 is superior to other IELTS tests (such as life skills)

I could really use some guidance from any experienced or knowledgeable peeps in this regard before I start gathering all the necessary documents for my application and would be highly grateful for any help.

Thanks in anticipation,
Sakshi

Echoes

Re: English language requirement for ILR (UK)

Post by Echoes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 am

I sat IELTS General Training and was awarded an overall score of 8.5 back in 2012. The trouble is, whilst our certificates do satisfy the current English level requirement, they were removed from the list of acceptable tests in Nov 2015.

The only tests that are acceptable now are the ones having SELT specification. Therefore, you’ll have to take another test I’m afraid. I took Trinity B1 exam which is super easy as it is just a 10 minute informal chat with the examiner. It’s costs £150 though plus the aggravation of re-proving something you’ve proved already.

kingraja

Post by kingraja » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am

If you already use it in previous application and that test centre is still on ukvi list then you can use it again.I have confirmed this with ukvi help contact centre. I have applied under tier 1 Entrepreneur category & ukvi updated this in new tier 1 guidance(check yours category guidance) which states that:
Knowledge of Life and Language - settlement When you apply for settlement you are required to show that you have knowledge of life and language in the United Kingdom before you can be granted (unless you fall under an exemption). You can demonstrate this by passing both the Life in the UK Test and holding an English speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above (please note: both Academic and General training are acceptable).
You can call ukvi help contact centre & confirm this them.
rajathegreat

gmccarthy
South Africa

Post by gmccarthy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm in the same boat as OP. Also mailed ukvi and they don't reply back with a yes/no. Just say you can use it is it's on the accepted list. I was planning on using my old test but with a month to go and various posts saying its invalid I'm going to redo the test.

From my understanding you cannot use the IELTS exam if it does not have the SELT information. The older exams are no longer on the list of accepted tests.

Put it this way, a new exam costs £150. I would rather pay this than risk the ILR being declined which is £2297.

rikabi

Post by rikabi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi I am also in similar position, my wife took the IETLS general training back in 2012 roughly and it was accepted from both initial leave and further leave to remain even though it expired.

Now we are applying for ILR I wonder if we can use it. I believe you can according to the following guidance :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... n_1.21.pdf or https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ly-members

"Under transitional arrangements, applicants who took an approved test before 6 April 2015
may continue to rely on that test (if it was in Appendix O on 5 April 2015) to meet the English
language requirement in a partner or parent application as long as they submitted their
application before 6 November 2015 and regardless of whether the test was taken at a test
centre approved by the Secretary of State as a secure English language test centre. The list
of approved providers and tests at 5 April 2015 is available on gov.uk at: Approved SELT
tests transitional list"

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... uage-tests

What you guys think?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 am

No.
E-ILRP.1.6. The applicant must have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom in accordance with the requirements of Appendix KoLL of these Rules.
E-ILRPT.1.5. The applicant must have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom in accordance with the requirements of Appendix KoLL of these Rules.
ILR applicants may rely on Appendix KoLL and its guidance.

Unfortunately, there are no references to Appendix FM-SE nor Appendix FM guidance in Appendix KoLL and its guidance.

Therefore, ILR applicants cannot rely on Appendix FM-SE nor Appendix FM guidance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm

by the guidance of caseworker decision making, they cannot refused your application just because your English test is not valid, instead they should give you a chance to resit the test. however, quite some cases in this forum the caseworker wrongly refused their applicants and leave them nervous.

To avoid this (also the stress of unsure), just sit the B1 english test again has no harm.

vinny wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 am
No.
E-ILRP.1.6. The applicant must have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom in accordance with the requirements of Appendix KoLL of these Rules.
E-ILRPT.1.5. The applicant must have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom in accordance with the requirements of Appendix KoLL of these Rules.
ILR applicants may rely on Appendix KoLL and its guidance.

Unfortunately, there are no references to Appendix FM-SE nor Appendix FM guidance in Appendix KoLL and its guidance.

Therefore, ILR applicants cannot rely on Appendix FM-SE nor Appendix FM guidance.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 am

cyclina1 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm
by the guidance of caseworker decision making, they cannot refused your application just because your English test is not valid, instead they should give you a chance to resit the test.
Unfortunately, some caseworkers appear to be unaware of their guidance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mahamask
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by mahamask » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello,

I have my ILR appointment booked for this Saturday and I am/was relying on my IELTS Academic test from 2013 on which I scored 8.5. I am going through the 5 year spouse visa route.

Did anyone get rejected on the basis of using their old IELTS test? Any help would be appreciated.
And incase I need to do a new English test to prove my proficiency, can anyone recommend which test provides the quickest certificate?

Thanks!!!!!

smarty152
Newly Registered

Post by smarty152 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi, my wife is in exactly the same situation with ILR coming up.
Please let us know how you get on Saturday.

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:10 am

Hi Mahamask,
Good luck and best wishes for your ILR application success, please do remember to post on this forum the outcome result of your ILR application because lots of other people are also waiting to apply on same basis .... many thanks

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 am

I heard Trinity college results are quickest....

trueblue19

Post by trueblue19 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 am

bluebird12 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 am
I heard Trinity college results are quickest....
Yes Trinity SELT is very quick and painless, in terms of the actual exam (or interview rather as its really not an exam).

However, be mindful that one would only receive a provisional certificate on the day of the exam, which in itself cannot be used for the ILR/UKVI application. The actual pass certificate is sent by post and usually takes a week to arrive.

trueblue19

Post by trueblue19 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 am

mahamask wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm
Hello,

I have my ILR appointment booked for this Saturday and I am/was relying on my IELTS Academic test from 2013 on which I scored 8.5. I am going through the 5 year spouse visa route.

Did anyone get rejected on the basis of using their old IELTS test? Any help would be appreciated.
And incase I need to do a new English test to prove my proficiency, can anyone recommend which test provides the quickest certificate?

Thanks!!!!!
As long as the test centre where you gave your IELTS exam is still on the list of approved centres as of July 2018, you'll be fine. If not, it maybe a showstopper. I had an IELTS from 2013 as well with a band score of 8.5 but it was invalid now as the test centre isnt on the list anymore. Will wait to read how it went for you.

Drdelacruziii
Philippines

Post by Drdelacruziii » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 pm

mahamask wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm
Hello,

Thanks!!!!!
Hello,
How does your application goes after using your previous IELTS?