ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship After spending year on indefinite

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

africangirl
Mozambique

Applying for British Citizenship After spending year on indefinite

Post by africangirl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi All

I am just ready to apply for my british citizenship I just passed my Life In Uk TEST.

I was granted my indefinite leave a year ago after my 6 years on DLR. I am now confused on how do the process go:
Which application form do i use?
How much is the whole process?
Do i have to go for interview when i submit my application?
Do i need a supporting letter to go with my application

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for British Citizenship After spending year on indefinite

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Read everything on
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an

africangirl wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 pm
Hi All

I am just ready to apply for my british citizenship I just passed my Life In Uk TEST. English B1 test also needed (unless already provided for ILR) unless you have a degree from a UK institution

I was granted my indefinite leave a year ago after my 6 years on DLR. I am now confused on how do the process go:
Which application form do i use? Form AN
How much is the whole process? about £1300 for AN application, plus fees for LITUK & English test, plus Passport
Do i have to go for interview when i submit my application? No
Do i need a supporting letter to go with my application not if your application is relatively simple

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm

You would also need to check if you meet the Good Character requirements as a failed asylum seeker who was eventually granted DLR on humanitarian grounds.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-after-6- ... l#p1473931
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi ,

Thank you for the information but I have a few questions....

For the English Test I do have a degree I got from a UK university

As for the character do i need to get someone to write me a letter for character reference?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

UK degree is fine.

The good character requirement is not related to a person writing a letter for you and any such letter will likely be ignored.

There are specific things HO looks at, periods of no valid visa or legal stay included. You can read the requirements in link below.

british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... 05532.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you for all the information you giving me.

Is it best to do online application or just do a normal postal application.

As for character reference I am sure its up to home office to decide on that but i have never committed any crime no debts only that my asylum application was refused at first then I was given DLR after the refusal and I have been in the country for more than 17 years I came here as a minor.
Thanks

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:35 am

africangirl wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 am
Thank you for all the information you giving me.

Is it best to do online application or just do a normal postal application.

As for character reference I am sure its up to home office to decide on that but i have never committed any crime no debts only that my asylum application was refused at first then I was given DLR after the refusal and I have been in the country for more than 17 years I came here as a minor.
Thanks
There is a large risk you will fail the Good Character requirement because you may not have had valid leave to remain in the country before you got your DLR. It would be a shame to see you waste your money (and it's a lot of money... with no refund). On what date were you granted DLR? What was your visa status at the time? Maybe you could post a timeline with visa dates/expirations/applications?

It is important to note the being granted DLR does not constitute a successful application for whatever type was originally applied. It is a grant of leave outside the normal rules.

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

@ouflak are you telling me that anyone who has been on DLR or whoever has been granted papers after being refused their asylum case will never get british citizenship I know people who have been granted DLR through humanitarian but still get citizenship.

I hope there is someone outside there who has been granted citizenship after being on Dlr and are now british citizens even people commit crimes and do time but still become citizens of this country.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

You should read the link I have already provided on the good character requirements, which came into effect a couple of years ago.

You require 10 years of legal stay prior to citizenship application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:44 pm

I entered the UK illegally will this impact my application?

If you entered the UK illegally in the past your application will normally be refused for 10 years from:

1 – The date in which you entered the UK illegally if this is known to the Home Officer or I eneterd the UK with a visa then it expired after a few months but I was a minor then

2 – The date in which you first brought yourself to the attention or came to the attention of the Home Office. The home office came to know me in 2007 of which it has been over 10 years so i am sure now i qualify for citizenship right after 10 yr ban

For example, Joe entered the UK illegally in September 2007 and came to the attention of the Home Office in March 2008. Joe applied for citizenship in January 2015. Joe’s application was refused. Joe’s application will normally be refused until at least March 2018. This is because Joe entered the UK illegally and will therefore, normally be refused for 10 years from (2) the date in which he become known to the Home Office (March 2008).

africangirl
Mozambique

Citizenship from DLR previous asylum refusal

Post by africangirl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 pm

I entered the UK illegally not realy illegaly I had a visa then it expired so do i qualify as illegal will this impact my application?

If you entered the UK illegally in the past your application will normally be refused for 10 years from:

1 – The date in which you entered the UK illegally if this is known to the Home Officer or I was a minor so they can check that i was attending high school so they can verify the date I entered since i came through ireland with ireland visa

2 – The date in which you first brought yourself to the attention or came to the attention of the Home Office.I applied for asylum in 2007 even though I got my DLR IN 2011 so do i qualify now for ten year ban

For example, Joe entered the UK illegally in September 2007 and came to the attention of the Home Office in March 2008. Joe applied for citizenship in January 2015. Joe’s application was refused. Joe’s application will normally be refused until at least March 2018. This is because Joe entered the UK illegally and will therefore, normally be refused for 10 years from (2) the date in which he become known to the Home Office (March 2008).

Please help those who have been in the same situation or i need to wait another 3 years to make it ten years (6yrs DLR and 4 years on indefinate leave visa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I have merged your post from the General Discuss topic to your topic you have. Kindly keep all questions in this thread.

Topics Merged (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)