ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is UK Born Child to tier 2 parent eligible for British Citizenship?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tnila
India

Is UK Born Child to tier 2 parent eligible for British Citizenship?

Post by tnila » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 am

Hello Guys,

I am on Tier 2 General VISA, I have a dougher who is born in the UK recently, is she eligible for British citizenship? My conditions are:
    Child Born on 8th March 2018
      I have completed 5 years on Tier 2 VISA on 20th April 2018 so I will be applying for ILR soon(my Tier 2 visa is valid until 20 April 2019)
        The time child was born I was NOT on ILR

Based on above criteria is my daughter eligible for British citizenship? if yes how can I apply for?

Many Thanks.

CR001
        Mood:
        South Africa

Re: Is UK Born Child to tier 2 parent eligible for British Citizenship?

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:36 am

You can apply to register the child as British on form MN1 once you are granted ILR.
        Char (CR001 not Casa)
        In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
        Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tnila
        India

Post by tnila » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 am

Thank you, for your reply.

I have registered her birth in the local county council.

As I was not aware of MN1, so I have applied to register her birth in Indian consulate(which is still under process), will it harm during MN1?

As ever, thank you for help.

Djsuccess
        Diamond Member
        Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 pm

tnila wrote:
        Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 am
        Thank you, for your reply.

I have registered her birth in the local county council.

As I was not aware of MN1, so I have applied to register her birth in Indian consulate(which is still under process), will it harm during MN1?

As ever, thank you for help.

Child's birth registration is different from Child's British citizenship registration. Every child born in the UK should and would be registered whether they are citizens or not. The form MN 1 is what you will use to register the child as a citizen. You will only be able to do that after you have obtained your ILR because a child born in the UK does not automatically get British citizenship except either of the parents in a citizen or ILR holder. Registering your daughter's birth at Indian consulate will not affect her eligibility to get British citizenship as she can hold citizenship of both countries.

Go apply for your ILR, once it's approved, complete form MN1 and pay the associated fee to register your daughter as a British Citizen
        I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Djsuccess
        Diamond Member
        Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 pm

You will need to get a birth certificate for the child from the local council registry if you haven't done so already. That is what shows that she was born in the UK.
        I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.