ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 - Is it Valid After Activation? Or Due Date on your Passport?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 5 - Is it Valid After Activation? Or Due Date on your Passport?

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello,

I have a tier 5 UK visa and I have not activated it, yet. It is valid from May 2017-May 2019. I have not activated it yet. Does that mean that I can still activate it anytime from now until May 2019 and then my 2 year work visa starts? Or does that mean that I can only use it until May 2019?

Please help.

Thanks.

Casa

Re: Tier 5 - Is it Valid After Activation? Or Due Date on your Passport?

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

prp2 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 pm
Hello,
Or does that mean that I can only use it until May 2019?

Thanks.
The above. The date of expiry :idea:

Also note:
Visa application process (for overseas applicants)
Once a Tier 5 Certificate of Sponsorship has been issued to an applicant, they must obtain a Tier 5 visa/ entry clearance before they enter the UK, and have three months from the date the Certificate of Sponsorship is issued to do so. After three months the certificate will lapse and can no longer be used to support a visa application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Actually I have not activated it (BRP) yet. I had 1 month to activate it last year on May and I didn't. But does that mean I need to get another UK entry clearance (BRP appointment)? https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/replace

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Your visa is likely to have lapsed, meaning you've missed the boat (or aeroplane) ! At the very least, your BRP is no longer valid. :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Also note:
Visa application process (for overseas applicants)
Once a Tier 5 Certificate of Sponsorship has been issued to an applicant, they must obtain a Tier 5 visa/ entry clearance before they enter the UK, and have three months from the date the Certificate of Sponsorship is issued to do so. After three months the certificate will lapse and can no longer be used to support a visa application.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah so in response to that, that's what happened to me. I did not activate my BRP on time. Does that mean I have to re-apply for BRP again or complete an entirely new tier 5 visa application again?

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Your visa is likely to have lapsed, meaning you've missed the boat (or aeroplane) ! At the very least, your BRP is no longer valid. :!:
-------------------
In response to this, does that mean I have to get a new BRP or apply for another tier 5 visa?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:16 pm

prp2 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm
-------------------
In response to this, does that mean I have to get a new BRP or apply for another tier 5 visa?
Apply for another Tier 5 visa. The visa application only permits a deferred date of entry up to 3 months. If your posted dates are correct, you appear to have delayed your entry so far for 12 months :!:
(Casa, not CR001)

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks so much. Yeah I was not able to UK last year. I was not aware how crucial the time is to activate a visa. I've heard before, you could activate it in a few years time and then your visa starts from the day of your activation. I guess that doesn't happen anymore?

And bummer that I have to apply again. Considering the visa application is so costly!

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 pm

prp2 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:31 pm
Thanks so much. Yeah I was not able to UK last year. I was not aware how crucial the time is to activate a visa. I've heard before, you could activate it in a few years time and then your visa starts from the day of your activation. I guess that doesn't happen anymore?

And bummer that I have to apply again. Considering the visa application is so costly!
You also need to factor in the cost of the NHS (IHS) surcharge which is due to increase later in 2018 to £400 per year. i.e £800 for a 2 year visa in addition to the visa fee. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

prp2
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by prp2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 pm

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT When is it going to increase? Do you know?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm

prp2 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 pm
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT When is it going to increase? Do you know?
No confirmed date yet, but it's expected to be implemented in the Autumn.
(Casa, not CR001)

crackersand_cheese
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by crackersand_cheese » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Any luck on the re-application, prp2? I also need to re-apply, but I've been hearing that a second issuance may not be possible...